recovery of 1859 chiseled cross

mapjunkie

I found two Public Lands Section Corners similar to this earlier this year. Both were chiseled crosses on rocks set in the mid 1850's.

I found the Northwest Corner of Section 7, T19S R15E, M.D.B.& M., Fresno County, California on January 31, 2006. We found a large boulder scribed with a cross and 'R XIV E' (Range 14 East). (This corner is also known as the SW Cor., Sec 1, T19S, R14E) It was most likely scribed with 'T XIX S' as well, however it has eroded away, probably from the winds that come up off the valley floor. I was actually leaning over the rock, looking down in the crevase and my hand was covering the cross. I didn't see in until I got up and moved my hand.

Close Up

90645909-S.jpg

Link to Big Pic

View East. The cross is on the rock just above the top of the white pipe.

90645912-S.jpg

Link to Big Pic

View North

90645916-S.jpg

Link to Big Pic

On March 14, 2006 I found the Northwest Corner of Section 12, T19S R14E, M.D.B.& M., Fresno County, California. Found a rock scribed with a cross in the middle of a small pile of stones. Possible remnants of a small cairn. The area was over grown with foothill prarie grass but with some detective work and the help of some old (late 1800's) barbed wire remnants still strung out on the ground, we found it. This was an exciting find, knowing that another surveyor knelt where I was, over 150 years ago, and scribed this little cross for me to find. I hope my marks are around as long.

Corner Site

91387821-S.jpg

Link to Big Pic

Close Up

91387823-S.jpg

Link to Big Pic

View West

91387827-S.jpg

Link to Big Pic

View South

91387826-S.jpg

Link to Big Pic

- Kewaneh

Edited by Kewaneh & Shark

Ooooooo...so THAT's what "Baseline" in Boulder is all about. I lived there a few years and never heard about it being the border between Kansas and Nebraska territories.

It’s interesting how many initial points are near the intersection of Baseline and Meridian Road.

I was born in Boulder. I also wondered about the name of Baseline Road.

I have a KML file for Google Earth posted here that shows all the Initial Points. You maybe able to “save as” or you may have to select all, copy and paste into notepad than save as a KML file.

Corrections and updates welcome.