HEAR YE! HEAR YE! HEAR YE!

Eartha

WOW, I spent a lot of time merging duplicate threads today. As you all know there is a new Travel Bug in the family. The United For Diabetes awareness program has teamed up with Groundspeak and there are 20,000 travel bugs to be sent out to the first 20,000 that request them.

Please read this information before starting all these new threads. I cannot believe no one has even mentioned the photo contest. Got your interest? Read through and let's all try to keep the threads to a minimum. It's getting hard to wade through and Blue Deuce has been answering the same questions over and over today, while I keep merging threads together.

Now, get out there and take some fabulous photos, help raise awareness about Diabetes and how it affects so many, and maybe win yourself a nice Garmin GPSMap 60CSx.

I've got your interest don't I? :D Go to this link and inform yourself.

logo.gif

The answer to the most common issues posted.

The United For Diabetes TBs are already activated. You only need to grab it from its current location. If you are having trouble logging it, first make sure that the 0s are not Os and the Is are not 1s. If that doesn't work for you, send an email with both the tracking number on the tag, and the TB number on the page [sic] (if you have it) to contact@Groundspeak.com and put "U4D TB tracking# problem" as your subject line.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Well, I found a site (that I won't mention since it may not be affiliated with UFD) that sells rings for various health issues and the color associated to Diabetes is blue. Best I’ve come up with yet.

Eartha, you might want to add “United For Diabetes” some where in the title or description since we had a new “How do I activate” posting.

Well, I found a site (that I won't mention since it may not be affiliated with UFD) that sells rings for various health issues and the color associated to Diabetes is blue. Best I’ve come up with yet.

Was looking at various things at the UFD site and came across the circles over capetown. On that page it says "the blue diabetes circle represents the campaign for a United Nations Resolution on diabetes and has fast become the global symbol for diabetes (in much the same way as the red ribbon represents HIV/AIDS). The icon stands for unity in diabetes and symbolizes support for the campaign for a United Nations Resolution on diabetes." Theres also some blurbs about circles being 'unity' and blue being the 'sky under which we all live'.

Which I guess is an explation... but is this a new symbol?? or is it just repeating something they came up with years ago?? :)

"The flying circles carry a key fact about the global burden of diabetes and encourage recipients to access this website and ask governments to improve diabetes care and bring diabetes out from the shadows.

The Unite for Diabetes flying circle takes the form of a flying ring. The circle represents life, unity, and health. Its colour is the same as the flag of the United Nations and reflects the sky that unites us all.

Passing the flying circle is a symbolic gesture. It draws a line between one person and the next, uniting them in support of the IDF-led campaign to raise global awareness of diabetes and its complications."

So, there you have it. It's not a blue ring. It's a flying circle. Like a frisbee.

I am not sure where it originated, but the wedding ring has always been a symbol of unity because of it's circle qualities.

WOW, I spent a lot of time merging duplicate threads today. As you all know there is a new Travel Bug in the family. The United For Diabetes awareness program has teamed up with Groundspeak and there are 20,000 travel bugs to be sent out to the first 20,000 that request them.

Please read this information before starting all these new threads. I've got your interest don't I? :rolleyes: Go to this link and inform yourself.

Sorry if this has been asked and answered elsewhere, but why in the world would anyone be asked to give out their password in order to have a TB sent to them?????

Please read this information before starting all these new threads. I've got your interest don't I? :rolleyes: Go to this link and inform yourself.

Sorry if this has been asked and answered elsewhere, but why in the world would anyone be asked to give out their password in order to have a TB sent to them?????

That site belongs to gc.com so you are not giving out anything out that they don't already have, but it does insure that the person asking for the bug is a cacher and can log it when it arrives.

Please read this information before starting all these new threads. I've got your interest don't I? :ph34r: Go to this link and inform yourself.

That site belongs to gc.com so you are not giving out anything out that they don't already have, but it does insure that the person asking for the bug is a cacher and can log it when it arrives.

The best I could come up with is they didn't want me to request a TB in BlueDeue's name... <_<

It's the busiest mailing time of the year. Hard to tell. I'd say anytime between now, and later. Some have already arrived in the States, and I do not know how long international shipping will be.

Please post if you have received yours and live outside of the US.

Happy Holidays! :(

Bump

I got a U4D TB but lost the activation code. How do I find it? :huh:

The United For Diabetes TBs are already activated. You only need to grab it from its current location. If you are having trouble logging it, first make sure that the 0s are not Os and the Is are not 1s. If that doesn't work for you, send an email with both the tracking number on the tag, and the TB number on the page (if you have it) to contact@Groundspeak.com and put "U4D TB tracking# problem" as your subject line.

The United For Diabetes TBs are already activated. You only need to grab it from its current location. If you are having trouble logging it, first make sure that the 0s are not Os and the Is are not 1s. If that doesn't work for you, send an email with both the tracking number on the tag, and the TB number on the page (if you have it) to contact@Groundspeak.com and put "U4D TB tracking# problem" as your subject line.

So what your saying is that the The United For Diabetes TBs are already activated. You only need to grab it from its current location.

And if I'm having trouble logging it I should make sure that the 0s are not Os and the Is are not 1s. And if that doesn't work to send an email with both the tracking number on the tag, and the TB number on the page (if you have it) to contact@Groundspeak.com and put "U4D TB tracking# problem" as your subject line. :D

So what your saying is that the The United For Diabetes TBs are already activated. You only need to grab it from its current location.

And if I'm having trouble logging it I should make sure that the 0s are not Os and the Is are not 1s. And if that doesn't work to send an email with both the tracking number on the tag, and the TB number on the page (if you have it) to contact@Groundspeak.com and put "U4D TB tracking# problem" as your subject line. :P

No what I said was that Eartha said:

Now we are both saying it. :laughing:

Now we are both saying it. :D

Maybe that is where I am missing the problem. Where is my "supposedly activated" TB so I can grab it? When I enter the number, it still says the bug does not exist in the system. Perhaps I need to grab it from some parallel dimension. :laughing:

dad2jnk

Now we are both saying it. :D

Maybe that is where I am missing the problem. Where is my "supposedly activated" TB so I can grab it? When I enter the number, it still says the bug does not exist in the system. Perhaps I need to grab it from some parallel dimension. :laughing:

dad2jnk

Click on the PM under my avatar, and send me the tracking number and I'll check it for you.

Eartha

I want to sign up for a UFD TB although they might be all gone. But I was wondering why you need to give your password and phone number? I know GC.com is a reputable site but...I hate giving that info out online. Is there a specific reason for needing your password and would email not suffice for a contact method? I'm not trying to be Miss Paranoid here but its drilled into your head not to give out that kind of info online.

I want to sign up for a UFD TB although they might be all gone. But I was wondering why you need to give your password and phone number? I know GC.com is a reputable site but...I hate giving that info out online. Is there a specific reason for needing your password and would email not suffice for a contact method? I'm not trying to be Miss Paranoid here but its drilled into your head not to give out that kind of info online.

Yeah, I know it belongs to GC.com but if its not a secure site, the info can get snagged in transmission. Seems like all they'd need to do is check your ID name as a registered member and they'd have the phone and password already on file as you said. Its not a biggie...I was just wondering. Thanks! :)

That's cool. Nothing wrong with being careful. In fact it's better to be overly suspicious, than not enough.

I hear you loud and clear there...

I quazi understand the reasoning behind why GC says (or the one that was speculated earlier in this thread) they want the info, but to be perfectly honest with you they have it all already.

If all they were looking to do was verify the people asking for the TBs were the members requesting and that they could log in and log the bug then it would have been much easier and not as alarming, to the more paranoid user base, for GC to allow you to request a TB from the form, then it send your account's e-mail an automated url with specific user token that would redirect to a properly secured SSL site that uses the account password for authentication for you to verify your account information that is on hand versus having to duplicate data, or use more complex algorithms to grock and compare the data sets.

Personally having worked for several ISPs and other net based companies over the past 12+ years something definitely smells like a new targeted mailing list being generated for someones use. I sincerely hope that is incorrect, and is just me being paranoid.

As for the intent of these bugs/campaign, I highly commend GC for agreeing to allow and support them. I think this is an excellent type of awareness campaign that GC can support and retain it's light airy feel, while continuing to educate the user base.

I hope more of these types of opportunities are available in the future, but that GC also learns from each and adapts its support model for these types of spin-offs to ease some of the concerns of the users in the future.

Edited by renruts

Not sure where this orginated but I've heard it works ;)

Not sure where this orginated but I've heard it works ;)

I'm not so sure it does.

Edit: ah, grapevine. Didn't catch that the first time. :D

Edited by BlueDeuce

Eartha, do you now how the cities were selected for the TB's to travel to? Mine is supposed to go to Malayer, Iran. Geocaching is not very popular in Iran (5 total caches in the country and 2 of them are disabled). I don't believe there is a cache within 500 miles of Malayer. I am contacting the only active cacher in Iran that I know of to see if I can send the TB to him so it will at least get into Iran. Is anyone else having these issues?