Whats the record?

OXCACHER

I know I am going to hear caching isn't about numbers, but here is goes...

We just did a multi yesterday and attend local events. We even have an outing planned with our local group for a hike and mild repeling to a local waterfall cache, should be a great adventure.

We also enjoy traveling to other states and going on sun up to sundown cache runs.

My question is: What is the record for most caches found by a group and single cacher in a 24 hour period?

Is there such a number?

Can this be a Guinness record?

We just did a multi yesterday and attend local events. We even have an outing planned with our local group for a hike and mild repeling to a local waterfall cache, should be a great adventure.

We also enjoy traveling to other states and going on sun up to sundown cache runs.

My question is: What is the record for most caches found by a group and single cacher in a 24 hour period?

Is there such a number?

Yes there is such a number. It is controversial.

As for a Guiness record, I'll defer the real answer to people who are familiar in setting one up. From what little I know, I'll answer that no, it can't be a Guiness record.

As for telling us how you cache, it doesn't change the question because you aren't telling us why you want to know. :D

It sounds like fun.

A few of your favorite caching friends on a road trip, finding lots of caches, eating in out of the way restaurants, seeing new countrside, seeing the sunrise while caching, seeing the sunset while caching?

The planning involved in an accomplishment like 312 in 24 hours is much more difficult than pulling up one cache and going on a 12 mile hike. Now before the knees twitch remeber this is a game and it has many variations for all to enjoy.

I was on a 67 cache adventure with some other caches this summer, and it is an accomplishment just trying to put it together. We had 100 planned, but ran across some cool yard sales and played on a Merry go round.

It can be fun!

It can be fun!

Yes it can be fun. I know a few people who tried record runs (around 200 in a 24 hour period), and they had to overcome challenges, including fatique and darkness. As you are already aware, the key is meticulate planning, including choosing the area and route, and targeting caches to minimize access and search times.

Personally, I like improvising so I'll never be able to pull one off. I get mentally tired around 30 finds a day.

This should be interesting.... :D

Hihi.

WOW! thats an impressive team.

So the most caches found in a 24 hour period by a group of cachers is 312 according to the link by P.

Any others?

I don't think any Geocaching record attempt has has impartial observation and verification. So Guiness is not an option. That means that a the "record" is whatever is accepted by the Geocaching community at large as meeting at least the minimum Geocaching standards. As such I personally do not recognize 312. I acknowledge they had a lot of fun and will always have the memory of their adventure. But it's not a record. This has all been hashed out in the past. If you are really interested you can find that spirited discussion.

Is there such a number?

Guinness has a lot of restrictions and requirements on thier records. I think geocaching has too many variables on it to meet their needs. For instance, the difficulty level of the caches, how long the cache has been in place, what the relationship is between the hide and find people, and how well the scacher was stealthy during the find. You would have to regulate the placements so that you knew for sure they did not know where they were before caching day. You would have to regulate how they treated the cache, the area, and the items inside. Throw a little CITO in too..

Imagine I take a desert road in CA, place a cache every .1 miles in day-glo orange down the road, on a stick at car window height, and then invite you to drive down that road to take the record. What would be your requirements, and would they be similar to others....

A local radio station had one of their interns go for the Guinness record for watching TV the longest. They broadcasted from right next to him while he sat in a storefront window in downtown LA for everyone else to watch and it was obvious he made it -- but the medium at which the event was recorded was not acceptable, the way it was monitored was not right, etc...

It can be fun!

Yes it can be fun. I know a few people who tried record runs (around 200 in a 24 hour period), and they had to overcome challenges, including fatique and darkness. As you are already aware, the key is meticulate planning, including choosing the area and route, and targeting caches to minimize access and search times.

Personally, I like improvising so I'll never be able to pull one off. I get mentally tired around 30 finds a day.

LOL That's funny because we get sidetracked easily also. A good yard sale, a paticularly beautiful place to explore, or a buffet will pretty much do us in.

I like the remote caches, exploring, and enjoying nature, so I can understand that type of caching. It is the journey that is rewarding more than the find. In the same way, the cache runs are a journey and have rewards also.

By the way, when we go on cache runs...

We play Huckle Buckle. Each cacher finds the cache.

We all SIGN the log.

We usually take group photos at beautiful places along the route.

Edited by TalesFromTheSurface

This should be interesting.... :D

Hihi.

WOW! thats an impressive team.

So the most caches found in a 24 hour period by a group of cachers is 312 according to the link by P.

Any others?

I don't think any Geocaching record attempt has has impartial observation and verification. So Guiness is not an option. That means that a the "record" is whatever is accepted by the Geocaching community at large as meeting at least the minimum Geocaching standards. As such I personally do not recognize 312. I acknowledge they had a lot of fun and will always have the memory of their adventure. But it's not a record. This has all been hashed out in the past. If you are really interested you can find that spirited discussion.

You know I have to agree with you on recognizing the 312. Each cacher should have found and signed the log.

There are way too many variables to ever make a record like that meaningful. This record would always boil down to someone finding an area with the highest density of 1/1s. At least when somebody eats 53 hotdogs in 10 minutes you know exactly what they did.

Yeah, all the contestants have to eat the same brand hotdog, too, so no "I can eat whichever hotdog I want" exemptions... eliminates the potential taste advantage. :D

I think record runs are a fun "bragging tool" for a local region, especially among cacher friends. Otherwise, I agree with TrailGators that there are too many variables, and as a result, too much controversy to really mean anything.

There are way too many variables to ever make a record like that meaningful. This record would always boil down to someone finding an area with the highest density of 1/1s. At least when somebody eats 53 hotdogs in 10 minutes you know exactly what they did.

Yeah, all the contestants have to eat the same brand hotdog, too, so no "I can eat whichever hotdog I want" exemptions... eliminates the potential taste advantage. :D

I think record runs are a fun "bragging tool" for a local region, especially among cacher friends. Otherwise, I agree with TrailGators that there are too many variables, and as a result, too much controversy to really mean anything.

I think you may be correct about the controvesy.

We have cachers in an area not far from us who are die hard "Its not about the numbers" however, some of them rarely write more in a log than "Number 8 of 12 today". If its not about the numbers, why do they even bother to record something like that?

Then you have the "Quality Cahers" at TC, the other not about the numbers group. Their biggest topic right now is about guess what... Their scoring and their numbers.

This may be a mute topic so I will agree that we can disagree on this until the cows come home, but I do respect each cachers way of caching.

Cache On!

...I don't think any Geocaching record attempt has has impartial observation and verification. So Guiness is not an option. That means that a the "record" is whatever is accepted by the Geocaching community at large as meeting at least the minimum Geocaching standards. As such I personally do not recognize 312. I acknowledge they had a lot of fun and will always have the memory of their adventure. But it's not a record. This has all been hashed out in the past. If you are really interested you can find that spirited discussion.

When it comes to Guiness I suspect the first team to work out the details with them and then go do the job will automaticly get the record. Guiness (or the team or someone) would need to establish some kind of benchmark probably by looking at what went right and wrong with the informal record holders. This would lay out the rules that all record attempts will be required to follow so they are the same record instead of variations of records.

Well now...hot dogs come in all kinds of sizes and variations as well as different meat and fat content. The very fact that there is a record for the most hot dogs means that you can nail down a framework and let people figure out how to work within it. The rules may not specify beef or chicken or what kind of liquid is used in the process of making them, but but maybe contestants figure out that if they are made with chicken and lite beer they taste great and are less filling and that helps them down more in a contest.

We have figured out that signing the log book means the book, not the container. That's progress in nailing down a framework.

The rules for entry into Guiness are quite simple and straight-forward.

We thought our record attempt would be listed right up to the week before the run, but Guinness could not fit a geocaching speed run into any existing category, and they are loathe to create a category unless there is large interest and participation.

We had worked out all of the details for observation and documentation - the rules aren't a problem; it was simply the lack of a category that precluded us.

Interestingly, the only category they could suggest was the most geocachers (on a hunt / at an event / etc.) and that category might be addressed at a GW5 or similar event.

Have fun,

Ed

I found 52 in one day back in May 2006.

It is if interest to note that this run in Dallas was a group run and that they did not sign the logs. I like to find and open each cache myself whenever possible. I hate to make coat tail group "finds" when someone else actually found the cache.

So, the definition of a "find" is open too much to interpretation.

The rules for entry into Guiness are quite simple and straight-forward.

We thought our record attempt would be listed right up to the week before the run, but Guinness could not fit a geocaching speed run into any existing category, and they are loathe to create a category unless there is large interest and participation.

We had worked out all of the details for observation and documentation - the rules aren't a problem; it was simply the lack of a category that precluded us.

Interestingly, the only category they could suggest was the most geocachers (on a hunt / at an event / etc.) and that category might be addressed at a GW5 or similar event.

Have fun,

Ed

Thanks Ed