City Navigator Questions

After getting my hubby a new 60Cx for his birthday last month, I now need to get the mapping software for it, and thought it would a) make a good excuse for a Christmas present, and b ) be nice to have before we head for Alabama this coming Saturday.

But, after doing a little research, I realize that I'm completely lacking in my techno-geek skills. Whether that's a good thing or bad thing, I'm not sure, but now I'm in need of some advice.

It sounds like City Navigator is the way to go, and I understand that the NT version is more condensed than v8, but where I'm confused is whether it's a good idea to spend the extra $$ to get the SD card version instead. With the SD card, do I automatically have all of North America at my fingertips, without having to upload applicable sections onto the smaller memory card that came with the GPSr?

Also, when I do a price comparison, I see that there is an 'SD card' version available for approximately $160, and a 'micro SD card' version for about $30 more. What's the difference? I'm stumped about what I should get, and time is running out.

Edited by Zuckerruebensirup

It sounds like City Navigator is the way to go, and I understand that the NT version is more condensed than v8, but where I'm confused is whether it's a good idea to spend the extra $$ to get the SD card version instead. With the SD card, do I automatically have all of North America at my fingertips, without having to upload applicable sections onto the smaller memory card that came with the GPSr?

The 60CX won't take an SD card. A MicroSD card is much smaller than a regular SD card. You'll need to buy the City Navigator NT software that comes on a DVD then it can be loaded onto a MicroSD card.

The SD card version of CN is for Automobile units, not the 60Cx.

If there is a MicroSD card version of CN 8 NT, it could be used in the 60Cx, however I don't think you can update the maps on the card, you'd have to buy a whole new MicroSD card to upgrade to a later version of the software. It's a more expensive option than buying a writable MicroSD card and the DVD version of the software that you load yourself. I just tried to check Garmin's web site to see what's available but I'm having trouble getting the page to load, so I don't know for sure whether there is a MicroSD card version available.

Just for the record, a 1GB MicroSD card costs about $30, and the City Navigator NT v8.0 software can be found for about $115 on the net. So you'd have a total of $145 invested, and you'd be able to upgrade to newer maps down the road by buying newer software.

Edited by DocDiTTo

Thanks for the help guys. :)

By the way, here's where I saw the microSD version, which specifically mentioned the 60Cx model: www.tigergps.com. But it sounds like that's not the way to go.

As mentioned above it is more versatile to get the software from the source and have it on the computer for versatility. But the fully-loaded micro-SD card looks mighty convenient!