Log deletions

Dman620

I got a gps unit last year for xmas and with it decided to start caching with the kids, at that time we never really got around to entering them until a couple of nights ago ( however we wrote the dates of the finds on a sheet of paper) over the last couple days we have recieved about 10 different e-mails that are logs have been deleted would like to know why? and how do i prevent that from happening again.

thanks

I got a gps unit last year for xmas and with it decided to start caching with the kids, at that time we never really got around to entering them until a couple of nights ago ( however we wrote the dates of the finds on a sheet of paper) over the last couple days we have recieved about 10 different e-mails that are logs have been deleted would like to know why? and how do i prevent that from happening again.

thanks

Might I recommend more timely logging in the future? Not that that justifies the deletion of the logs if you did in fact find them. I would email the cache owners that deleted the logs and ask them why they did what they did.

thanks

Did you email the cache owner(s)?

Write the owner of the caches and ask them why first.

If it is because of your situation, you can explain.

They will be understanding I am sure...

Part of the reason they have a cache is to read about stories of the people who found their cache -- you have a story to tell them!!

Edited by j_czerwin

If you are using the same name you wrote in the log book you should be fine. Ask the owner to check the log in the cache to confirm you were there.

If you are using a different name, well I think you are out of luck.

Same if you never signed the paper log.

Tell the owner that after they confirm that you were there, you want an apology here in the forums. lol if you look hard enough at your screen, you might see the viens in the forehead popping out. :rolleyes::cool::)

But seriously, just ask them if they could go check the paper log in the cache, that should clear everything up.

I just scanned some of your logged finds. One of them on a now-archived cache was simply "lots of fun".

You might want to add a quick line about why you are logging late. Unfortunately there are people out there who will log fake finds on archived caches hoping the owner won't notice or care.

Yes, it's because you logged them so late. What's happening is now you have a bunch of cache owners who feel they have to go and check the log books in their hides. The holidays are approaching and everyone is busy. Your typical cacher will log his or her find that night or very shortly thereafter. And......a quick check of your profile says you have only been a member of GC.com since November 25th....so the cache owners know you were not a member when you made the finds. Your going to have to accept the fact that you can only log finds after you are a member. You're new and you're learning, so it's all good. Happy hunting!

Problem is worse than I thought, My wife had started a account under one team name and logged are first three, 9 months later not knowing this I started a account and logged them under my login name, so i guess we really messed up because we no longer saved the papers after i entered them and the finds are being deleted because we wrote in the log book the orginal team name. If anyone know how i can fix this problem i would appreciate it.

<snip> Your going to have to accept the fact that you can only log finds after you are a member. <snip>

That's not necessarily true. Most cache owners will have no problem accepting a late log as long as the reason is explained:

"Logging this late as I didn't have a GC account at the time of the find. Found with XXX and YYY. Had a great time. Thanks."

Problem is worse than I thought, My wife had started a account under one team name and logged are first three, 9 months later not knowing this I started a account and logged them under my login name, so i guess we really messed up because we no longer saved the papers after i entered them and the finds are being deleted because we wrote in the log book the orginal team name. If anyone know how i can fix this problem i would appreciate it.

"Signed as our old team name, XXXXX"

As a cache owner, if I start seeing one sentence (and often identical) logs pop up on my caches from the same person, it sets off alarm bells and I suspect they are phony. They usually turn out to be and when they are I will delete them. My guess is that this is what is happening to you.

To prevent it from happening in the future, try to log it on or as close to the date that you found it as possible. Also be sure to mention what you are doing. When my wife got her own account, we back logged over 100 caches and the logs all said something like "Found it with BrianSnat and now getting around to logging under my

own account" . She didn't have a one deleted.

To fix it, an e-mail to the cache owners is in order, letting them know exactly what you are doing and what name you signed the log book under. I think most owners will be OK with that and let you go ahead and log.

<snip> Your going to have to accept the fact that you can only log finds after you are a member. <snip>

That's not necessarily true. Most cache owners will have no problem accepting a late log as long as the reason is explained:

"Logging this late as I didn't have a GC account at the time of the find. Found with XXX and YYY. Had a great time. Thanks."

Hmmm......interesting. I guess there is no written rule on that. My sister went caching with me in upstate NY before becoming a member. When she got back to PA she created an account and logged the find. The log was deleted and the email from the c/o was rather nasty. That was just a week later. So I guess I based my post on that event. Live and learn.

As a cache owner, if I start seeing one sentence (and often identical) logs pop up on my caches from the same person, it sets off alarm bells and I suspect they are phony. They usually turn out to be and when they are I will delete them. My guess is that this is what is happening to you.

To prevent it from happening in the future, try to log it on or as close to the date that you found it as possible. Also be sure to mention what you are doing. When my wife got her own account, we back logged over 100 caches and the logs all said something like "Found it with BrianSnat and now getting around to logging under my

To fix it, an e-mail to the cache owners is in order, letting them know exactly what you are doing and what name you signed the log book under. I think most owners will be OK with that and let you go ahead and log.

Yep <_<

Dman620, your 'joined' date is only a month old, while your logging finds from a year, but those logs don't say much (tough, easy, hard one, etc). Some of the cache owners probably noticed this and think you're just some dork logging a bunch of fake finds. There are not any rules about how long you can wait to log a find, or what you have to write in the log, but your's do look a bit suspicious.

I recieved these logs for a cache I hid where I work.

Sent : Monday, December 18, 2006 4:09 PM

To : <>

Subject : [LOG] Owner: Dman620 found Vampire Bat (Traditional Cache)

This is an automated message from Geocaching

You are receiving this email because you are the owner of this listing.

Dman620 found Vampire Bat (Traditional Cache) at 11/26/2006

Log Date: 11/26/2006

lots of fun

Sent : Monday, December 18, 2006 4:11 PM

Subject : [LOG] Owner: Dman620 found Crypt of Stone (Traditional Cache)

This is an automated message from Geocaching

You are receiving this email because you are the owner of this listing.

Dman620 found Crypt of Stone (Traditional Cache) at 11/26/2006

Log Date: 11/26/2006

first cemetary cache. Very interesting.

Please note that Crypt of Stone is beside a building on a college campus (not a cemetery cache, I state it isn't in a crypt and you can find it at night) . I see a red flag. Most logs complain about Vampire Bat, so why not check it, it's close.

I see 4 logs for my caches fron a cacher with questionable logs, and I have a little time, so I take a walk, and I retrieve the 2 caches logged above. (I haven't looked at the other 2 caches). I take the caches, and review the logs, both original to the cache.

On Crypt of Stone, I see only a log "11/24 The Otter Team and Caspian".

On Vampire Bat, there is no written log for late November. There is an online DNF by Caspian of GC 11/24. (Which I honestly really didn't pay any attention to...this cache gets a few DNFs, especially when there are leaves or snow on the ground)

So, I delete 2 logs, but get called away from my desk before I can author a letter to the hider.

I recieve 3 emails...

Sent : Wednesday, December 20, 2006 4:25 PM

Subject : [GEO] Dman620 contacting BlackBrownDog from Geocaching.com

--This message was sent through http://www.geocaching.com --

once again we signed the log book under are old name team otter

thanks

I write:

I reviewed the book from Crypt of Stone and your name is on that cache dated 11/24/2006. It was quite confusing, since you mentioned that it was your first cemetery cache, and the cache is on UTs campus quite a distance from any cemetery, you may see how we were quite confused. Please re-log this find at your leisure.

Regarding vampire bat, I didn't see your name on the log book as Team Otter in that book. I'll check the stash note to see if you signed that on accident. If I can't find your name, I'll accept a description of the cache container to re-log a find.

I spoke with other area cachers, who were confused by this as well. You may wish to check your dates, as at least one of your logs was dated before the cache was even hidden. You can see how this would make one question the legitimacy of that log.

Usually when one logs under another name than signed, it clears up any confusion when you mention the other name signed in the book..."WReaper" in Cleveland is an expert, since I think he's logged about 300 caches and changed his name 3 times!

Sorry if this all seems strict for a game, but some players get upset when people claim finds that were not really finds.

Jen of BBD

I then invited him to our monthly meet and eat event since I forgot my usual invite to newbies.

No email to me in return, but...

...now, I've recieved a log for Vampire Bat and none for Crypt. <_<

*sighs* I guess my email wasn't clear...

Some other folks have been exchanging emails with him now as well. Hopefully we can get this all straightened out, and get a new cacher on track!

Edited by BlackBrownDog

Several of us in NW Ohio have discussed this, and I'm sure we can work it out. We can probably even help work out the confusion due to lost notes, and the confusion of logging the info to the wrong caches.

I know I've got caches confused before, and logged the wrong info for some. Eventually I've figured them out. And losing your notes doesn't help!

Besides an invite to our local Meet and Eats, you are also welcome to visit our local website at www.NWOGEO.org where we specialize in seeing how fast we can get specialized forums off-topic!

Thanks to everyone here for their suggestions and help!

Edited by GizmoGuy411

..... When my wife got her own account, we back logged over 100 caches and the logs all said something like "Found it with BrianSnat and now getting around to logging under my

Same here. When we decided my wife needed her own account, we went back two or more years, and over a hundred caches that we had done together, and had zero deletions.