Brand new to this and having issues...

FishRockette

I'm really confused, I have the Magellan eXplorist 100, which I'm beginning to regret, but hey it was a present! And I don't think I quite get the coordinates idea yet. Either my GPS is way off or I'm missing something. I've read my manual twice through now, along with tons of spot readings and I just don't feel it's accurate, is there a way to test it?

Also am I supposed to find my way to the cache completely by the coords or can I use maps? Are maps cheating? And technically if maps are cool why do I even have the GPS? Couldn't I just use maps and a compass?

I've read all the beginner things and I just feel a tad lost, someone please help me! :D

Hey, I'm from Tallahassee as well and also use an Explorist 100 and it's actually fine for caching in the Tallahassee area.

Using the gps is pretty easy, set the goto with the coordinates to the cache and when you get to around 30 feet or so, start looking for obvious cache hiding spots.

I'll be glad to help you with any other questions and go find some more caches. Tallahassee has some really good ones.

ScottFla

Edited by ScottFla

Your GPS will get you to within approximately 30 feet of the cache after that using your eyes and thinking "where would I hide it" works well. You could use map and compass but it takes a lot of skill to achieve the same level of accuracy that your GPS provides. There are people who cache that way and they are regarded as hardcore.

Maps are not cheating, many people plot the cache location first to get some idea where it sits in the local terrain, before they set off. Some people go in blind but you are far more likely to find yourself 100 yards from the cache with only the small matter of a river/swamp/canyon/lake to be crossed.

As a digital instrument there's not much to adjust on a GPS receiver other than to make sure your datum is set to WGS84 and the display format to DD MM.MMM

I'm really confused, I have the Magellan eXplorist 100, which I'm beginning to regret, but hey it was a present! And I don't think I quite get the coordinates idea yet. Either my GPS is way off or I'm missing something. I've read my manual twice through now, along with tons of spot readings and I just don't feel it's accurate, is there a way to test it?

Also am I supposed to find my way to the cache completely by the coords or can I use maps? Are maps cheating? And technically if maps are cool why do I even have the GPS? Couldn't I just use maps and a compass?

I've read all the beginner things and I just feel a tad lost, someone please help me! <_<

I had an eXplorist 100 briefly. To be honest, I thought it was a poor piece of GPS technology. To answer your other questions, if you put the coordinates into your GPSr, they should take you directly to the cache unless it says otherwise on the cache page, but please be aware that even the most accurate GPSr only has an accuracy to within a few yards, so some searching is involved with the sport. Yes, you may use maps, but I believe they would be more difficult to use. With the map, you may be able to get the location of the cache, but it wont show you your location relative to the cache and what direction you should walk. A GPSr will. With a map, you just can't say "Hey, the cache is 60' slightly to my right." and then procede to walk right to it.

As others pointed out, using a map and compass in the middle of the forest is hard, but it is possible and there are people who do that.

I typically go one step further and only use the position of the stars overhead. I'd use the sun, but doing it in the daylight just makes it too darn easy. Maps and GPS units are for suckers.

Just to clarify one thing about your GPS and any other that you may use.

They are only accurate to about 10-20'. When you are closer to the cache than the error of the GPS the GPS can't point the way to the cache. The needle will point one direction then the other. That's your clue that it's time to look for the cache.

There are a couple of tricks you can use to find ground zero (distance reading on your GPS says "0") but if you are caching with anyone and you insist on finding ground zero odds are they will be the ones doing all the finding.

A lot of people think that this can't be fun because you can walk right up to the cache and there is it. Ha!

I have an Explorist 210 and am new also. The first thing that helped me was finding the "long" manual on the magellan website and printing/reading it, etc. Also I have heard and believe that with Magellan GPSrs, you need to "let it settle". It has to be vertical and totally still (do this when you are close to the cache 30' or so). I once was getting readings of 30-40', I found the cache, put GPS in pocket and signed log etc. When I pulled GPSr out of pocket it read 3'! Also, not sure if the 100 has this, but the accuracy page is very helpful, especially in trees. Also heard it is good to initialize the unit periodically. Happy hunting!

Edited by FourGremlins

Sure you can use maps. Most of us use maps to at least find our way to parking. There are people who do not use a GPS to find caches. A GPS just makes it a lot easier. Its one thing to use a map to find a cache on a city street corner, but quite another to find one deep in a forest using a map.

I used to do that, and I also have an explorist. Originally I didn't own a gps, my father did but it was broken. That caused me to find very few caches for a little while. It also convinced me to think that all the caches I didn't find were muggled. I was frustrated when I started working with my new gps :D . You must be too. It takes a few weeks to master a gps, but after a little while, I started to understand how the gps works and with that, how to use my gps :D . Just keep trying and you will get the hang of it. :(

Everyone has given you some good info to explain the accuracy of a gps receiver. I have a friend who has a similiar unit to yours and i think the biggest drawback is that it doesn't contain any mapping software at all.Unless you know the streets of the area you are caching you just about HAVE to have a map to go by. But to actually find the cache you may not even need the gps,depending on the distance of the cache from landmarks or intersections. I have found a couple using nothing but a hand drawn map that i copied off of a Topo map and transferred the coords that i imposed onto the map. Using that and a compass to help keep my bearings. Made me feel good that i could do it.

Yes, the first 'geocache' (stash) was hidden because of the turning off of the Selective Availablity on the GPS system, which made everyones personal GPSr accurated enough to find a bucket in the woods.

Not everyone uses a GPS to hunt and find geocaches. It is NOT a requirement, you can find them any way you want to. Even just wandering around in the woods without a map or compass if you really want it to be difficult. :o

Reply: The way I was introduced to Geocaching was by means of a

GPS. From what I gather, the sport of Geocaching is derived

from the useful tool known as the GPS. However, I'm new to this

sport and would be interested to know if I'm wrong or not.

You are not wrong.

The GPS is a tool that makes geocaching easier. Especially when it comes to listing a cache with accurate coordinates so others can find it. As a tool the GPS the GPS has it's uses and limitations. It's not the only tool that can do the job, merely one of the easiest.

Sure you can use maps. Most of us use maps to at least find our way to parking. There are people who do not use a GPS to find caches. A GPS just makes it a lot easier. Its one thing to use a map to find a cache on a city street corner, but quite another to find one deep in a forest using a map.

I used to do that, and I also have an explorist. Originally I didn't own a gps, my father did but it was broken. That caused me to find very few caches for a little while. It also convinced me to think that all the caches I didn't find were muggled. I was frustrated when I started working with my new gps :o . You must be too. It takes a few weeks to master a gps, but after a little while, I started to understand how the gps works and with that, how to use my gps :) . Just keep trying and you will get the hang of it. :o

Actually, I have a explorist 210. :D

GPS readings differ at times. Yours could be perhaps off 25 feet and the hiders could have been off 25 feet. We now have a 50 foot radius of potiental hiding spots. This is where the fun begins! Learn to think like a hider and the cache will hopefuly show itself! Start off with easier caches to learn your unit. You will be fine!

i used to use a 100 for my first gps its a decent begginer unit maps are also on gps's if u want to do it that way but the 100 does not use maps. i have never tryed caching with a map and a compass but maybe try letterboxing. letterboxing is similar to geocaching but u use a compass and main features to find the container i did a terible job of explaining that so just google letterboxing.

Maps are a great help.

On one trip, we guesstimated where to park, then got out and had the etrex navigate the rest.

We were pumped, according to the GPSr, we were only about 800 feet from the cache, as the bird flies.

Unfortunately for us, we are not birds and could not fly.

So, we bushwacked through buckthorn briars, crossed a stream (but just barely), had to scale a limestone cliff, and waded through gobs of ivy to finally get to the cache.

Of course, AFTER we found the cache we discovered a nearby path that led directly to a different parking area.

Figures.

-K

Here's a simple test to check it. Let the GPSr boot up- give it a few minutes to lock on. With yours, mark a spot. Push the mark button one time. Put something there, like a rock or a book to mark the spot. Name this mark test or something. Then, get a away from the spot. I suggest 50 yards or so. Then, push go to button and find the spot you marked. Watch your GPSr and not the spot. That's easier said than done. If your receiver is working properly, you should be able to get 30 feet close to it. It will probably be even closer, like dead on. Keep in mind that if someone marks a cache with a different brand, you'll still be close, 30 feet, but not as dead on as with yours. This was a very difficult lesson for me to understand. I thought a GPSr would always put you in the same spot. There is a different brand than mine that is always 30 feet west off of the mark. Keep this in mind when caching. This little test should help you see how/why/when/where it works.

Hey there! Also in the Tallahassee area, here.

The biggest Geocaching lesson I have learned is that you find more caches looking around the area than you do looking at the GPSr screen. This is echoed in many of the previous comments.

Once you get within 20 - 30 feet, you can pretty much put the GPSr away and start thinking, "If I were hiding a Geocache, where would I put it?!" 90% of the time, THAT is where you will find the cache!