Geojunk

LoneHowler

everyone complains about the mc toys and cheep items found in caches, but what is the worst you have ever found?

I myself had to clean out one of my caches which was full of pizza and Chinese food fliers, not to mention religious pamphlets, I get that kind of junk delivered to me weekly in my mailbox, I don't want to find it in a box that I spent time hiding/finding.

so whats your worst geojunk?

Edited by LoneHowler

Some things that come to mind:

A pair of filthy work gloves with holes in the fingers.

A dirty diaper cover.

Candy wrappers with melted chocolate residue on them (OK, I know if you collect 20 and send them in you can win a new Jeep Cherokee, or whatever, but geez, at least clean the wrapper first).

Losing scratch off lottery tickets (already scratched off)

Edited by briansnat

I think leaves are the worst thing I've ever found in one of my caches. Of course, I have a 5 year old, so it's impossible to go caching without him picking up several sticks and rocks and leaves that mean oh-so-much to him.

Of course, if he tried to leave any of that in a cache, I would somehow sneak it out while his back was turned.

I know of at least one instance (not my cache) where someone did their...uhm....business in the cache. I would have to say that's the worst "trade item" ever. Unfortunately I can't remember what cache it was, only that it was one of CCCA's. She was not happy.

so whats your worst geojunk?

Several years expired coupons for restaurants nowhere near the cache (as in, the nearest one was about 800 miles away.) But it wasn't my cache, so I left 'em in there and logged online that the owner might want to "take out the trash."

Not disgusting, but definitely garbage.

From reading above, I've been pretty lucky. I think a pack of gum was probably my "worst". Only because I can't imaging chewing it after it's been sitting in a cache for who knows how long. Also since there shouldn't be any food like items left in caches.

I've also a log book that wasn't just damp, but actually moldy.

Unless something has slipped my mind, that's about as bad as it has gotten.

Tampon (unused thankfully)

Last week I pulled a parking pass for a year old event, a ticket for a two year old concert and a parking pass for a university 100 miles away and 5 semesters ago.

Had a friend that had to clean a turd out of one in April and it hasn't been found since. Only about 25 miles from a major metro area. Guess people don't want to risk finding it again.

1. Tons of used condoms in a remote area. -- The cache was on the ground near them.

2. In the city where homeless have makeshift homes and you find you are in thier living room when looking in a bush.

3. There are more, but the worst for me was where someone used it as a restroom a while back. There was no smell because the item hardened up in a shell. It was just about right on the cache and the right size and I reached around a transformer box to feel in the leaves and grabbed the hard tube shape -- thinking it was one of those cammo jobs with dirt glued all over it. It broke open in my hand like a mustard eclair and the smell let me know instantly what was happening!! I did a worse reaction than any "spider dance" we have all done and hopped around freaking out -- seeing a mud puddle and doing my best to wash it off!!! I couldn't even look at my hand for the rest of the day..... made that next sandwich so enjoyable... Now I carry disinfectants, baby wipes, jug of water, and papertowels everywhere.

(I just read this area again and appologize for getting the subject wrong! -- it's supposed to be IN the cache -- oops!)

Edited by j_czerwin

An empty box of matches. They even logged putting it there in the logbook... something about it being really old and possibly useful for collector or some such.

There's a cache in my area where you're SUPPOSED to trade interesting books of matches. It was one of the first caches I looked for, and I took two cool empty matchboxes - small ones from European hotels that my grandmother stayed in in the 50's - along to trade.

However, I ended up not leaving them because the cache container is cheapo disposable Gladware, and of course everything inside was sodden and/or moldy. :-P It was my first experience of the cheapo non-maintained cache container.... needless to say, it wasn't my last. :)

Wow. The cremated dog remains wins.

I did find a pair of women's underwear in a nearby cache ... apparently unused, fortunately.

I'm willing to bet that the feminine hygiene products were left in caches by women who have been in situations where they really needed one, didn't have one handy, and were miles away from the nearest source.

I'm willing to bet that the feminine hygiene products were left in caches by women who have been in situations where they really needed one, didn't have one handy, and were miles away from the nearest source.

I think that type of thing would have been left with good intentions - I've never found or left something like that but I must say it would likely be a welcome relief if I was "stranded".... ;)

I've been lucky - all the caches I've found have had decent stuff in them - no yucky surprises. One cache in FL was a bit mouldy and there was some really useless crap in it, but it was a TB hotel, so there was good stuff too - I and others left a note in the log for the cache owner to tend it and "CITO" it.

I can't believe people would defecate in a cache - what's the point of that? There are some sick puppies out there....

One of the best caches I've found was in a hole in a tree in the middle of an urban forest - ammo box full of CDs and even a few casette tapes to trade - all were in good shape, and the box was well sealed so the contents stayed clean and dry. I didn't have anything to trade, so I did not take anything, but it was an impressive cache.

Jenn

I found a TB hotel in FL that had a lot of junk in it. I signed the log and swapped travel bugs, I didn't rummage through the stuff but most of it was damp and mouldy and didn't look too appealing. In fact, prior logs had mentioned that the cache owner should CITO his cache - there was definitely some stuff that should have gone.

Jenn

Human excrement. Soft, mushy and smelly. Do I win? :)

Clearly hard to beat, but we recently found a pair of dirty surgical gloves (with holes in them) and half a marijuana joint :P:P:P

Hey, don't "bogart" that j. Seriously I hope ya disposed of it properly. Uh, IF one were to find another one or something of a similar nature how would they turn it in to the cops without getting busted themselves???

Digital_Cowboy

I was wondering who would most likely be placing the things like the armed mousetrap, used deodorant and lipgloss, and the joint? Do you think it was people who are cachers, or people who happen upon a cache, figure out what it is, but don't plunder it?

The fishing lure and the mousetrap are a little scary. Especially if anyone allows their children to be the first to open and rummage through a cache.

I was wondering who would most likely be placing the things like the armed mousetrap, used deodorant and lipgloss, and the joint? Do you think it was people who are cachers, or people who happen upon a cache, figure out what it is, but don't plunder it?

The fishing lure and the mousetrap are a little scary. Especially if anyone allows their children to be the first to open and rummage through a cache.

I routinely leave fishing lures - BUT, they are still in the plastic and cardboard buble pack. I've been on the business end of a treble hook too many times in my tackle box while looking at it to leave one unprotected in a cache!

Worst things I have found so far have been the unidentifiable mouldy paper remains that are left in the bottom of plastic buckets with snap on lids.

Skisidedown.

Human excrement. Soft, mushy and smelly. Do I win? <_<

Clearly hard to beat, but we recently found a pair of dirty surgical gloves (with holes in them) and half a marijuana joint :D:D:D

Hey, don't "bogart" that j. Seriously I hope ya disposed of it properly. Uh, IF one were to find another one or something of a similar nature how would they turn it in to the cops without getting busted themselves???

Digital_Cowboy

You don't. Guilty until proven innocent. Better to just grind it under foot in the dirt than to turn it in innocently and then having to hire a lawyer to explain your way out.

Digital_Cowboy

You don't. Guilty until proven innocent. Better to just grind it under foot in the dirt than to turn it in innocently and then having to hire a lawyer to explain your way out.

Sadly, that is pretty much what I had thought. Myself and everyone I was stationed with over in S. Korea had wished that a SSG who had found one in the transit's barracks had done that. Instead he turned it in and we all got "the plastic cup detail" for our troubles.

Digital_Cowboy