Geocache with the least visits and why?

Snoogans

:)

#1 What is your longest running cache with the LEAST number of finds.

#2 Why?

#3 Why do you keep it listed instead of archiving it?

#1 Mine is Row versus Wade (or Possibly Deliverance!) It was placed on 11/2/2003 and only 9 people have found it to date. I have it on good authority that another half dozen have attempted only to turn back without posting a DNF.

#2 Why: It's a total b1tch to get to this one legally unless you know the property owner. :)

#3 I haven't archived it because of the awesome, if very infrequent, logs I get on it. Although, I did consider archiving it once. BTW I have a TerraCache (Banjo Music aka Why Is Daddy Crying?) just 110 feet away that has only been found once and it was placed with better than $100 worth of swag in it over a year ago.

Edited by Snoogans

We have a cache that's been out since the end of April, and only 4 finds on it. Why? Don't really know, you can drive right to it, it's a great little informative stop, with some pretty good views. The only thing I can think is that it's 20 miles off the freeway, and people just don't want to detour that far. We're hoping to place another cache or two within 10 or so miles, maybe increasing the cache "density" will help. :)

I'll Bite :)

Secret of the Fox

Only two finds in one year and two months. My guess is because of the puzzles, and a few hoops to jump through. I have no plans to archive this cache.

Alpine Butte

Only five finds in 1 1/2 years. No plans on archiving it.

Eisen-Faust

Only one find in 2 1/2 months. Read the description.

Phobia

Only three finds in one year and three months. I guess most of the cachers are too chicken.

Shell Island cache was placed last March, it's had one find. It's a boat cache, a great kayak or canoe along a beautiful wild portion of the river, but the ramp itself isn't terribly accessible.

I have a multi out that hadn't had a find in a year, and now 2 finds in the past months. Another cache where the trailhead just isn't near anybody. And it's a bushwhacking cache. Two Rivers! This multi is on my own favorites list, it's my own favorite of my caches. Navigational challenge, and a couple of really special places.

#1 What is your longest running cache with the LEAST number of finds?

The Vent GCGQNQ with 10 finds, placed on 8/24/2003.

#2 Why?

It's a very tough 9 mile hike across a broken lava field with no trail.

Two reasons. First, it's an ammocan and still has plenty of good swag (according to reports). Second, I really really don't want to make that hike again to retrieve it.

Well, I've been caching two and a half years, with nineteen active caches.

So, for caches out over a year, my least found is Indian Falls - Slippery When Wet Nine finds in fourteen months. The puzzle isn't that hard, but the first stage is nasty. :)

Of our caches less than a year old, the most discouraging is our favorite cache! Clueless: The Revenge of Andy Bear. Also a mystery cache. Four finds in August. None since. It's not a difficult cache. But it is a six stage mystery/multi with a hiking permit required from the NWCDC. It's a great hiking area. It's a beautiful area, with some great views. The four finders have raved about it! WE think that this is the best cache that we have put out!

Hacker's Cache #1

One year, 5 logged finds.

It is a puzzle. That is the primary reason for the lack of finds. It has no redeeming value other than solving the puzzle, so it is possible that some have solved the puzzle and don't care to log.

I see no reason to archive it. The park it is in is pretty much devoid of interest as far as caching goes. I suspect if someone wanted to put a conventional cache there and emailed me thus, I would consider dumping it or moving the matchbox to a lamppost or something.

Other than this one, all of mine are getting a lot of visits.

I just archived one that was still moderately popular because it was grandfathered with ref to the State park policy and it appears to be their intent to have different cachers "rotate" hides.

Even if I had one that was getting very little action, i would not archive it if it was in good condition and I had no reason to call it "lame".

I have two.

The Ironman was placed in Feb. '04 and has 7 finds. I did have it disabled for a while because the only trail in the area was closed because they found toxic waste in the area have been cleaning it up. Its a pretty tough bushwack no matter what and tougher now that the trail is closed.

I haven't archived it because its a real pain in the butt to get to, but also because its in an extremely interesting, albeit somewhat dangerous spot.

The other is Centurion.. It was placed in Oct of 04 and has 10 finds. Unlike Ironman, this one has never been disabled. Its only tad over 1/4 mile from the road as the crow flies, about 3/4 mile walking. It is a pretty stiff climb, but the view at the top is worth it. My guess as to why its so unpopular is that its sort of a 'tweener. Not many geocachers are willing to get out of their car to find only one cache, so its not attractive to that segment of the community. The rest expect a good, long hike if they are going to stop, and a 1.5 mile RT hike isn't worth stopping for.

I haven't archived it because its a great location.

Edited by briansnat

GCYEWG. My first cache. It's the oldest of all my still-relatively-new caches. Four cachers have logged finds. It's in a park in the city. I know the 5/3 rating is scaring some folks off, but it's pirate-themed, and there's no way I'm gonna archive this. They said 'swag' in the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie. How'm I not gonna capitalize on that? :rolleyes:

Geocache with the least visits:

Our GCKGHA ("New Holly") was hidden 09/08/2004 and has 86 visits but only 66 were actual finds.

Why:

I placed five caches that week in an area of Seattle that had few (and still has few) regular sized caches. SE Seattle has had a reputation of being a tough area with high poverty and crime rates and I placed these caches to bring people to an area that has an interesting history and a multi-ethnic presence.

We used to live near Philadelphia, PA and our worst neighborhoods in Seattle are upper middle class compared to the war zones of N, W and SW Philadelphia.

Why don't we archived it:

Why would we? We are pretty diligent about cache maintainance, the log is less than half full and when it goes for a long time without being found, we drop off a travel bug in it.

Unless you are going to stop geocaching or the cache is a notorious problem child, why would you archive a perfectly good cache?

Edited by brodiebunch

I posted this in the "most visited" thread, but I'll throw it in here too.

My least visited cache is Hometown History Revistied (placed 1/5/05) 14 logs, and 4 finds. It's a long multi, even though it's mostly driving to 4 historical areas before getting to the final. Plus it is in an area with only a handful of cachers around, and not all that close to any of the major metro areas around the state.

To add to this, the reason that I don't archive it is because Bjorn74 would yell at me again, as he did after archiving the first one. :rolleyes: Secondly, I enjoy the concept of the cache, and sharing the local, sometimes lesser known, history of the area. I've considered breaking this down into individual caches, but most of the stops really don't lend themselves to regular caches due to lack of hiding spots, or being tastless to put one there.

Rapunzel has 26 finds in almost 4 years. It generally only gets found once a year (zero finds in 2006) by cachers that team up to float down the river together. 100 images from 39 logs!

Why keep it around? A: I love the logs and the pictures on the rare occasion that it is found. It brings back memories of the great adventure we had hiding the cache.

Quarry Cache (GCK36Y) was placed on 25/7/2004. It's had 6 visitors so far. The reason? It's a serious 4X4 trail to get there, although one team managed it on mountain bikes.

The cache has been muggled twice, so far, but I will continue to try keeping this one active as it's one of the few off-road caches in the immediate area and those who have done it, thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

:) GCTKMZ 2 finds, (3 cachers in total) since placement March 3,2006- Why it is a long walk in scary territory to a non descript location, you have to be a manly man to do this one-even though one of the finders was a woman. The area has a scary reputation. :P

GCQG6N 6 in 14 months. Why because you have to be a manly man to go for this suburban park cache. I have been emailed and told that this is a tough suburban cache, I don't know after I placed it I was unable to get back to it, it was too tough. :)

GCVVGG--4 finds 8 months in a suburban park with a twist. Yep, you have to be a man, a smart man, to go for this one. So what your toes get a little wet. :rolleyes::cool:

I had a kayak cache that sat for 6 months no finds, I thought about archiving and BrianSnat went an FTF during a storm that was lashing the area with hurrican force winds, horizontal rain and such. Then he did another of my kayak caches the same day. I thought to myself, What is wrong with that Guy. :)

Edited by Packanack

My Terrarium GCX1K4 - About once a month for a find. I keep having to put coins in it to lure people.

#2 Why?

It is a multi, which takes time, but it is also in the city where you have to find parking and depending on where you park, you pay while you work on a multi. Also, there are a lot of urban people which many people feel uncomfortable being near. (like homeless)

It is my first cache and why archive one just because it does not get a lot of traffic. I think it is a great thing for those special people that find themselves off of the main paths of life. As long as it's well maintained.

The Vent GCGQNQ with 10 finds, placed on 8/24/2003.

#2 Why?

It's a very tough 9 mile hike across a broken lava field with no trail.

Two reasons. First, it's an ammocan and still has plenty of good swag (according to reports). Second, I really really don't want to make that hike again to retrieve it.

That cache is on my watch list, my WOW list and my I WANNA GO THERE list. It just sounds SO awesome!

Our oldest and least found cache is Callahan's Riddle, placed in March of 2003. With only 12 finders.

#2- it is a puzzle and while the cache itself is hidden just a quick walk from the trailhead, the puzzle seems to stump alot of people.

#3- This was a pretty fun puzzle to create and I put alot of effort into getting everything to work. Folks seem to like it once they have solved it...

-J

My longest running cache (also my only cache) is my Top O the World cache. It has been around since late 2002 with lots of attempts, but only 1 find.

It sat unfound for just over 25 months the first stint, but that record is being challenged as it has currently been 24-1/2 months since it's last find.

#2 Why?

It is located waaay down in Baja near La Paz. It is not too far away from civilization, but getting there is really tough. One of the attempts was by an organization that does off-road tours down in that area. The leader of the group called for a pit stop right at my cache location with the agenda to nab my cache. He had the whole group looking for it, but came up empty handed. Fortunately he did post some cool pics.

It is a grandfathered vacation cache which is kinda cool. We have a house down in Baja and I check on it when I get the chance. Keeping it also allows me to post to these kinds of threads when they pop up from time to time.

Middle of Santa Fe Trail.

Its had 12 finds in 16 months, BUT......only 2 of those finds were without very specific help from myself.

I list this because, its over a very well traveled highway through California, so I expected tons of hits from travelers. Plus, Its not like the few I have stashed up in the mountains off a dirt road thats washed out part of the year.....I EXPECT those to be rarely found. Not a cache directly over 99 though!

Why? I can only guess two reasons. First its a micro. EEEWWWWW! But it couldnt be anything other. And its rated 4 stars, so I guess thats not enough lure to get folks off the highway. ( or is it a freeway? Who knows? ) I do have folks pass through and look for caches CLOSE to the freeway that I placed when I was starting out and am not proud of . I keep hoping THOSE will just disappear! But dont you know, they stay. Sigh. And give me a bad name.

Will I archive? No way! This is by far my BEST cache. And its one of those caches that is totally exposed to the public. Many people pass it daily!

My Valley of Ten Thousand Smokes virtual in Katmai National Park in southwestern Alaska. I "placed" it on July 16, 2002 and it has yet to be logged.

#2 Why?

Katmai National Park is a relatively remote location that is only accessible for a short period each year. In addition, getting to the site requires a 46 mile round-trip journey from the place where most of the float planes arriving land. The Park Service provides a bus to the location, but it costs $79.

Eventually a cacher is going to end up there and appreciate having a cache to log (although the location is worthwhile in and of itself).

My least-visited is at my lake place, GCJ1DW Gone Campin', 50 miles out in the country and well off the beaten path - in fact you have to discover your way down 20 miles of paved country backroads and 7 miles of unmarked dirt roads to find it!

Or, you can come by boat, it's only six miles from the boat ramp!

Still, it's been visited 28 times since 3/28/2004.

When it is visited I usually get great logs, like this one:

"Was at the lake this Saturday with friends and a few were very interested in learning more about caching. "What better way!" Took the pontoon boat and waverunner after this one. Couldn't find a good appoach from the pontoon so hopped on the "watercycle" and found a good spot from the south to access land. My coords were sayin' bout 35 feet off, but the trees were fully clothed this time of year, found it anywho. That couple I mentioned who were interested in caching, they bought a GPSr on EBAY not even a day later! Thanks for the fun find!"

I own 7 of the 15 island caches on Lake Martin in SE Alabama... it takes about 11 hours to do them all, but they get visited regularly all summer and occasionally in the winter.

I keep them out because if one cacher enjoys the experience then I am happy!

Ed

Anasazi Ruins

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...b5-dd93738b3d46

Three visits since 8/24/2002

The first visit took over 1 year since it was hidden.

Although this is a virtual cache there is a log book and container at the site.

From the nearest parking area, this cache requires a 40 mile round-trip hike or horseback ride.

Why should I archive it? It may be a challenge for some to find. Add it to your list.

My oldest surviving cache known as the Grey Diamond Ghost Trail was hidden on Nov. 18, 2001.

Its finds by year are:

1. 2001 - 2 finders
  2. 2002 - 0 finders
  3. 2003 - 1 finder
  4. 2004 - 3 finders
  5. 2005 - 4 finders
  6. 2006 - 1 finder

It is now disabled for the winter, but will get a re-hide come Spring '07 with new containers and swag.

I will keep it going as long as possible, because its such a nice place to hike and the cache was my first of many multis that I have hidden.

I have many more out there that also only are found several times a year, and I have no urge to pull them. And have plans to hide one this spring that will be the toughest one so far. And if that one gets a find a year that will be okay. Quality not quantity.

There's one I desparately want an opportunity to find :D GCMW62 It's in Mexico, close to where my Mother spends her winters. The last 2 winters I've gone to visit there for a week... this is my first year Geocaching. The cache was published in Feb. of '05 and only has 6 finds, one DNF and a note and there's a travel bug listed there that's been there for over a year. Only one find in '06 and that was in March.

I am not sure if I'll get there this year but if I do I will go hunting for this one... my Mom will think I'm nuts, but that's nothing new ;) Would like to move the bug but I doubt I'll leave another since it's not a frequently visited spot.

Jenn

:laughing:

#2 Why?

#3 Why do you keep it listed instead of archiving it?...

1) I would guess that our cache with the least finds is my Psycho Backcountry Cache #3 - Bitch Creek Crossing. It is a 5/5 which was placed in September 2005, and was first found in mid-November 2005 by two teams (three cachers in total), and has not been found since then. So, there were three finders (subsumed under just two cacher accounts) and then no finds in 13-plus months since then.

2) It is a rather extreme cache (see the fotos on the listing page...), and is located in a very isolated wilderness area along the ID/WY border, and thus sees little traffic, and the cache hide site is usually unavailable for about 6 months of the year due to snow and ice accumulations.

3) My hiding partner (a local wilderness guide in the ID/WY area) and I have never even considered archiving the cache. We both knew from the start that extreme terrain caches tend to garner few finders, and that 5/5 extreme terrain caches such as this one, located in the wilderness -- far from populated areas -- have an even lower find rate. We are happy to leave the cache emplaced to serve those who may wish to seek it in the future.

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

My caches get hit pretty often, my least popular one right now is Lakeview, its a cache on a TINY nature trail, with a great view of a lake, hasn't been found in 2 months.

The cache that I love reading the logs best from is Over the Lion's Den, its an uncamoflaged nano hanging on a branch over (when I placed it) a bunch of antlions

cache has 38 visits, lots of dnfs and I almost always get a good laugh from them.

1. I have only hidden 3 caches so far. I have 2 in West Virginia (Muddy Creek Cache and Twister Hideout) that have been only found twice since they were hidden in June 2006.

2. These caches are the only ones in the county. There are very few cachers that live nearby to this area. These caches are not park and grabs.

3. Hopefully some locals will get interested in geocaching and go get these caches. Also if WV ever has a county challenge, Tyler county is covered.

WILDLIFE averages about 1 find per year.

why? it sure isn't a driveby! tough terrain.

didn't expect it to get many finds. judging by the feedback i get, the folks that do find it get a great deal of satisfaction in having overcome the challenge inherent in an extreme cache. they're the ones i hid it for.

-harry