Is It My Imigination or

centme37

I marvel at the patience of the people on this forum. They are for the most part helpful and courteous. I admit some frustration with people who cry for help when you know they haven't bothered to read the directions.

I tend to research a product or service long before I buy it. In fact I download and study the manuals before I buy sometimes.

People have taken the time to compile FAQ's and you know that they aren't accessed nearly as often as they should be. Well that's my rant for the day. I hope it wasn't too offensive.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

I marvel at the patience of the people on this forum. They are for the most part helpful and courteous. I admit some frustration with people who cry for help when you know they haven't bothered to read the directions.

I tend to research a product or service long before I buy it. In fact I download and study the manuals before I buy sometimes.

People have taken the time to compile FAQ's and you know that they aren't accessed nearly as often as they should be. Well that's my rant for the day. I hope it wasn't too offensive.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

A much worthy rant! Amen, brother!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Edited by Neo_Geo

what are directions?? :D what is a FAQ? :D What does RTFM mean?!?! :)

I and my wife both routinely deal with the issue outside of these forums (my wife doesn't visit the forums here, so she is spared :D ) in our jobs as computer support techs. (actually I'm a network admin, but also do the duties of PC support) so I'm well versed in the process of holding my tongue while explaining something yet again (at work it is often to the same people over and over)

I commend you on your ability to research and read :D those seem to be abilities that are greatly lacking in the general population these days. And geocaching being something most anyone can do, brings in all portions of the spectrum.

and speaking of those individuals... I had heard a new error message for them some time ago...

PICNIC = Problem In Chair Not In Computer

goes along with the I D ten (put the number there) T error and PEBCAK (Problem Exists Between Chair And Keyboard)

But without those people, many of us wouldn't have the jobs we have. Of course without those people maybe the US would be a major player in the non-service industries again as well. Would you like fries with that? :D

A counter argument would be that if a product was designed properly a manual should not be required - its use should be intuitive

No matter how intuitive something is, there's always people who manage to not understand it.

Take the Wii for example. Arguably the most intuitive controller for a video game system ever designed. Yet you can read online (or if you're lucky, see at the in-store display) people who simply fail so hard at figuring it out.

Or any MP3 player. As brutally intuitive as some of them are... you'll always have the people who can't use it, AND never read the manual :)

No matter how intuitive something is, there's always people who manage to not understand it.

I remember when Windows '95 came out. Some people upgraded from 3.1, and then complained that they couldn't open any of their programs. It all boiled down to the fact that they were NOT clicking on the "START" button at the bottom of their screen... :)

A counter argument would be that if a product was designed properly a manual should not be required - its use should be intuitive

Which is why, in the world we live in, even a simple weighing scale needs directions. :D

AND WARNING LABELS!!!

"WARNING - Do not step on this scale if you weigh more than 300 pounds."

So how do I know if i weigh 300 pounds or not? :D

Edited by Neo_Geo

You think it's bad now, wait until Christmas day when all those new GPSr are opened up :)

Merry Christmas

Jim W, You hit the nail on the head; I got a big chuckle when I read your comment. You are so right, for the next few weeks after Christmas this forum will basically be a "How do I operate my new GPSr." But that's Ok too, I'll be glad to help whoever I can and hopefully others will too. After all, a little Christmas Spirit can go a long way.

That's way some people, (Managers) get paid the big bucks. To manage and direct the people who don't read and follow the directions, intuitively. Most everyone can read, but not all readers can interpret and understand a legally binding contract that they are willing to sign. Any volunteers to be the Manager/CEO of Morgan Stanley?

I and my wife both routinely deal with the issue outside of these forums (my wife doesn't visit the forums here, so she is spared ;) ) in our jobs as computer support techs. (actually I'm a network admin, but also do the duties of PC support) so I'm well versed in the process of holding my tongue while explaining something yet again (at work it is often to the same people over and over)

On an average day [supposedly] doing telephone support on a specific application, I end up teaching windoze users these kind of skills (in order of increasing difficulty)

"locating the monitor"

"locating the mouse"

"locating the the Windows Start button"

"click vs. doubleclick"

"leftclick vs. rightclick"

On a really productive, high-end day we may work a bit further up the food chain to:

"finding the desktop, and the icons located there"

"looking at the taskbar"

"cut/paste"

"window minimization"

"running more than one program at a time"

"finding the file you just saved on your drive somewhere"

When I am very lucky I get to do the software support I am paid to do. Those brief, shining moments get me through the day.

A couple of weeks ago a caller got really aggressive with me because her software didn't work. It turns out that this is because her PC wasn't running.

Because there was no power to the room she was in.

Or her building.

Or her town, county, or state (this is when much of Washington went dark during the wind storms).

Kill me now.

Edited by fratermus

Hee hee. I just got my 1st GPS for Christmas and I did read the manual at least 1 1/2 times. And, like Renegade Knight mentioned, it didn't tell me how to do what I wanted.

But I wouldn't dare ask a question! :laughing: Over 2000 topics on my model of GPS come up in a simple search. If those can't help (or some good ol' fashioned trial & error), another post won't help either.