Night caching

Techcaching

I am still wet behind the ears when it comes to geocaching. I only have 8 at the moment but I have found that I enjoy caching at night and I enjoy the harder caches with longer walks(wich i jog or run if possible). It really ups the game by doing it at night (plus it gave me a excuse to buy a really cool headlamp I wanted). What about everyone elese? Do you prefer day or night caching?

Edited by Techcaching
I am still wet behind the ears when it comes to geocaching. I only have 8 at the moment but I have found that I enjoy caching at night and I enjoy the harder caches with longer walks(wich i jog or run if possible). It really ups the game by doing it at night (plus it gave me a excuse to buy a really coold headlamp I wanted). What about everyone elese? Do you prefer day or night caching?

I don't see very well at night, even with a flashlight, so I don't do it very often. I did attend a very cool event recently where we all went night caching afterwards. Thankfully there were enough people to make sure I didn't trip too much over roots in the woods!

I've heard of LOTS of people that cache primarily at night though. I'm sure several of them will chime in with some tips soon!

I started night-caching recently out of neccesity, just because its pretty much fully dark by the time I get off work during the week. Now I do it because its so much fun. I stick to the daytime for most of our urban caches around here, but for our "country caches" night time is the only way to go. We're pretty limited on hiding places out here in the desert, so its usually an ammo can under some rocks or in a small desert bush, so pretty easy to spot. You can easily add one star to the difficulty rating, not to mention the views are awesome at night looking down into the valley. I installed a light bar with 4 off-road lights onto my Tacoma that do an awesome job of lighting up the area, so with that and a good flashlight I can find pretty much anything.

I think it is easier at times to cache at night. For one thing my kids are in bed, the other thing is that my head lamp has a nack for showing colors that don't blend with the natural environment.

I have hidden a couple of caches that can only be found at night. I wish that they had their own icon, but oh well. I like those because they are different, and there are not many out there. Finding a true Night Cache is an adventure.

Nuwati

I think it is easier at times to cache at night. For one thing my kids are in bed, the other thing is that my head lamp has a nack for showing colors that don't blend with the natural environment.

I have hidden a couple of caches that can only be found at night. I wish that they had their own icon, but oh well. I like those because they are different, and there are not many out there. Finding a true Night Cache is an adventure.

Nuwati

I guess I'm in that group to. I work 10-6 mon-sat so I am always coming home after dark (at lest this time of year).

It is a ton more fun. I just went out to lunch and logged two more in the town I work. Now I just have to explain why my work shoes tracked mudd into the first 100' of my building.

Depends on the company and the cache. People get a little loopy at night. Which is closer to their true selves and much more fun.

A cache can be easier at night or harder depending.

Some caches that feature a view...don't feature much except the rock pile it's in at night.

The same cache by day or by night is a completley different experience.

I enjoy night caches... better when we are prepared to be finding it at night. :)

We've done a couple at dusk and took us longer to get to it than expected so it turned into a night cache... without a good flashlight. I've done two of them using a little "red" LED keyring light while it was in its package (it was in our swag bag). I've done another using my cell phone and gps backlight to try and light my way for the 1/3 mile hike back through the woods.

I don't really have any issues (physical or mental) tromping through the woods at night, (as a boy scout I used to run through the woods at night, usually only by the star/moon light) but my wife is sometimes abit nervous about it. She is getting better about it though.

Many times I've cached my way between Seattle and No. California and I once made a three night/four day run from Seattle to Las Vegas. These trips all involved day and night caching. The find rate takes a serious hit at night. The DNF's flow like water after dark. But its a real blast, I think.

Almost all my solo caching trips involve night caching, often up to midnight. I love it!

My caching buddies & I are pretty well known for our 18-24 hour caching stints, which put us out well after dark & we love it!!!

As mentioned earlier, bush hunts are easier when lights show up colors of containers, often make camo not work. No muggles and a quiet peace is over the world . . . very pleasant.

Only drawback is that authorities are often alerted by flashlights darting about and some parks where caches are hidden are closed at sundown.

But this is overcome by planning your adventure, picking the night vs day hunts. As for authorities, being frank, open and forthcoming seems to help - they are just security-oriented and when you are not a threat, they leave you alone - in over three years, have only been asked to leave an area once.

All in all, night caching is a refreshing and fun diversion that I highly recommend!

i love nite caching in the RAIN. Put on a big ol poncho and still get soaking wet... tromping through muddy trails...

its the only way to do it.

one cache could take a couple of hours if you pick a good one.

Rain caching. awesome idea!!

how about caching at night with only the light provided by the sky and your gps (no light cache)

i love nite caching in the RAIN. Put on a big ol poncho and still get soaking wet... tromping through muddy trails...

its the only way to do it.

one cache could take a couple of hours if you pick a good one.

Rain caching. awesome idea!!

how about caching at night with only the light provided by the sky and your gps (no light cache)

Thats cool until you step on a rattlesnake, walk through some PO or PI, or poking your eye with those small branches.

i dont mind it usually less muggles around...however this one cache i went looking for at night as a jeep had just been dropped and they dont last long around here..anyway i go in and im walking down this trail and the bottom of this hill and its freakishly quiet...so im walkin along and my RINO120 decides to beep and ell me im nearing the cache....so of on the other side of the feild i hear a howling...dont think much of it and keep on looking then it starts up again and keeps going and all of a sudden they start howling all around this trail...... :o .....now being a hunter i can estimate the distance untill i relise that one is probably a few hundered feet down the trail around the corner.......bottom line i took off as the howling got louder and closer....i try to stay away from the bush caches when im alone at night

you know what i like? grave yard caches at 1 am spooky i live near the witch craft capital of the world to the town of Anoka not too big but i wouldnt go to a graveyard there at night its like all goth people sitting by a grave stone creeps me out.

Not to mention it is considered bad form by the caching community. Basically people think you are up to no good when you are in a graveyard at night.

On most of the cemetary caches in Indiana, they will delete your log if you mention visiting at night.