Japan...

snppla

My friend is going to Japan. I'm letting him borrow my Garmin Etrex for fun. It should work just fine, right?

Sure, it can track the satellites anywhere on the planet. I am not familiar with the Etrex, but regardless if it has maps or not, it can still leave a breadcrumb trail of the route(s) your friend takes. When he gets home you can download the tracks to Google Earth...very cool.

Edited by Barrikady

My friend is going to Japan. I'm letting him borrow my Garmin Etrex for fun. It should work just fine, right?

It should work fine. I wish I would have had a GPS when I was there a long time ago. Their maps are very different and I could never figure out where I was. The orientation of maps and insets are random. I was told north isn't aligned up because it is bad luck. The streets were not named either.

There is a new PSP attachment GPS that isn't sold here, yet. It is supposed to be around $50. http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/portable-me...llow-220383.php

Currently deployed to Okinawa, all the Caches here are WGS 84, and there are absolutely no problems with any GPS, I use a 60csx, some of my guys have Explorist, Etrexs, etc. There are no maps in my GPS, but if you have it programed or have software your square. I download to GSAK and then pull it into my GPS and PDA.

Edited by shelineclan

Currently deployed to Okinawa, all the Caches here are WGS 84, and there are absolutely no problems with any GPS, I use a 60csx, some of my guys have Explorist, Etrexs, etc. There are no maps in my GPS, but if you have it programed or have software your square.

I assume you know that you can download free Garmin maps for Japan. I'm not sure about the coverage on Okinawa, but major cities are actually pretty good. It proved to be very useful when I was visiting Tokyo...

http://www011.upp.so-net.ne.jp/mametaro/index-e.html

Snppla,

I used my Etrex yellow a couple weeks ago to find Nagoya Castle Micro. It worked with no problem - once it even displayed an accuracy value of 7 feet - and that was with WAAS turned off.

It will take awhile to aquire the first signal. Just be patient. Mine stumbled for around 10 minutes before it asked me "Have you moved hundreds of miles from last use?" and then another 10 minutes after. But it worked fine in the end.