Lithium Batteries

Sled Head

I have a Garmin 60csx. I bought some Energiser e2 lithium betteries because they are supposed to last longer but after I installed them when I turn the unit on the LCD slowly fades out and completley goes blank within a few seconds. I tried them in my Vista c and it works fine.

Is it the proximity to the sd card?

Anyone else using lithium betteries?

I have a Garmin 60csx. I bought some Energiser e2 lithium betteries because they are supposed to last longer but after I installed them when I turn the unit on the LCD slowly fades out and completley goes blank within a few seconds. I tried them in my Vista c and it works fine.

Is it the proximity to the sd card?

Anyone else using lithium betteries?

Is the battery type on the 60CSx set to Lithium Ion?

The MAP60 CSx is more sensitive to high battery output, and is well known to shut itself down when new lithiums are installed. You need to use your lithiums for a few minutes in something like a torch (flashlight), then your GPSr should be happy to receive them without panicking.

When the batteries did not work in the gps I put them in my camera and I have taken a half dozen or so pics with it. So I tried them back in the gps and it works great now!

Thanks for your help jonners!

There in no option for Li-Ion. Only Alkaline and Ni-Mh

I have a Li-Ion setting in my 60csx. Perhaps this was added in a firmware update? I have not used Li-Ion batteries in mine, so I can't tell you if you still need to drain the batteries a little.

LiIon.gif

The MAP60 CSx is more sensitive to high battery output, and is well known to shut itself down when new lithiums are installed. You need to use your lithiums for a few minutes in something like a torch (flashlight), then your GPSr should be happy to receive them without panicking.

Odd, It looks like the GPS doesn't regulate the voltage of the batteries.

There in no option for Li-Ion. Only Alkaline and Ni-Mh

I have a Li-Ion setting in my 60csx. Perhaps this was added in a firmware update? I have not used Li-Ion batteries in mine, so I can't tell you if you still need to drain the batteries a little.

LiIon.gif

I went to Garmin.com after reading your post and downloaded the Web Updater and quickly updated my unit. It now has the Lithium Ion option. The download was fast and easy. I will see if I still need to drain the Li-Ion batts when I get some new ones.

As far as I'm aware (I may be wrong) the battery type setting does not change how the GPSr handles the power from the batteries. It merely changes the algorithm used to display remaining battery power. Hence I would predict that even with the lithium option chosen in the settings, it will still shut down if brand new lithiums are installed. Please let us know when you try it.

It looks like you are correct jonners. I tried fresh batteries and the unit shut down, switched back to the "conditioned" oned and it is fine.

Odd thing though, now that I updated the software and now have the Li-Ion option it will not even power up with the lithiums unless lithium is selected. I had to put the near dead alkaline back in, select lithium and then switch the batts to get it to power up.

Looks like Garmin has gone downhill with its newer products. My old Legend works just fine powered by 5VDC. I power it from a USB port with a split cable I built that powers it and my PDA at the same time, as well as connecting the two for data. I can drive for 24 hours if I want, and not worry about batteries. For shorter trips I use bluetooth, with an adapter connected to the Legend.