Unit for Brother In Law

thcri

My brother in law wants to start geocaching. His wife wants to buy him a unit but wants to only spend $200.00 I have been away from geocaching for some time now and not sure what is out there for new units. I like garmin products but don't have to stay with them. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

murph

If you hurry you can find the Garmin Venture CX for around $150 with the Garmin $50 rebate (good until 12/31). The Venture CX is a color unit with autorouting and expandible map memory. As your brother in law gets more into the sport he can add memory and the detailed maps, but it will work fine out of the box.

Its a budget unit that he might never outgrow.

Or consider a Garmin eTrex yellow. You should be able to find it under $100 at various stores - Walmart in our area stocks 'em.

It's a basic unit without maps, but you'll be over your budget anyway if you need to buy a gps and maps.

And it makes a great backup unit - I use my yellow when I'm out kayaking and keep the more-features gps for dryer pastimes.

If your brother-in-law decides he wants a "better" gps later, he'll probably want to look at the various features that are important to the way he actually is using the gps and of course, the costs for everything including maps.

In the meantime, a yellow will work perfectly well for geocaching or for marking hunting or fishing spots.

Edited by jon & miki

My brother in law wants to start geocaching. His wife wants to buy him a unit but wants to only spend $200.00 I have been away from geocaching for some time now and not sure what is out there for new units. I like garmin products but don't have to stay with them. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

murph

thegpsstore site has the magellan 210 including case, topo cd and 12v adapter for well under $200. We sent one to my brother in law--ups is delivering it today. Happy holidays.