Google Earth update?

kbootb

Google Earth seems to have been updated. It now shows my newly re-modelled back garden, the local swimming pool is now built, and the local park is layed out with football pitches where previously it was in its summer plumage.

Is it just coincidence that the caches 'overlay' seems to fail more often, or is it another sign of the creaking gc.com server?

My house on The Shires, St Helens is still pictured as a building site - I've been living here 6 years now, so its well out of date.

For some reason in the new version of Google Earth I installed recently, all caches are shown as 'drawing pin icons' rather than the previous different icons for different cache types. Any ideas...?

For some reason in the new version of Google Earth I installed recently, all caches are shown as 'drawing pin icons' rather than the previous different icons for different cache types. Any ideas...?

Go and download the very latest version (either 3 or recommended 4 Beta) (here), previous versions of Google Earth 4 (beta) are sub-septable to a bug in the information created by Groundspeak, luckily the latest version now copes with the bug (mostly).

Thanks, I just downloaded Version 4 Beta and it now half works.

First view is OK, but if I pan around, they change back to drawing pins. If I right click on the Groundspeak Plug-In and 'Refresh' it obviously talks back with the server and changes them back to icons by cache type. Thanks for the help.

Every time you pan onto a different section of map, the drawing pins come back. Then they change into the GC icons as before as the cache info is retrieved.

But if you look in the window pane on the left, it tells you how many "views" you have left in the day. Every time you pan to new caches, this "view" total gets smaller.

What happens when you get down to zero? No more cache info? It wouldn't take long to get down to zero I think - just a few minutes viewing had my "view" total go down by 10. Pay per view in the future?

Looking at the Ascot area of Berkshire, it looks like the photo dates from between September and December 2004, since the track on the racecourse has been stripped but demolition of the old grandstand has not yet started. Also seems to have been taken on a Sunday morning, judging from the large numbers of cars outside churches!

Is anyone aware of the date of the pictures we had before?

Yes - why is that? Do all the google spotter planes run out of fuel on the way to Devon and just take long range piccies? The resolution down here's awful (or is that just the effect the cider's having on my eyes?)

It's better in the MS live maps thing.....perhaps their planes have got bigger petrol tanks?

LOL

Edited by keehotee

We have not been updated in Binfield, Bracknell, in Berkshire. It still shows our front garden before we put in a new drive 3 years ago! B)

Front garden? I can just about make out a fuzzy outline of the 20 acre field up the road.

It's no better here in Kent. I can't even make out my road, let alone my house.

Lisa