top 10 dangerous caches

sacred6

Erta Ale Volcano

"Not made for the comfort-seeking tourist, you need to get into the world's hottest desert, travel among armed Afar nomad people who are at gunpoint with the ethiopian army and master volcanic territory....the Erta Ale range remains one of the most inaccessible places on earth. There are no roads and temperatures are extremely high. The tribe living there, the Afar people, are proud and strong warriors, often hostile to foreigners....The volcano is situated at the bottom of the Danakil Depression, generally considered to be one of the most inhospitable regions on earth, a valley floor 130 m below sea level. The climatic conditions are terrible, with record temperatures 56°C in the shade, but with no shade to be found there....To lean over the crater without protection is out of the question. Just to have a quick look, one must position gloved hands in front of the face. Aluminium, fire-proof clothing Nomex is a must. To protect the eyes, a sheet of polished gold must be used; it is only few microns thick and so see-through.

With this armour one can at last approach the edge and take some time to admire the view."

• Surprised 1

sacred6-

You have a half a dozen other threads about dangerous caches, you looking for a little adventure?

If that be the case, i'd suggest doing a cache that has such a long hike, an over night stay is required. Fitting everything you need on your back, and still making the hike, now that seems like an adventure to me. I hope to do one of those this up coming fall season. I'd imagine being miles from anybody, alone in the woods, in harsh terrain, has a fair amount of danger involved.

If there are no caches like that in your area, up the challenge for yourself, and hide one :rolleyes:

Anyway, danger or no danger, make sure you take the proper steps to keep yourself safe.

I know of a few.

1. Any cache placed on private property such as a mall parking lot without permission-Danger-tresspassing fines and arrest

2. Any cache placed in riff raff or piles of loss rocks placed for errosion control -Danger- you can twist an ankle causing great pain and large medical bills.

3. Caches thrown out on a dead end street that is used for illegal dumping. -Danger-risk of tetnus or lacerations caused by broken glass, risk of disease cause by used drug needles etc

sacred6-

You have a half a dozen other threads about dangerous caches, you looking for a little adventure?

If that be the case, i'd suggest doing a cache that has such a long hike, an over night stay is required. Fitting everything you need on your back, and still making the hike, now that seems like an adventure to me. I hope to do one of those this up coming fall season. I'd imagine being miles from anybody, alone in the woods, in harsh terrain, has a fair amount of danger involved.

If there are no caches like that in your area, up the challenge for yourself, and hide one :rolleyes:

Anyway, danger or no danger, make sure you take the proper steps to keep yourself safe.

Oh, I have done caches were I have done that. It was not required, but I did.

sacred6-

Oh, I have done caches were I have done that. It was not required, but I did.

Oh, and Yes I have a lot, But I bet hardly anyone will reply unless I keep given them a heads up. :cool:

If that cache doesn't require an over night, then it couldn't have been that bad.

The only thing left is to go and buy special equipment. Something like climbing gear or scuba gear.

I guess you could take a night cache, and instead of doing it with the super flood light, try doing it with a pen light. I'm sure that will increase the difficulty / danger.

I would like to have peoples opinion about what they think are the top 10 most dangerous caches in the world! Thanks. :unsure:

Well, a number of caches bearing Terrain ratings of 4 or above would likely be considered "dangerous" by many people, since many of those caches would require use of scuba equipment or rock climbing or caving skills, or other specialized gear such as Tyvek protective bunny suits, respirators and portable radiation monitors. However, as a trained caver, scuba diver and, rock climber, I must point out that the reality is that if you are well-trained and are using the appropriate equipment when tackling a cache such as a Terrain 5 cache, you are likely a hundred times safer than the average citizen who is driving their car to the local convenience mart.

If you would like to see some rather sick Terrain 5 caches (many of them are 5/5 caches) which some observers would feel are "dangerous", you may wish to check out most of the caches in our Psycho Urban Cache and Psycho Backcountry Cache series, but particularly the following:

Enjoy!

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

I would like to have peoples opinion about what they think are the top 10 most dangerous caches in the world! Thanks. :(

Well, a number of caches bearing Terrain ratings of 4 or above would likely be considered "dangerous" by many people, since many of those caches would require use of scuba equipment or rock climbing or caving skills, or other specialized gear such as Tyvek protective bunny suits, respirators and portable radiation monitors. However, as a trained caver, scuba diver and, rock climber, I must point out that the reality is that if you are well-trained and are using the appropriate equipment when tackling a cache such as a Terrain 5 cache, you are likely a hundred times safer than the average citizen who is driving their car to the local convenience mart.

If you would like to see some rather sick Terrain 5 caches (many of them are 5/5 caches) which some observers would feel are "dangerous", you may wish to check out most of the caches in our Psycho Urban Cache and Psycho Backcountry Cache series, but particularly the following:

Enjoy!

Of those, which one do you consider your most dangerous one? I have seen these caches before and in fact they prompted me to post this topic. and are some of these in places right out in the city just nobody knows that its a good place for a dangerous cache. I would like some pointers Please. :unsure::(

I dunno, but I'm gonna guess Vinny&Sue own a couple of them. :rolleyes:

Been there, done 'em, got the t-shirt! :wub:

P.S. If anybody is going to be coming to the Frederick, MD area and would like to meet up for some help drop me a line.

Cache On!

Larry

Larry is not joking. He is a founding charter member of Team Psycho, and he and the Team Psycho core members have been FTF on ALL of our Psycho Urban Caches, even the infamous PUC #13, where they put in three 8 hour days of super-human effort before finally succeeding! And, he and his family (as well as the rest of Team Psycho) have indeed earned their Psycho Urban Cache t-shirts!

And, by the way, Larry is also not joking in his offer to assist future seekers of any of the PUCs! He seems particularly eager to help people seek PUC #13! Having personally watched at least four lengthy and painful DNFs (none were the Team Psycho DNFs, but rather those of out-of-state teams) on that cache myself, I have come to realize just how daunting this one is!

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

I dunno, but I'm gonna guess Vinny&Sue own a couple of them. :ph34r:

Been there, done 'em, got the t-shirt! B)

P.S. If anybody is going to be coming to the Frederick, MD area and would like to meet up for some help drop me a line.

Cache On!

Larry

Larry is not joking. He is a founding charter member of Team Psycho, and he and the Team Psycho core members have been FTF on ALL of our Psycho Urban Caches, even the infamous PUC #13, where they put in three 8 hour days of super-human effort before finally succeeding! And, he and his family (as well as the rest of Team Psycho) have indeed earned their Psycho Urban Cache t-shirts!

And, by the way, Larry is also not joking in his offer to assist future seekers of any of the PUCs! He seems particularly eager to help people seek PUC #13! Having personally watched at least four lengthy and painful DNFs (none were the Team Psycho DNFs, but rather those of out-of-state teams) on that cache myself, I have come to realize just how daunting this one is!

Can you give me tips on how to find a good place for a dangerous cache out in a urban area?

I know of a few.

1. Any cache placed on private property such as a mall parking lot without permission-Danger-tresspassing fines and arrest

2. Any cache placed in riff raff or piles of loss rocks placed for errosion control -Danger- you can twist an ankle causing great pain and large medical bills.

3. Caches thrown out on a dead end street that is used for illegal dumping. -Danger-risk of tetnus or lacerations caused by broken glass, risk of disease cause by used drug needles etc

Really those just sound like caches in the worst place.Not a dangerous cache...

Are you asking about caches that are active? If so I would say caches in a combat zone. I did a few in Iraq with the threat of mortar rounds falling at any moment or being shot by a sniper. Can't get anymore dangerous than that.

True, i have looked at those caches. Thanks for protecting are country. My thought and prayers are with you and your fellow comrades. :D:D:D:D

Back it 2004, I ran upon a cache in Kirkland, Washington. The cache happened to be mine. I hadn't "taken care of it" lately. It was still in pretty good condition, but the trail was trecherous. It had been washed away it recent rain, and poison oak decided to make its home there. I dare you to go and find it. oh and one more thing, I'm not going to tell you which one it is. Find it for yourself and place something of $2 or less. If you read the club correctly, and find the directions to cache #2 (not on geocaching website), you will receve a $200 Lowes gift card. Warning, trail is treacherous and problem is extremly hard. You must know Kirkland very well to solve it. Good day, and good luck. :)

When that black widow almost bit me, gotta be in the 10 ten :D

Almost does not count and black widows are not as dangerous are most people think they are.

I know, it might make you hand swell and give you a slight fever but rarely life threatning, it just scared the hell at me at first and it just kept going back to the altoids can, it wouldn't leave it along at first.

When that black widow almost bit me, gotta be in the 10 ten :(

Almost does not count and black widows are not as dangerous are most people think they are.

I know, it might make you hand swell and give you a slight fever but rarely life threatning, it just scared the hell at me at first and it just kept going back to the altoids can, it wouldn't leave it along at first.

Just in case you wanted to hear the opinion of someone who has been bitten by a black widow: It doesn't really make your hand swell, but the venom will deplete the calcium in your blood and muscles, and will make you feel like you are having the worst all over muscle cramps in the world. nothing but morphine will stop them. If they give you calcium drips for several hours your heart won't stop and you can leave the hosptial in a day or so.

Take black widows seriously

rovergator

On 2/22/2007 at 1:11 PM, rovergator said:

Just in case you wanted to hear the opinion of someone who has been bitten by a black widow: It doesn't really make your hand swell, but the venom will deplete the calcium in your blood and muscles, and will make you feel like you are having the worst all over muscle cramps in the world. nothing but morphine will stop them. If they give you calcium drips for several hours your heart won't stop and you can leave the hosptial in a day or so.

Take black widows seriously

rovergator

Nahh black widow didnt bite me

On 1/4/2007 at 5:46 PM, iwikepie said:

Another ssiick cache is called deathwish where it is the side of a freeway bridge and if you make one wrong move.... :ph34r:B)B) .

If your'e looking for a 5 cache go to Vinny and Sue teams bookmark list Extreme cahes or something like that.It has are sorts of extreme caches.

I know this thread is old, but this post caught my attention since I'm not even allowed to post FAKE coordinates on a freeway bridge, nevermind a physical cache.

@Cool22008

Wow, you´ve just revieved an ageas old thread.

I´m not about to go through your list, since links or GC-codes are missing. But the first one "The Leap".... dude, if this is #1 I´m not keen to see how average the others are ;)

The Leap might be a bit sketchy, but I have done way more dangerous stuff caching. Don´t forget, there are tons of climbing, diving, caving, mountaineering cahes out there requiring much more commitment, specialized skills and tools.

A sketchy jump alone doesn´t make a cache dangerous. And for sure not the most dangerous.

Edited by DerDiedler

Ahhh, sheeeesh, I couldn´t resist to take another glance on some of the caches on your list.

Im buffled. I mean wow, how sick is #6 of your most dangerous caches? GC4Z1T2

Quote from one of the find logs: If you don't mind getting wet, its very doable.

Now thats really freaking dangerous (if you consist of suggar) :ph34r:

Sorry for beeing sarcastic, but your list must be a joke.

4 hours ago, DerDiedler said:

Ahhh, sheeeesh, I couldn´t resist to take another glance on some of the caches on your list.

Im buffled. I mean wow, how sick is #6 of your most dangerous caches? GC4Z1T2

Quote from one of the find logs: If you don't mind getting wet, its very doable.

Now thats really freaking dangerous (if you consist of suggar) :ph34r:

Sorry for beeing sarcastic, but your list must be a joke.

At first, I thought you were serious Clark. Looked at the page and was trying to figure out why in the world it seemed intimidating to you.

But then I saw your fine print.. :D 

That would be a fun cache to go after. Sick, it isn't! :P The Leap does look like fun for sure. Doesn't look dangerous at the leaping point but I'm sure just getting to it is a real challenge. I'd be chomping at the bit to check into it if it wasn't so far away. Maybe one of these days...