Diabetes TBs's with-Impossible Goals?

uintahiker

On one hand, having an "impoosible" goal might ensure it never reaches that goal and therfore will travel around forever trying to get there... rather than just getting there and then disappearing.

On the other hand, having an "impossible" goal might make it disappear somewhere else anyway because no one wants to pick up a TB that is headed to a place with no caches or where cachers can get executed. :ph34r:

The one I got is headed to Oregon.

You think thats bad. This T.B is named after Eugene Oregon and it's currently in...... South Africa :ph34r:

Somehow I don't think it'll make it here :ph34r:

You can blame me for that one, but it has a good story behind it. If you read the very first post, you'll understand why we launched the campaign by placing the Eugene, Oregon TB in a cache overlooking Cape Town, South Africa. I wish I could come back and be the one to bring it to this side of the Atlantic. I loved Cape Town!

Look at it this way: There are 10's of thousands of us talking about diabetes. Maybe a percentage of these people will open their checkbook the next time they give to charity and they will give to diabetes. Maybe when a letter comes from a research foundation we will be more likely to send a few bucks.

This was a good reminder. Thanks

I am finding it is easy to worry so about these travel bugs, and I of course want to see mine make the crossing, but sometimes I see a bit of obsession in the Geocaching community regarding TBs and thier survival! Since this thread seemed a bit gloomy, I figured it was a good opportunity to broaden the message a touch!

Well..I received my UFD TB two days ago. I had actually forgotten about ordering it with all the holiday craziness going on this past month. It's goal is Sisialu, India. ;) I checked on nearby caches and found that there are two caches less than 100 miles away! Alas, they are both virtual caches located in Dehli. The next closest caches are over 100 miles a way and one of them has been recently plundered/compromised with access apparently limited by the "caretakers" of where it is located.

But I will say that I learned about the "JANTAR MANTAR's" purpose!!

I also picked up a UFD at a local cache yesterday..what are the odds of that!!IT has a goal of Sukuta, Gambia! I'm going to go check it out now!! Cache ya all later!! :anitongue:

You think thats bad. This T.B is named after Eugene Oregon and it's currently in...... South Africa :D

Somehow I don't think it'll make it here :D

I dropped one of my bugs in a cache in Idaho with a goal of making it back to Africa. It went to South Africa and the UK now it's back making it's way around Texas. So anything is possible

I've heard rumblings of the Diabetes TB's having goals to go to the 4 corners of the earth. Believe it or not, some of these corners don't have geocaches. What's the location your TB's going and how far away's the nearest cache?

I heard of one going to Burkina Faso. Unfortunately there's not a cache within 100 miles. :D

Congratulation, "my" TRAVELBUG go to Burkina Faso too. ;-)

local geocachers: picture: LOOKING FOR CACHE ;-)

very nice cache in the place (over 100miles) : CACHE

Edited by Autacek

G'day

Got my bug today. It is off to Bolobo, Congo (Dem. Rep.). Three caches in the country of which one is disabled. Should be fun watching this one travel.

I thought of adding a laminated objectives card to the bug. Has anyone else done this?

Regards

Andrew

G'day Cobber,

I have added a wee laminated tag to my bug, should make for a smoother journey. :D:D

Meru, Kenya! 20 caches in the whole country. 8 are virtuals. 5 regulars have never been found. 4 others have not been visited in over 2 years. Closet caches are 42.7 & 53.9 miles away but neither one has been visited yet. Closet one with any activity in the last year is 59 miles away. Another at 72.5 miles hasn't seen any activity in over two years.

I'm not holding my breath but I really, really hope someone suprises me!

I feel kind of sad. All the wonderful and exotic places for these bugs to travel and mine only needs to go to Floral Park, NY. It will be starting it's journey in Conroe, TX next week. May it have a safe and joyous trip. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 4 years ago and I think this is a great way to promote awareness about this growing problem.

My UFD TB is headed to Zuidhorn, Netherlands! There seem to be quite a few caches in that area.

I do have a question though. Is it permissable to mail a TB to somewhere in closer proximity to the goal? I understand the point is to have it pass through many hands/caches on its journey. Say for instance if I could get it to England so it can wend its way to the Netherlands. Surely it would pass through an awful lot of hands to get there. Would that be considered too much of a short cut? Wouldn't it have to eventually cross the waters anyway to get there? I can certainly drop it in a cache here where I live but I thought it might be nice to at least get it to the proper continent. The TBs are in English so I hope someone in the Netherlands will understand what the tag says.

I did add a laminated card in honor of my grandmother, grandfather, father and friend who have diabetes...just to raise awareness of how common it is.

My UFD TB is headed to Zuidhorn, Netherlands! There seem to be quite a few caches in that area.

I do have a question though. Is it permissable to mail a TB to somewhere in closer proximity to the goal?

In this situation, I would think the answer would be no. It is clearly stated on the travel bug's page:

"The goal for this Unite For Diabetes Travel Bug is to raise awareness of diabetes by traveling to "Town Name" and within "Town Name", collecting photographs and geocaching logs along the way. Please log your visit and move me to a new geocache. "

You can't log via snail mail. You can't take photos inside mailboxes. It's too dark in there. Let's give the cachers in between here and the Unite For Diabetes Travel Bug's goal a chance to move them too.

I am a Scot and lived in New Zealand as a baby until my early 20s . when I returned to Glasgow to get married and buy our house near Glasgow. One year ago we came back to NZ for a 2 year working holiday with the kids to stay with family. Soon after arriving in NZ I was told about Geocaching by my Borther-in law ( he has now stopped caching ) Found over 400 in less than a year.

I was over the moon when I received my Diabetes TB yesterday. :lol:;):lol:

Its goal is to get to Cumbernauld , Scotland , United Kingdom. Cumbernauld is about 20 miles away from my house in Glasgow. The race is now on to see who gets home first.

:lol:;):lol:

My co-worker is from Ghana. He should be traveling home this summer. :D

Mine is from Benin (near Ghana). No caches there.

I've been following the caches in Ghana since my Diabetes TB is from the area.

Get this: There are 7 caches in Ghana. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.asp...amp;lon=-0.3085

One is brand new. Several are 3 or 4 years old. NONE HAVE EVER BEEN FOUND. I've emailed a nice guy who is the owner of several caches (bushratgh). We've exchanged a few friendly notes. He has hid 5 caches none of which have been found. He himself has never found a cache, since there just aren't any nearby that he can get to. Few people can afford a GPSr and his caches are literally in the middle of nowhere.

Perhaps we should all email him to let him know that others feel his pain. :D

My co-worker is from Ghana. He should be traveling home this summer. :huh:

Mine is from Benin (near Ghana). No caches there.

I've been following the caches in Ghana since my Diabetes TB is from the area.

Get this: There are 7 caches in Ghana. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.asp...amp;lon=-0.3085

One is brand new. Several are 3 or 4 years old. NONE HAVE EVER BEEN FOUND. I've emailed a nice guy who is the owner of several caches (bushratgh). We've exchanged a few friendly notes. He has hid 5 caches none of which have been found. He himself has never found a cache, since there just aren't any nearby that he can get to. Few people can afford a GPSr and his caches are literally in the middle of nowhere.

Perhaps we should all email him to let him know that others feel his pain. :anicute:

Sending you an email first.

Mine has to go to Behghazi, Libya (from South Africa).

Not an impossible task by any means, but there is (was) only one cache in the entire country - out in the desert, GC866F, place 8/29/2002 and last visited for a find on 1/20/2003.

I have no idea whether it is still there.

I have emailed the owner although his profile states "Not Validated Member".

I have had no reply as yet.

But I will place the tb, in a specially built cache with a diabetes theme and try to get it on its way.

I've compiled a list with the U4D TB received be some portuguese geocachers. Some have goals "easy" to be achieved, while others not really.

Nigeria, India, Japan, Peru, Kazakhstan, Afghanistan, India, etc.

Check the post and the list. The post is in portuguese, but the list is perfectly understable.

Ours is going to Trenton, NJ. We left it in London, UK. :D

Mine is wanting to go to Gannavaram, India, which is in the Andhra Pradesh. (Wiki is a truly wonderful thing.) The town is fixing to build a huge technology center on speculation, evidently, hoping to become another site where your tech support can originate. Right now, it's only claim to fame seems to be that it has an airport. There are only 20 caches in all of India, and only 3 anywhere near this town - one disabled and all in the next state over. I also added a laminated tag to mine, thinking nobody would have any clue at all when they found it otherwise. It's going to South India, so at least it will remain a southerner of sorts. Does this mean my horizons have been broadened?

=)