NOAA's 200th anniversary

caseyb

So yesterday we kicked off the NOAA 200 year celebration. In 1807 Jefferson signed a bill that created the Survey of the Coast, which is the origin of the National Geodetic Suvey and all those benchmarks many of you are looking for. Yesterday was also the kick off day for the new NOAA 200 website, that has a ton of information on our 200 years of history.

Check it out sometime and enjoy.

http://celebrating200years.noaa.gov/

-Casey-

:rolleyes:

Wow! Lots of great stuff at this site. I can't believe Papa Bear NYC hasn't logged Buttermilk - LX4113, identified as the oldest surviving triangulation station in the country.

How about it Papa Bear? FTL?

I've thought about it. It's on the Rockerfeller Estate. I haven't gotten to it. It has an interesting recovery history: LX4113. For a while (1932) it was considered lost.
RECOVERY NOTE BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1932 (FLG) STATION WAS SEARCHED FOR BUT COULD NOT BE FOUND. HILL IS NOW ON ESTATE OF MR. J.D. ROCKEFELLER. IN ABOUT 1904 TWO LARGE WATER TANKS WERE ON THIS HILL UPON LARGE CEMENT PIERS. WHEN THESE WERE REMOVED A FEW YEARS AGO, PIER FOUNDATIONS WERE BLASTED OUT AND STATION WAS UNDOUBTEDLY LOST.
Then Found again in 1934
RECOVERY NOTE BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1934 (DBM) STATION WAS RECOVERED SUBSTANTIALLY AS DESCRIBED BY C.A. EGNER, 1932. NOTE--CARE SHOULD BE TAKEN NOT TO CONFUSE TRIANGULATION POINT (WHICH IS A 3/4-INCH PIPE CEMENTED IN ROCK) WITH A U.S.G.S. BENCH MARK DISK WHICH IS ABOUT A FOOT SW OF STATION.
Edited by Papa-Bear-NYC

Papa Bear

The 2006 recovery log in the NGS database gives the name and phone number of a person to contact for access to this mark. I wouldn't mind visiting this "Holy Grail" of survey marks myself, but don't know when I can find the time to do so. If I can swing it, however, I might be able to lend an air of "offical business" to the search as a licensed land surveyor who hails from another Rockefeller fiefdom in Vermont.

Casey,

Will there be any opportunities for some of us to get involved in anything? There are some of us who live near enough to D.C. to come to events or help plan and set up displays if desired, and others who can travel freely.

Yes there will. There are a number of events planned for next year, and they will take place all over the country including D.C. I will post more info on events as it becomes available.

Casey,

Does the agency plan to set any commemorative markers to mark your bicentennial?

-ArtMan-

Absolutely! There are a number of marks that are in the works.

Kansas is interested in participating in some fashion. When we heard that the official anniversary was in February, we didn't think we could get something set up in time. Then NGS said that the celebration was going to be all year long. So the Kansas Society of Land Surveying is going to do some kind of celebration around here. Maybe in April, May or June; we haven't done much for it except to recently decide that it's going to happen.

cantuland

p.s. Check out the NSPS Geocaching Project at waypoint GCXWVE.

(NSPS = National Society of Professional Surveyors)

The Kansas Society of Land Surveyors is going to have a surveying/geocaching event.

On Saturday, April 14, 2007, KSLS will sponsor the

NGS 200th Anniversary Kansas Celebration

in Emporia, Kansas.

I'll tell you what I can remember about what we have planned so far. I have better details at the office computer, but I can only access the forums from the home computer. KSLS had a surveying seminar Jan 11-13. We got to hear Dave Doyle talk about the NGS celebration. After getting all pumped up and excited about the idea, the Kansas celebration looked like it was crossing over to becoming a reality. That was early last week, just a few days ago.

So, everything is still a "suggested" format, but we have to pin down things fast if KSLS is going to advertise for surveyors to get PDH credit. That's where money comes in from the surveyors.

There was a KSLS Board meeting already scheduled for April 14, 2007, in Emporia. We wanted to go for something with Meade's Ranch but haven't pursued that spur yet. Geocaching.com's official CITO day is also April 14. I happen to favor all things related to renewable energy and environmental consciousness, so we decided to combine the bunch.

More on the next post...

Morning will be the CITO at a place that is undetermined at the moment. I tried to get in touch with the Emporia State University Environmental Club, but email and phone number contact information is out of date. I left a message with the "front desk" that was printed out and put in their mail box. No response yet. Hopefully the CITO will finish in time for lunch. I want to do some worthy cleaning, not just pick up a few plastic cups from a relatively clean park. Still looking for ideas on a good site that doesn't involve heavy machinery or chemical cleaning. We talked about picking a site that has a geocache or an NGS bench mark, but ideas are open and I think it needs to be a site that is worthy of a CITO cleaning event.

At 9 a.m. is the KSLS Board meeting. I expect to be at the CITO site before the board meeting, so I'll leave to go to the meeting and give my status reports. After the board meeting and after the CITO, we have LUNCH! Lunch will be at an Emporia State University cafeteria. I don't know yet if there is one cafeteria or more of them around the campus; more details to feather out. Each person pays ESU for the cafeteria food. I'd like to find out what the menu looks like too.

After lunch everybody meets in some ESU room to hear the NGS speaker. This is the part where the surveyors pay to get credit and geocachers get to hear for free! (unless a geocacher wants to get some continuing education credit for surveying, I guess)

We haven't figured out if give aways are going to be during lunch or after the NGS show. But there are ALWAYS give-aways at the KSLS meets. Bug swaps need to be scheduled in there somewhere too. At Mahaska, the bug swap seemed to be a spontaneous side-trip into a spare room. I'd like this time around to be better, to enlighten the surveyors to the wise old customs of the great geocachers.

After the NGS show, the seminar is "officially" over. After that is perhaps a group tour of some ESU caches? Or perhaps a short road trip north to the huge NSPS Geocache (GCXWVE) with lots of pictures on the way? Perhaps the weather will decide that one.

I thought it would be cool if some group got together before this April 14th event and did a "pilgrimage" trip to Meade's Ranch (with permission from the land owner) and made a DVD of the trip. I don't know what is involved in making a DVD but I was hoping for each attendee to receive a complimentary DVD as part of registering for the event. Registering doesn't mean paying, unless you want the surveyor's ed credit; that's different.

That's what we have so far. We planned it through emails during the week and have to finalize details soon so that we have ample advertising time.

I'm open to ideas.

Ernie Cantu

geocacher: cantuland

email: geocacher@sktc.net

KSLS forum: http://ksls.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=178

KS Cachers forum: http://kansasgeocaching.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=1

I have a good repore with the Land Owner of Meades Ranch Reset.

I talked to them last year about having a Big Shin Dig.

They are willing to allow us to have an event there and are anticipating my reply.

I just need to set it up and get it going.

Got a Camera (Movie type) will travel.................

Edit...........

E-mail sent for the Pilgramige to MECCA I mean Meades Ranch.

Edited by GEO*Trailblazer 1

It was.

They are setting up some dates for us to choose from.

Are we having FUN Yet?

We will be for sure.

My video camera is a little outdated I am looking into a newer version to use.

I will get it one way or the other.

I am getting excited just thinking about it again.

The years I waited to get there and now I get to go again.....wopeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

By the way Kyle is the Landowners name,he asked not to give out the last name.

Evie is my contact person and a very close personal friend of his who sets up the tours.

They are concerened if a large number of people show up that we keep it clean.

Just a good way to introduce CITO.

Will post more when known.

Before we "head in" to the monument, we should group up and dole out some film canisters filled with trash bags...and have a place picked out to put the trash afterwards...perhaps the back of someone's truck? (until we reach the nearest town)

I would think that it would make a good impression if every participant had a wadded up trash bag in their pocket.

Evie says she will be doing hamurgers on the hill for Participants.

It will be a nominal cost of course.

I will get with the Kansas Administator or you can see if he will approve an Event for there.

I will also keep her informed on a possible date that would be good for all.

It appears most anytime in April,May or June is available.

We could do the CITO,have a hamburger and Climb the Hill to MECCA I mean Meades.

That sounds like an awesome idea!

By the way, the surveying event that had preliminary plans for April 14 in Emporia, Kansas, won't work, so it is being postponed (or revised) until some other day. The NGS 200th anniv surveying event will be some other day. April 14 is open for Groundspeak CITO day to be held wherever. I'm planning on doing an April 14 CITO SOMEWHERE. Probably in Wichita near my home area.

cantuland

Did I hear something about if one of us found the Oldest USC&GS there might be a Honorable mention or something of that nature.

Or is my mind just have grandeur visions?

Anyway I would like to start by Finding the Transcontinental Arc Mark Versailles North Base Stone and Benchmark disc 1880.

The Stone is chiseled with the Marks

U S C & G S

JD0295 VERSAILLES N BASE

And as far as I know we are still on for the event as planned.

They will get back to us if changes on the dates.

Little ways off yet.

Geocaching Event GC14DP9 will be this coming Sunday!

Geodetic Center Tour '07 at Meades Ranch

Sunday, July 22, 2007, 10:00 a.m.

Check out the event for details. I know the date is very near. Sorry. I was touring the western half of the U.S. for two weeks and working out details for this event on the fly. I finished my vacation on Sunday and made the submittal on Monday. Finally this Meades Ranch trip is going to be "for real".

-cantuland