Magellan Support?!?!

GPS_David

Does anyone know who I can contact at Magellan?

Here's the story and I'd love to report back here that it has a happy ending but...

In October one of my Magellan units had a pin break off. I filled out the online support request form including all the information such as my contact info, serial number...etc.

Two weeks go by and I finally get a response telling me to respond with my info and serial number so they can give me an RMA. I respond back right away and.... and.... nothing.

I send another email with my info and .... nothing.

I entered a new support request online and have not heard anything.

If anyone knows someone on the inside, I would appreciate it, I just want to get the thing fixed.

GPS_David

Call 800-707-9971. You can reach technical support for Magellan® consumer products toll-free within the U.S., Monday through Friday, 6:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. P.S.T/P.D.T. They have outsourced their level one support, but you will quickly be serviced. They will give you an RMA number.

It's funny you mentioned that you had a pin break off. I just got a replacement unit because the diddly stick broke off. I have an eXplorist 600. I love it, but IMHO, the keypad is just too delicate for hard use in the field.

Thank you very much for this information. Last week it took four calls to Magellans 'level one' support to get the answer and RMA I needed.

Call 800-707-9971. You can reach technical support for Magellan® consumer products toll-free within the U.S., Monday through Friday, 6:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. P.S.T/P.D.T. They have outsourced their level one support, but you will quickly be serviced. They will give you an RMA number.

It's funny you mentioned that you had a pin break off. I just got a replacement unit because the diddly stick broke off. I have an eXplorist 600. I love it, but IMHO, the keypad is just too delicate for hard use in the field.

I'll add to what Trail Buzzards had to say.

Do not e-mail Magellan. It is a waste of your time. They won't get back to you for two weeks, and their response most likely won't help.

Your first line of support is here in the forums if it is a problem regarding software, connecting to the PC, or using the handheld. You are more likely to get a fast and helpful response from one of us than you are from Magellan.

Now if it is a physical problem with the handheld, call Magellan at the number mentioned earlier in this topic. For the most prompt service, call them right when they open. When I have called them at 8AM Central, I have never had to wait more than 15mins. If you wait until later in the day, it will test your stamina.

Edited by geognerd

Thanks everyone, I actually called support tonight and got someone right away.

However, the guy wants me to provide a proof of purchase... I purchased it 10 months ago and I'll be pretty hard pressed to find the receipt. It's kind of a pain in the butt. I asked the guy if I could not find it, am I out of luck for Warranty repair... apparently yes.

Argh!

GPS_David

Whenever I bought something at Best Buy I thought it was just annoying to be asked for my telephone number. Turns out there is a reason. I lost a receipt on a Best Buy purchase. I called customer support to ask what my options were. The rep asked for my phone number. He told me what I purchased, the date and time, the cash register number and the employee number. I could get a duplicate receipt just by walking into the the store. I bought a Magellan GPS device in a pawn shop. God knows who had owned it. I called Magellan support with a problem. It took fours calls but I finally got an RMA and an offer of a free repair, just pay the send in postage. 'Richard' told me that even a Magellan purchased second hand has a 90 day warranty. Not too shabby. So, moral of the story, call the store where you bought the gadget. They may have a record. It's worth the effort for a potentially free repair.

Thanks everyone, I actually called support tonight and got someone right away.

However, the guy wants me to provide a proof of purchase... I purchased it 10 months ago and I'll be pretty hard pressed to find the receipt. It's kind of a pain in the butt. I asked the guy if I could not find it, am I out of luck for Warranty repair... apparently yes.

Argh!

GPS_David

Well, that's where it gets interesting. When I purchased the unit, I had just moved half way across the country. The Reciept could be anywhere! I checked every place I could think of including the box the GPS came in. I checked my banking statements online and tracked down a date and the place of purchase.

Now... Did I put it under my NY Cell phone #, my wife's? My Indy Cell, my wife's? Did I use my land line, VoIP? We are heading to Circuit City to see if they can print up a receipt.

This has been such a pain in the ...gps. The funny thing, it's something I could have fixed but didn't want to take apart the unit and void the warranty.

Thanks everyone for your moral support! :-)

Whenever I bought something at Best Buy I thought it was just annoying to be asked for my telephone number. Turns out there is a reason. I lost a receipt on a Best Buy purchase. I called customer support to ask what my options were. The rep asked for my phone number. He told me what I purchased, the date and time, the cash register number and the employee number. I could get a duplicate receipt just by walking into the the store. I bought a Magellan GPS device in a pawn shop. God knows who had owned it. I called Magellan support with a problem. It took fours calls but I finally got an RMA and an offer of a free repair, just pay the send in postage. 'Richard' told mehe that even a Magellan purchased second hand has a 90 day warranty. Not too shabby. So, moral of the story, call the store where you bought the gadget. They may have a record. It's worth the effort for a potentially free repair.