Rum in a cache

Dinoprophet

I just noticed the last log on this cache says the last finder left a bottle of rum. Glass bottles are dangerous, a kid playing in the area might accidentally find it, foodstuffs are forbidden, and it might freeze and break, ruining the cache. It's the finder's only find, so it's probably an honest mistake.

If anyone is in the area, would you mind doing a quick park-and-grab to remove the rum? That'd be great!

:):)

I'm pretty sure that the rum won't freeze given that the freezing point for an 80-proof drink (assuming they left decent rum :) ) is around -30F (-34.5C), and the cache is IN A VOLCANO...

Also, I'm pretty sure that kids will not be playing in the area, again, considering that the cache is IN A VOLCANO!

And, as stated earlier, I think after hiking through a desert, avoiding armed nomads (like the sand people in Star Wars?) and rappelling into a volcanic crater, I would really not mind having a shot of rum :-)

Now, all they have to add to the cache page is "remember to bring a bottle of coke" :)

After checking out the cache page, I was really hoping to see an indignant post here, screaming about how horrible it is to expose children to liqour in a cache! I guess by now there have been too many references to Ethiopia, volcanoes, rappelling, desert nomads etc to expect anyone to get off on a rant about the evils of DEMON RUM. Too bad, I'll just have to sit back and wait for the next controversial topic to stir up those emotions. :)

I just noticed the last log on this cache says the last finder left a bottle of rum. Glass bottles are dangerous, a kid playing in the area might accidentally find it, foodstuffs are forbidden, and it might freeze and break, ruining the cache. It's the finder's only find, so it's probably an honest mistake.

If anyone is in the area, would you mind doing a quick park-and-grab to remove the rum? That'd be great!

:):D

NE 7386mi from your home coordinates

ummm yeah..that won't be me...:)

--MGb

Edit: P.S. I didn't know ammo cans were Lava Proof...Cool

Edited by mgbmusic

After checking out the cache page, I was really hoping to see an indignant post here, screaming about how horrible it is to expose children to liqour in a cache! I guess by now there have been too many references to Ethiopia, volcanoes, rappelling, desert nomads etc to expect anyone to get off on a rant about the evils of DEMON RUM. Too bad, I'll just have to sit back and wait for the next controversial topic to stir up those emotions. :)

The fact remains that the desert dwelling children may happen across this cache while tossing a young virgin into the lava pit. The child might bring the rum back to their village and unknowingly subject the entire tribe to a life of alcoholism, wearing t-shirts with cigarette's rolled up in the sleeves, and the worst of all - Mullets. People need to think about the consequences of their actions. :)

Well at least it's aged now. Also...hey Dino!! I haven't seen you in a coons age.

El Diablo

I don't reckon you've seen me ever, ElD! :rolleyes: You're right, I'm more of a lurker lately.

What's really surprising as there are probably caches as old as this in the US that have less finds on them.

I saw you in a picture...I still have it!

El Diablo

True - I wasnt thinking about the mullets...

Those nomad children may, while out for target practice with their AK-47s, happen upon this cache and consume the rum...

Shortly after this, the mullets, t-shirts, and cigarettes will start... then, all of Ethiopia might some day be overrun with trailers and chevy trucks on cinder blocks!

Archive this cache immediately! :-)

:rolleyes: December 19 by Joe Dirt (1 Found)

Totally awesome cache!! My first find!!

Found a really cool volcano rock near by!! Had some lunch and added the rum to my coke!!

I am totally hooked! This game is awesome.....inspired me to change my hairstyle (see pic)

T- rum

L- Budweiser gear shifter knob

SL TFTC!!!!

JoeDirt.jpg

:o December 19 by Joe Dirt (1 Found)

Totally awesome cache!! My first find!!

Found a really cool volcano rock near by!! Had some lunch and added the rum to my coke!!

I am totally hooked! This game is awesome.....inspired me to change my hairstyle (see pic)

T- rum

L- Budweiser gear shifter knob

SL TFTC!!!!

JoeDirt.jpg

That's so "bad" that it's good. ;-)

:P:)

Thank you for the heads-up about this serious problem. I will try to get out to the cache within the next week or two and remove the bottle of rum. I do not drink hard liquor (it is generally lower in antioxidant content than beer or wine, and the taste is a bit strong as well), and so I will, once I have removed the bottle, bring it back here to give to one of the local geocachers.

if I find rum in a cache, I will confiscate it...

course it might take me longer to find my way out of the woods than it did to find the cache...

BTW - many liquor bottles are made of plastic these days - so that element of potential risk may not be called into play.

Can anyone actually think a (clueless) child is likely to stumble on this cache alone?

Edited by OHMIKY

I've met very few twenty year olds who were not clueless. Either way, it would be a mistake to alter the guidelines for one cache.

well as far as that goes, I have met very few people of any age who are not clueless, but I do not conform my life to meet their shortcomings

That's fine, as long as you conform your caches to meet the guidelines.

... Can anyone actually think a (clueless) child is likely to stumble on this cache alone?

It doesn't matter.

Would it be better if a clueless twenty year old found it? Either way you would be contributing to the delinquency of a minor and subject to criminal penalty.

It's legal for a 20 year old to drink in Ethiopia--actually, there is no age limit to drink alcohol in Ethiopia, but you must be 18 to purchase it there.

... Can anyone actually think a (clueless) child is likely to stumble on this cache alone?

It doesn't matter.

Would it be better if a clueless twenty year old found it? Either way you would be contributing to the delinquency of a minor and subject to criminal penalty.

It's legal for a 20 year old to drink in Ethiopia--actually, there is no age limit to drink alcohol in Ethiopia, but you must be 18 to purchase it there.

I HIGHLY doubt a clueless child would stuble upon the cache. And if the child was geocaching, it would most likely be with a parent that would know to say no to taking the alcohol. Since were "establishing cache liquor control" ill take care of Northeastern PA

RUM IN A CACHE? WHERE??

I'd rather find Rum than Gin.

I found cigarettes and a condom in a cache, I'd rathr find Rum.

How about a gift coupon to HOOTERS for a picther of beer? Would that be okay?

<_<

After to much Rummmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Edited by Runfrog

I've met very few twenty year olds who were not clueless. Either way, it would be a mistake to alter the guidelines for one cache.

well as far as that goes, I have met very few people of any age who are not clueless, but I do not conform my life to meet their shortcomings

That's fine, as long as you conform your caches to meet the guidelines.

only the ones listed here

on the private ones, I feel free to do whatever