Thinking about moving...

Team Jac'd

Hey all, my family and I are thinking about moving over to New Jersey, New York, or Conneticut so that we can be closer to our family while being close to decent places to work in hi tech.

Q1: Where are the good places to live and bad places to live?

Q2: Here in Washington, the local community for geocaching is quite active. Can I get people's feedbacks about how the geocaching community is there in the North East?

thanks,

Poppa J

They all have plenty of caches. Of course, I kinda like caching in the area you are in right now, too. :)

Some things to keep in mind (or not). I've spent a fair amount of time in WA, and from what I've seen the cost of living in the NYC area (NY, NJ, or CT) is generally higher then in WA.

After that, they each have their pluses and minuses.

I would say that politically CT is probably the closest of the 3 to WA, if that matters to you.

NJ's car insurance rates are among the highest in the country, but CT's gas prices are generally 20 cents a gallon higher then NJ. CT also has one of the highest electricity prices in the US.

Forget NJ or NYC if you are a gun owner, and NY state is only slightly better. Cost of living is very high in all 3 states, but so is the avg income.

The overall tax burden in all 3 states is higher then WA, I believe.

You can't drive far in NY or NJ without paying tolls; CT doesn't have any.

Lots of ying and yang. The only thing consistant is all 3 states have great cachers and some great hikes, along with plenty of easy ones if that's your thing.

Its a very active community here in northern NJ. Lots of great caches in the area, unless you're into the Walmart park and grabs. We don't have a lot of those.

There are good, OK and lousy places to live here. What you need to do is decide what is important to you. Good public schools? Lower tax rates? Lower cost housing? More house and land for the money? Suburban? Urban? Semi-rural? Easy commute? Short distance from NYC? The beach? There are a lot of tradeoffs. For instance if you want more house for your money, you might need to deal with a longer commute. If you want better schools, you may have to spend more on your house (wealthier communities tend to have better schools).

What my brother-in-law did before he moved here from Hong Kong was to list all the things that were important to him, assign a weight to them, then find the towns that most closely met his criteria. He eventually came up with a list of 10 towns and visited each one to see if it looked as good in person as it did on paper.

Once you decide what is important to you, ask again and I'm sure one of us long time residents can steer you in the right direction.

Edited by briansnat

Lower tax rates? Lower cost housing?

lol is there such a thing? :cool:

I'm about to join the many who move over to pa, and still commute to nj. I know there are other strings attached to such a move, but nj is really starting to get annoying with taxes and such.

And yes, my car insurance is 4 times the amount my friend pays in indiana... :rolleyes:

lol is there such a thing? :cool:

I'm about to join the many who move over to pa, and still commute to nj. I know there are other strings attached to such a move, but nj is really starting to get annoying with taxes and such.

And yes, my car insurance is 4 times the amount my friend pays in indiana... :rolleyes:

I said lower, not low. Low doesn't exist in NJ. But if you look at the tax rate in Essex/Bergen/Hudson/Passaic counties vs. the rates in Morris/Sussex/Somerset, there is quite a difference. My parent's property tax in Passaic was 3 times what we pay in Kinnelon , yet our house's value is more than double theirs.

Just got back from Federal Way a couple weeks ago...

Depends, the public transportation (although lacking) is far better than Washington's (lack of) so you can commute by train into the city.

Q2: Here in Washington, the local community for geocaching is quite active. Can I get people's feedbacks about how the geocaching community is there in the North East?

As a group we are active but don't have the same numbers of involvement both with Geocachers and Geocaches. Our cache density is lower which reflects in our numbers, there is also alot to do besides caching so it seems to me that it is a hobby among many for alot of us.

How about coming for a visit and we will show you around, and if we like ya you can stay. :rolleyes:

Just got back from Federal Way a couple weeks ago...

Depends, the public transportation (although lacking) is far better than Washington's (lack of) so you can commute by train into the city.

As a group we are active but don't have the same numbers of involvement both with Geocachers and Geocaches. Our cache density is lower which reflects in our numbers, there is also alot to do besides caching so it seems to me that it is a hobby among many for alot of us.

How about coming for a visit and we will show you around, and if we like ya you can stay. :rolleyes:

Federal Way is okay... doing some caching out there, and have some good friends that live there. From what I can see, the cache saturation in our area is about the same as certain points in CT/NY/NJ.

A1: Depends on where you live here to. We live in Kent, and just over an hour from my door to bus to train station to train station to office. Is there a good place to look online for the trains that run through the area? i.e. here in the PNW we have "the Sounder" and www.soundtransit.org.

A2: It depends on your viewpoint. One thing I like about WA is the WSGA which organizes meetings and get togethers. For example, each month there is a meeting to talk about geocaching related issues and tools, and to share techniques and stories. We had the state parks guys in to talk about changes to how we place our caches in state parks, and it was really productive. Also, the summer campout is a blast every year!

I was wondering if there is the same kind of meetings or get togethers. If not, I would be more than happy to organize some in the area we would settle down in.

Just trying to ask good questions and make an informed geo-opinion.

cheers,

Poppa J

I was wondering if there is the same kind of meetings or get togethers. If not, I would be more than happy to organize some in the area we would settle down in.

There are no regular meetings in northern NJ (at least that I'm aware of. They could be having them and excluding me :rolleyes: ) other than the NNJC awards event which I assume will be annual.

Events are fairly frequent and well attended though. We also will get together informally for

group cache hunts from time to time. Sometimes they are orgainzed here in the forums and other times between a few cachers offline. Its easy to get an invite on these excursions.

The G.O.N.E. event has been a blast the past two years, where the NNJC rented an old Boy Scout camp for a weekend campout/event (and cabins for those who aren't into the tenting scene). G.O.N.E. draws cachers from several states and is the big event of the year.

There are no regular meetings in northern NJ (at least that I'm aware of. They could be having them and excluding me :rolleyes: ) other than the NNJC awards event which I assume will be annual.

Events are fairly frequent and well attended though. We also will get together informally for

group cache hunts from time to time. Sometimes they are orgainzed here in the forums and other times between a few cachers offline. Its easy to get an invite on these excursions.

The G.O.N.E. event has been a blast the past two years, where the NNJC rented an old Boy Scout camp for a weekend campout/event (and cabins for those who aren't into the tenting scene). G.O.N.E. draws cachers from several states and is the big event of the year.

Thanks for this talk guys, it is appreciated.

NNJC? G.O.N.E.?

That seems cool. Here on the Wet Coast (trust me, that is spelled properly), its usual for people to have events about every other month in the winter, and 2-4 a month in the summer. I am not asking for that many events as a major choice in moving, but we found that it helps us pick and choose the ones to go to.

Do CT, NY and NJ also have Delrome or County challenge cache?

cheers,

Poppa J

Speaking for CT, it's pretty much the same as North Jersey when it comes to organized caching. We have several monthly events that pretty much cover the state. I've cached with many many of the past and present WSGA officers and members, and we don't have anything quite like that here. Cachers here are just as socialable, just not as formal I guess.

Since you are from WA state, one thing I would note that others have not is that certain parts of this area will have that unique West Coast look of mountains not too far from the water, for example much of the Hudson River area north of the Tappan Zee Bridge (albeit on a MUCH smaller scale in terms of elevation and things like rock formations than where you're from).

I say this because if this is important to you, you will probably be happier living in western CT, anywhere in NY State north of the City (i.e. Westchester and Rockland counties and points north) or in northern NJ west of the Garden State Parkway or north of I-80 than in other parts of the area. Not that the rest of this vast metro area is bad by any means (just ask anyone admiring a seascape at Montauk Point), but they tend to have flattish terrain and while the mountaneous stuff may look real close on a map, you have to remember that there's lots of traffic and toll bridges along the way. The 50 or so miles between say Nassau County (Long Island) and the Bear Mountain area can easily take you 2 or more hours to drive to. But from Rockland County, it can take under 30 minutes and no tolls.

If you're ever exploring the area before moving, you should check out our Davenport Park Micro cache (GCZJ0P). It has some nice rocky coastline very close to NY City that will remind you (again, on a much smaller scale) of the coast of WA or OR. Larchmont Lark (GCPR71) is also in a similar area, maybe more so because the whole walk to the cache is rocky/cliffy coastline whereas ours is only that way right at the cache site.

Also, these areas will have the more challenging caches (because of the steeper/rockier terrain), though Long Island and even NY City itself is certainly not lacking in caches or cache activity (in fact, in terms of new caches, they are probably the "more active" areas).

Good luck!

Edited by HaLiJuSaPa

lol is there such a thing? :(

And yes, my car insurance is 4 times the amount my friend pays in indiana... :D

Pa is full, there's no more room ! :D

If you'r heading for the Pocono's forget it, its getting like Newark East.

Crime, Drugs, and all the big city evils.

Sorry if I sound crass,but our infrastructure can't take any more.

We have schools here that are obsolete before they open their doors for the first time.

Thread on the NJ Counties challenge: New Jersey County Challenge

And the reward cache and explanation:

NJ Tour De Cache

We have quarterly meetings for the NNJC officers to plan for the next three months. The Northeast has MANY more smaller cache groups rather than statewide groups so in a given month there can be up to 12 events in within 100 miles in any given direction (100 miles for me and I am in either, Delaware, Penn, Connecticut, Upstate New York or Long Island... not to mention within New Jersey).

New Jersey itself has two caching groups: Northern New Jersey Cachers (NNJC) and South Jersey Cachers (SJC)... there is also various groups in Penn, Conn and NYC. So there are plenty of organizations outside of the one in your potential immediate area.

Not all of pike and monroe counties is like that is it?

I need a place where I can't see my neighbor. I work nights, so on my days off, i'd like to be able to swing a hammer and run my saws without having neighbors complain, all at 3:00am of course.

I need a place where I can't see my neighbor. I work nights, so on my days off, i'd like to be able to swing a hammer and run my saws without having neighbors complain, all at 3:00am of course.

Not sure about Pike,but I have Grandchildren in Stroudsburg that are now bieng home schooled.

Years ago it was fine when you can come in from NYC or NJ and buy twice the house for half the money with the same commute time as you had from LI, or Conn.

Now that commute time is getting much longer. Anyone been on I 80 lately?

And behind every gatehouse you pass there may be as many as four thousand homes hidden from the view of the main road.

Double the amount you see on this old topo map just in this one development. Notice how the NE. side bumps right up against the Pa State Gamelands.

hidden gated community in Monroe

Thread on the NJ Counties challenge: New Jersey County Challenge

And the reward cache and explanation:

NJ Tour De Cache

New Jersey itself has two caching groups: Northern New Jersey Cachers (NNJC) and South Jersey Cachers (SJC)... there is also various groups in Penn, Conn and NYC. So there are plenty of organizations outside of the one in your potential immediate area.

Cool information... thanks. Washington Delorme Challenge finisher myself, with KidAce my (then) 8 year old daughter. Don't ask how many miles of driving.

To answer one of the posted questions in those threads, if you look at my homepage: http://de_winter.home.comcast.net/home/public/caches.htm you will notice a couple of pages, one for counties and one for the WDC. If someone has a bit of time, its pretty easy to come up with a region map that you can use in GSAK to figure out caches in a given region.

If someone was to point out what they wanted regionalized, I could easily translate them.. just tedious, not too hard. The worst thing is coming up with the points themselves, and having an agreed upon standard.

And no, after doing the WDC, doing the Washington County Challenge (i.e. visiting all of the counties over again) is not an option. ;-)

cheers,

Poppa J

I read somewhere that Monroe County has one of the highest percentage of foreclosures of any county in the US because of all these people from NJ and NYC who couldn't really afford even a relatively cheap home but were taken in by developers giving overly easy credit (at high interest terms) to low-income working class folks who desperately wanted to buy a large home that you would need a substantial 6-figure income to afford closer to "the City".

In addition, for years the NY Daily News catered their Real Estate section to convincing people to move from the 5 boros and inner NJ to Monroe County. They still do to some extent

Anyway, my in-laws have a 2nd home in what is technically "the Poconos" (but WAY past Monroe County, almost near where I-80 meets I-81), having gone there several weekends a year, I can answer this a bit.

Where their home is is very nice and quiet as you'd like, but it is too far to commute to the NY area (it's an hour past the Delaware Water Gap). From what I've seen driving through Monroe County, a lot of what olbluesguy says is true, especially in the towns right along I-80 (and traffic on I-80 itself in Monroe during rush hour looks almost as bad as I-80 does in NJ between the GW Bridge and I-287, we've had to plan our visits to their place so we don't cross the Water Gap, etc. during commuting hours, very sad! (Often we take a Friday and Monday off to make it a long weekend but increasing traffic has changed this)).

Pike County is not on my way to their home, but I have been there in the past. From what I hear it is growing (with folks looking for just the extreme quiet you are), but not in the overly explosive way Monroe County has. It's too far away from major highways for it to really be commutable to any part of the NY area except Orange County, NY (and perhaps Rockland and if you really push it, parts of Westchester County near the bridges).

By the way, olbluesguy, I think you meant Newark WEST. East of Newark is Manhattan. :(

Edited by HaLiJuSaPa

""By the way, olbluesguy, I think you meant Newark WEST. East of Newark is Manhattan. ""

Yea,I know, but when I think Newark I automaticly think East. :( .

I hate to be a grinch, and rain on anyones parade, but I would rather give a heads up to what's going on up there than for someone to find out the hard way.

This topic has been a thorn in my side for years, ever since the Natives started getting driven out by higher taxes, and such.

By the way, Mount Airy Lodge recieved a slots licence only yesterday...Happy Motoring.

Yes, rampant suburbia has invaded Pennsyltucky. I'm in NW Jersey (Yes. That's Jersey. Not New Jersey.) I have several coworkers who commute the hour-and-a-half from NEPA. Personally, I think they're nuts! Northwest Jersey is a very beautiful area. If you don't mind bears (we have over three thousand), and an occasional mountain lion, and your basement falling into an old mine shaft. As Brian mentioned, a lot of northwest Jersey is preserved in state parks, state forests, watershed and/or the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area. And, thanks to the NYNJTC, we have a great set of trails to get lost on!

Yes, rampant suburbia has invaded Pennsyltucky. I'm in NW Jersey (Yes. That's Jersey. Not New Jersey.) I have several coworkers who commute the hour-and-a-half from NEPA. Personally, I think they're nuts! Northwest Jersey is a very beautiful area. If you don't mind bears (we have over three thousand), and an occasional mountain lion, and your basement falling into an old mine shaft. As Brian mentioned, a lot of northwest Jersey is preserved in state parks, state forests, watershed and/or the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area. And, thanks to the NYNJTC, we have a great set of trails to get lost on!

We are pretty lucky in that way in northern NJ. There is a lot of preserved land and great places to hike and cache. No, it's not quite the wilds of Colorado or the Cascades, but when you consider that you can see the Empire State Building from most overlooks and be in Times Square in an hour (off rush hour), its pretty impressive what we have available here. I've spent time in a number of other populated areas and in most of them you'd have to drive an hour or two to find what we have practically in our backyard in northern NJ. Heck, I can walk out my backyard, hop on a trail and eventually reach the AT and be off to Maine or Georgia (if I were ever so inclined).

We are pretty lucky in that way in northern NJ. ...

Okay, so we have 2 kids, 4 and 9, and we would like to live in an area of NJ/NY/CT that is something people would recommend. Its seems that from the geocaching point of view, things are set no matter where we go.

Right now, just looking at a couple of jobs in the area, but there is already really positive feedback from one in Manhattan, so just trying to gauge what to expect in terms of realistic commutes and places to live.

For a measure, my current commute, door to door is 1:15 in and usually the same of maybe 15 minutes more on the way back. Part train and part bus. That is currently a commute I am okay with as I can usually work on puzzle caches and reading on the train.

Where does that put me in terms of a realistic commute?

cheers,

Poppa J

One thing about Jersey is it's diversity. I have never been to another place that has more types of people, places and things.

Taxes will make you miserible and the polotics will confuse you.

But you are conveniently located to NYC and Philly either by car or mass transportation.

If your looking for employment in technology, pharmacuticals, bio-sciences or finanace. I don't think you can do better.

Besides, Jersey is home to Pork Roll. That is reason is enough to move. Plus, you don't have to pump your own gas!

For a measure, my current commute, door to door is 1:15 in and usually the same of maybe 15 minutes more on the way back. Part train and part bus. That is currently a commute I am okay with as I can usually work on puzzle caches and reading on the train.

Where does that put me in terms of a realistic commute?

That's what it takes me to get into The City from South Brunswick via the train/car from Jersey Avenue in New Brunswick.

One thing about Jersey is it's diversity. I have never been to another place that has more types of people, places and things.

Taxes will make you miserible and the polotics will confuse you.

But you are conveniently located to NYC and Philly either by car or mass transportation.

If your looking for employment in technology, pharmacuticals, bio-sciences or finanace. I don't think you can do better.

Besides, Jersey is home to Pork Roll. That is reason is enough to move. Plus, you don't have to pump your own gas!

Politics I stay out of, at least for 5-6 years. Taxes... how bad? Diversity is cool, as we think that is a good thing for us and our kids. Technology... that's me. Check out my home page on gc.com for an example of something I put together in my spare time.

Pork Roll? New latin dance? Good ribs place in Atlantic City?

cheers,

Poppa J

We are pretty lucky in that way in northern NJ. There is a lot of preserved land and great places to hike and cache. No, it's not quite the wilds of Colorado or the Cascades, but when you consider that you can see the Empire State Building from most overlooks and be in Times Square in an hour (off rush hour), its pretty impressive what we have available here. I've spent time in a number of other populated areas and in most of them you'd have to drive an hour or two to find what we have practically in our backyard in northern NJ. Heck, I can walk out my backyard, hop on a trail and eventually reach the AT and be off to Maine or Georgia (if I were ever so inclined).

The same is somewhat true of Westchester County as well! However, from what I've seen you can get the same kind of things in NJ (I would suggest west of the Garden State Parkway and/or north of I-80, the other parts look a lot like the stereotypes of NJ) for a little bit less housing cost than in Westchester, which has become mightily expensive (we live in a condo because it costs so much!). Commuting to Manhattan can be a little tougher though, many of the train lines only go to Hoboken instead of directly to NYC and then you switch to the PATH subway; TPTB are looking to improve this, but with political and budget wrangles I could easily see these improvement not happening until 2020! (no, that is not a typo). Good luck!

As said before, lots of tech in NJ, especially pharmaceutical companies (though they tend to heavily be in a stretch in the center of the state between Elizabeth and Trenton).

Edited by HaLiJuSaPa
Right now, just looking at a couple of jobs in the area, but there is already really positive feedback from one in Manhattan, so just trying to gauge what to expect in terms of realistic commutes and places to live.

I live in Kinnelon in Morris County. Great schools, excellent community for families with children. Kinnelon is about 25 miles from NYC as the crow flies, to the west and a bit north. When I commute to NY, the commuting time varies widely, depending on where I'm going in NYC. It involves driving about 10 mins to the train station (Towaco and Boonton stations are equidistant from my house), then taking the train (Montclair - Boonton Line) to Hoboken, then the ferry or the PATH (the under river connection between NJ and NY) to Manhattan. I can be in Manhattan in about an hour and 15 minutes taking the train. From there it all depends on how far my destination is from one of the PATH stations. When my home office was up town near 3rd and 48th street, the commute was two hours total. Now that it moved to the World Financial Center, when I get off the ferry I'm there, so that knocks off 45 mins.

I can also drive or take the bus. Driving can be a lot quicker when there is no traffic (like 5 a.m.), but then you have to worry about parking, so its not an alternative for most people, unless your company provides parking.

I have never taken the bus, so I can't speak about that commute, but I know one leaves from nearly walking distance from my house.

I'd have to say that unless you live right across the river from Manhattan, if you take the train in you're talking between 45 mins and an hour and a half commute to Manhattan, plus whatever is involved once you get there. The train commute isn't too bad. You can sleep, do work, read, chat on the phone, whatever.

If you are working in Manhattan and living in NJ, your best bet is to find a town along one of the major NJ Transit lines and near a station. The home prices tend to be more expensive in these towns though.

One good thing to do would be to come out here for a few days and check out the various areas. If you need someone to escort you around northern NJ, I'd be happy to.

Edited by briansnat

Don't get "escorted" by Brian. The last three geocachers that he made this offer to were never heard from again. Maybe they were scared off by his pink tutu.

I live in Kinnelon in Morris County. Great schools, excellent community for families with children. Kinnelon is about 25 miles from NYC as the crow flies, to the west and a bit north. When I commute to NY, the commuting time varies widely, depending on where I'm going in NYC. It involves driving about 10 mins to the train station (Towaco and Boonton stations are equidistant from my house), then taking the train (Montclair - Boonton Line) to Hoboken, then the ferry or the PATH (the under river connection between NJ and NY) to Manhattan. I can be in Manhattan in about an hour and 15 minutes taking the train. From there it all depends on how far my destination is from one of the PATH stations. When my home office was up town near 3rd and 48th street, the commute was two hours total. Now that it moved to the World Financial Center, when I get off the ferry I'm there, so that knocks off 45 mins.

I can also drive or take the bus. Driving can be a lot quicker when there is no traffic (like 5 a.m.), but then you have to worry about parking, so its not an alternative for most people, unless your company provides parking.

I have never taken the bus, so I can't speak about that commute, but I know one leaves from nearly walking distance from my house.

I'd have to say that unless you live right across the river from Manhattan, if you take the train in you're talking between 45 mins and an hour and a half commute to Manhattan, plus whatever is involved once you get there. The train commute isn't too bad. You can sleep, do work, read, chat on the phone, whatever.

If you are working in Manhattan and living in NJ, your best bet is to find a town along one of the major NJ Transit lines and near a station. The home prices tend to be more expensive in these towns though.

One good thing to do would be to come out here for a few days and check out the various areas. If you need someone to escort you around northern NJ, I'd be happy to.

Maybe they were scared off by his pink tutu.

It's not pink, it's mauve. :o

Should I be worried? seriously? ;-)

I am going to be visiting Manhattan at least the weekend after new years, and am trying to get there a day early to see about renting a car and looking around the area. Too little time to get something organized to help me get a good idea of the area?

cheers,

Poppa J

Maybe they were scared off by his pink tutu.

It's not pink, it's mauve. :P

Should I be worried? seriously? ;-)

I am going to be visiting Manhattan at least the weekend after new years, and am trying to get there a day early to see about renting a car and looking around the area. Too little time to get something organized to help me get a good idea of the area?

cheers,

Poppa J

Depending on the day and my workload, I may be able to meet you one day that week.

Well, about to head off this weekend for my trip...

Anything to see? Anyone to meet?

cheers,

Poppa J

Where precisely are you going?

Precisely, my hotel is near Park and 57th in Manhattan. I would like to see Central Park and any other areas that are interesting from both a tourist and geocaching point of view.

cheers,

Poppa J