Velcro

I've found a few caches where velcro was used to attach. I hate this. It's defacing the property (especially since in both cases magnets could've been used)

Wouldn't the cache cover the velcro anyway -- the cache itself is as defacing as the velcro? If the cache needed to be removed a little cleaning solvent would get the velcro sticker off just fine.

I think it would matter where you are hiding the cache and what you consider defacing. If it was a painted surface, then the velcro would actually do less damage long term, where magnets could scratch the paint and cause a spot for corrosion of the metal.

Defacing would be permenant damage in my opinion. Velcro usually doesn't do that. Just my opinion.

The biggest issue I see is using the velcro in the first place. Around here the glue doesn't last more than a few weeks and then the cache falls off and gets lost.

That would be my observation too, and why I would never use velco.

The one upside of velco is that the micro gets put back exactly where it should be, not just any old place the magnet will stick <_< ...

I tend to filter out the types of caches that commonly utilize Velcro to hold them in place. As such, out of 500+ finds, only about a dozen of these were Velcro hides. Of these, all but two had the Velcro affixed to a surface with something other than the sticky strip. Most of these were stapled in place, while a couple were held in place with gobs of glue. The two that relied on the Velcro sticky strip were laying on the ground. While the 12 or so Velcro caches I've found represent such a small percentage of the total, that I can't draw any realistic conclusions, it did leave me with a bad taste in my mouth for the use of Velcro. I won't use it on any of my hides.

I tend to filter out the types of caches that commonly utilize Velcro to hold them in place. As such, out of 500+ finds, only about a dozen of these were Velcro hides. Of these, all but two had the Velcro affixed to a surface with something other than the sticky strip. Most of these were stapled in place, while a couple were held in place with gobs of glue. The two that relied on the Velcro sticky strip were laying on the ground. While the 12 or so Velcro caches I've found represent such a small percentage of the total, that I can't draw any realistic conclusions, it did leave me with a bad taste in my mouth for the use of Velcro. I won't use it on any of my hides.

It's extremely hard to velcro one of your totally camo'd spanish moss, deer moss, palmetto chunks ammo cans to anything. So Mr. Riffster please don't use the velcro. I like the way your ammo cans just disappear so that even you have trouble finding them.

I haven't had problems with velcro on one of my caches for a long time. But then it is somewhat protected and I live in a dry area.

This is my experience as well. We have a cache that uses the heavy duty velcro, designed for rough surfaces (you can buy it in hardware stores or Home Depots). It is a regular size lock-n-lock container and has been attached to the inside of a storm drain for 18 months, weighted with swag, and is still going strong. I wouldn't try this with the cheap stuff though.

I have been using industrial grade velcro on my Jeep to hold the Sirius radio antenna on the roof. It's held up in snow, rain, sun, branch whippings and 70 mph wind from driving on the highway. One drawback: Getting it wet and having it freeze means you have to pour warm water on it to disengage the velcro.

Most of the caches in our area are hidden in natural areas so the velcro isn't necessary or practical.