Caches in wilderness areas

samiller71

Rules on Wilderness areas within National Forests Vary from one Forest to the next. Some are totally closed, some have a permit system, some (one near me) are opened to cache placements. The reviewer for Tennessee would be aware of the rules for those placements.

That's my understanding. Rules vary in each wilderness area.

Wilderness is a land use designation. Use of wilderness for many purposes including recreation is allowed.

Use of wilderness for many purposes including recreation is allowed.

In fact recreation is stated in the Wilderness act of 1964 (which authorized creation of these areas) as one of the purposes of wilderness areas.

From Sec. 4-B:

..."Except as otherwise provided in this Act, wilderness areas shall be devoted to the public purposes of recreational, scenic, scientific, educational, conservation, and historical use.

As the other two posters mentioned, the rules on geocaches in WAs vary.

You might want to contact the owners of the caches first before you just go in and remove them. That might cause problems between yourself and the owners. They may have already checked into the situation and gotten permission to hide the caches. I would get all my information and facts first, then go from there on this. Contact the National Forestry Service in your state. I am sure they can help you out. Then contact the owners of the caches with your information and its up to them to remove them. Good luck and keep geocaching. :)