Event Ettiquette

mgbmusic

You will be fine. Just walk up to anyone and introduce yourself. Bring a pen and paper, so you can get a few phone numbers and names. One of the things I like to do, is find out who is going, go and find a couple of their caches. (this way you will have something to talk about with that person). All that will really be going on is: everyone eating and talking. Ask questions, any kind of question, these people will be able to answer them. The most important thing, don't be nervous, just go and have fun!!!

You will be fine. Just walk up to anyone and introduce yourself. Bring a pen and paper, so you can get a few phone numbers and names. One of the things I like to do, is find out who is going, go and find a couple of their caches. (this way you will have something to talk about with that person). All that will really be going on is: everyone eating and talking. Ask questions, any kind of question, these people will be able to answer them. The most important thing, don't be nervous, just go and have fun!!!

Yep, you'll feel like an outsider for less than a minute. :rolleyes:

:) Keep in mind the geocaching weirdo factor. :) If you can't spot the weirdo in 20 minutes or less, I haven't gotten there yet, or it's YOU. :P:):cool:

Edited by Snoogans

You might suggest a conversation-starter, sort of an ice-breaker if you will, to the host. Maybe you could give a film can with a log in it to four attendees... I don't know, maybe call them North, South, East and West, and tell all attendees that they can log them if they find them. Perhaps suggest that they find the cache by asking attendees something like "Is that a cache in your pocket or are you happy to see me?". You could perhaps call them Pocket Caches and everyone that signs one could log an Attended note for each one they find. I don't know, but I bet it'd be a great way to get strangers to meet and get to know one another. <_<

Actually, this is the thing I love most about geocaching - the people. I can see an event listed anywhere in the country, an hour lunch, a casual weekend campout or highly organized mega-event, show up not knowing a soul there, be immediately accepted and have a ball, and leave with a bunch of new geoPals!

That has been proven time and time again! It's not just me, it's everyone! Everyone I have ever seen show up at an event, even the quite shy and timid, is welcomed and immediately included.

I have even seen folks who bust each others chops in these forums meet at events and find out the actually like one another!

Enjoy!

Ed

Maybe you could give a film can with a log in it to four attendees... I don't know, maybe call them North, South, East and West, and tell all attendees that they can log them if they find them. Perhaps suggest that they find the cache by asking attendees something like "Is that a cache in your pocket or are you happy to see me?". You could perhaps call them Pocket Caches and everyone that signs one could log an Attended note for each one they find...

What the hell?!!

Would they have to leave the event then return, so the multiple "attends" would be legit? <_<

I thought that pocket caches weren't allowed anymore ...?

Don't be afraid to walk right up and say "Hi. I'm Harry Dolphin" (or insert name here). After people stop throwing things at you, they are usually quite friendly. Of course, I've managed to insinuate myself in private business discussions this way. <_<

Adopting the newbies is not a bad thing, either. I was at an event at a public dining facility in a park in a large city. (I walked in saying 'The coords are 70 feet off") Someone said "Those people with the GPS over there look like they belong here", and snagged them into the event. No one is sure how they missed the giant cardboard Yellow Jeep with the giant cardboard travel bug tag, hanging from the umbrella over the table...

Actually, this is the thing I love most about geocaching - the people. I can see an event listed anywhere in the country, an hour lunch, a casual weekend campout or highly organized mega-event, show up not knowing a soul there, be immediately accepted and have a ball, and leave with a bunch of new geoPals!

That has been proven time and time again! It's not just me, it's everyone! Everyone I have ever seen show up at an event, even the quite shy and timid, is welcomed and immediately included.

I have even seen folks who bust each others chops in these forums meet at events and find out the actually like one another!

Enjoy!

Ed

That's because we are a huge nerdery that welcomes our own kind because there are so relatively few of us. <_<

Hey all, I'm gonig over to my first event today and I was wondering - It's located at a restaurant - Is there anything I should do/expect/not do, etc. Just curious as to what's up with these things and if there's anything I sohuld know going in?

Thanks in advance!

--MGb

Thanks everyone. I had a great time. Eyeseeit showed me the ropes when I got there - about 20 min before everyone else! It was fun discussing chaching and Treo's (pocket PC vs. Palm) techy stuff, non-techie stuff. Some mini cachers came and had a ball. Eyeseeit and GBFI had a nice Icebreaker - Geocacher bingo. I didn't really fill out the card, but it was fun all the same.

TAR - no worries. I'm always surprised when any thread goes beyond 10 posts w/o drifting off topic <_<

Nothin' but love for ya'll!

--MGb

Your subtitle (adopt a newbie) is an awesome idea for us to include officially into event agendas!

It'd be even more fun to attach a travel bug to the newbie and then hide him in a cache...

...Said the girl with three posts....Nothing to do with events I realize, but you have to see the irony...<_<

--MGb

Dang, I lost the bet. <_<

I bet the thread would go 4 posts beyond TAR's before the outcry and the lighting of torches and gathering of pitchforks. Shucks. :ph34r:

mob.jpg

I'm not sure why someone would introduce a subject known to be extremely controversial, other than starting more controversy. Ed was fishing for a reaction and he got what he was looking for.

Edited by briansnat

Dang, I lost the bet. :ph34r:

I bet the thread would go 4 posts beyond TAR's before the outcry and the lighting of torches and gathering of pitchforks. Shucks. <_<

I'm not sure why someone would introduce a subject known to be extremely controversial, other than starting more controversy.

I agree.

Stop talking about shooting milk out your noses. It's too controversial. :wub:

Is there anything I should do/expect/not do,

Don't snort milk through your nose when you laugh. Its a big turnoff, especially with the chicks.

Do you guys in NJ drink milk at your events? :D

I think we just figured out why Mopar moved to CT!

Hey, he started the whole thing.

And then moved outta state, and left Avroair in charge of the milk.

Suckers! :(

I wanna know the answer to the flipside: I went to an event yesterday and kept getting pestered by some newb named mgbmusic. :o

What should I have done to avoid the harrasment? :)

I was wondering how long it'd take for someone there to read this... :o

Personally to avoid harrassment I perfer the "chicken whisperer" approach.

Maybe I'll explain at the next event now that I'm a grizzled old vet...:D