Diabetes TBs's with-Impossible Goals?

uintahiker

I've heard rumblings of the Diabetes TB's having goals to go to the 4 corners of the earth. Believe it or not, some of these corners don't have geocaches. What's the location your TB's going and how far away's the nearest cache?

The one I got is headed to Oregon.

I heard of one going to Burkina Faso. Unfortunately there's not a cache within 100 miles. :santa:

I don't think they necessarily have to be placed in caches in the goal cities. They just need to meet the residents of those cities and post pics.

If there is no caches in the city that probably means that there is not many cachers, therefore they would have no clue what you are trying to take a picture of them for. Still would be fun to explain.

Hummm a hundred miles from nearest cache....

I live in Colorado and with the recent storms, most of the caches within a hundred miles are covered with snow....

So for the next couple months I set my limits to 100 miles away and more....

I see no problem with the goals.....

Its not where it suppose to go, It is for awareness throughout the world....

Edited by Team_Talisman

The bug I received, "Yesan, Korea (South)" Unite for Diabetes Travel Bug," has this goal:

"The goal for this Unite For Diabetes Travel Bug is to raise awareness of diabetes by traveling to Yesan and within Yesan, collecting photographs and geocaching logs along the way. Please log your visit and move me to a new geocache. "

"This Unite for Diabetes Travel Bug is dedicated to the people in Yesan, Korea (South) who have been affected by Diabetes."

There are 22 caches within 50 miles of N 36° 41.400 E 126° 50.400 :)

For some reason I didnt think the TB would be activated when I recieved it. :blink:

I've seen TB making unbelievable trips (like two around the world!). Why it wouldn't be possible to go to China? or from South Africa to USA?

Bugs and coins travel around the world all the time via various means such as people actually taking them with them from one country to the next, via sharing (e.g. World Traveller Release Register) and via the Stargate network.

Plenty of options to help the bug achive its goals.

Andrew

My GF recieved a diabetes TB with the goal of reaching Kyzyl-Suu, Kyrgyzstan which is N 7018.8 miles away from here!!! We saw the move "Borat" last week and this was the country in the movie he was supposed to be from. Very funny..Nearest cache to Kyzyl-Suu is 48 miles away and get this, The cache is a 0,5 liter glass bank??? Glass??? Sounds like the movie.

I've heard rumblings of the Diabetes TB's having goals to go to the 4 corners of the earth. Believe it or not, some of these corners don't have geocaches. What's the location your TB's going and how far away's the nearest cache?

The one I got is headed to Oregon.

I heard of one going to Burkina Faso. Unfortunately there's not a cache within 100 miles. :)

Sweet!

I got 'San Luis de la Paz, Mexico'

The nearest cache is 39 miles aways, placed in 2004 and has never been found. A confluence cache.

http://www.aboutguanajuato.com/guanajuato/en/history.asp

San Luis de la Paz, besides being lively, friendly and enterprising, is a city with spirit, proud of its past and still conserving its typical provincial flavour. Day by day, the people of San Luis de la Paz continue to discover and love this little corner of Mexico that optimistically promotes a devotion to hard work.

In the rest of the municipality of San Luis de la Paz, you will find the opportunity to go back in time and to enjoy a rich variety of spots that are invitations to adventure, relaxation, meditation, the arts and study. Here you can admire aspects of natural beauty such as forests, waterfalls and grottos, as well as examples of colonial architecture, haciendas and the ruins of an old mining town.

The northeast of the state of Guanajuato is little known to most people. The town of Mineral de Pozos was founded in 1576 and forms a part of the municipality of San Luis de la Paz. This old mining town, now an attraction thanks to its weathered beauty and the remains of its fabled past, is located only 9 km south of San Luis.

Sounds like a place worth supporting

So, when you get one of these particular tb's, they come with a destination already set? That's cool, I guess. I put in for one. I also ordered 4 of the regular TB's. I've got an idea for one of them. Not sure about the other 3.

So what's the idea with the TB's then? I just go find a cache and leave the TB there? I start a NEW cache for the TB? and, I'm not supposed to start a new cache within a certain distance to another cache?

ok, now, just as soon as UPS delivers my GPS, I'll get started. Weeeeeee

I may have the opposite problem. Mine says Fairhaven, USA.

Checking my S&T map program shows a Fairhaven in 9 states. Actually this may be fun traveling from one to the next Fairhaven.

The one you have wants to go to Fairhaven, Massachusetts. (Send it my way! :( )

You can tell which Fairhaven it wants to go to by clicking the link at the end of the "About this item" text on the bug's page, where it says "View Geocaches Near Fairhaven".

You think thats bad. This T.B is named after Eugene Oregon and it's currently in...... South Africa :(

Somehow I don't think it'll make it here :(

Hopefully it will make it to Eugene.

For those of you who don't know, that particular Unite for Diabetes Travel Bug is just a little bit special.

On, December 4th, 2006, the International Diabetes Federation launched the Unite for Diabetes Travel Bug Challenge by placing the Eugene, Oregon Travel Bug in the TF16 180° Sea geocache (GCWK3K).

Clare Rosenfeld grew up in Eugene Oregon and she was the the first person to propose a UN Resolution on Diabetes. On December 4th, she handed over the Eugene Oregon travel bug to Dana Lewis who trekked to the top of Signal Hill in Cape Town, South Africa to place it, the first U4D travel bug, in the TF16 180° geocache.

I kinda like my Diabetes Awareness TB.

I am painfully aware of diabetes myself since The Snoogstress and I were diagnosed with Type 2 almost a year ago.

However, my awareness of Oyem, Gabon has been raised 100%

Poor Gabon is one of the very few cachless countries. :( We need to form a CacheAid organization for countries that have no caches. :(

Edited by Snoogans

Anybody up for some FTF's in China?? The nearest cache to my Diabetes TB is over 100 miles. There is five unfound caches within 300 miles. Of course there is only 8 caches within 300 miles and one is temporarily diasbled. There is one 319 miles that has been unfound since placement June 23. 2002. Yep that's right unfound four over 4 1/2 yrs. That would be a great FTF. The closest cache hasn't been found since placed May 06. 2006.

"Baoji, China" Unite for Diabetes Travel Bug is a Unite for Diabetes Travel Bug, traveling from Geocache to Geocache on a very specific mission.

My current goal:

The goal for this Unite For Diabetes Travel Bug is to raise awareness of diabetes by traveling to Baoji and within Baoji, collecting photographs and geocaching logs along the way. Please log your visit and move me to a new geocache.

Look at it this way: There are 10's of thousands of us talking about diabetes. We are telling our friends and loved ones and coworkers about this effort. That is recruiting more geocachers and opening up a discussion about diabetes. A few thousand more summertime geocachers will pick up these bugs long after these discussions have died down and they will look up the bug and talk to people about diabetes.

So what happens next? Maybe a percentage of these people will open their checkbook the next time they give to charity and they will give to diabetes. Maybe when a letter comes from a research foundation we will be more likely to send a few bucks. This is a subtle effort to keep something alive in your mind. We don't really need ads for McDonalds, I doubt there is a soul left in the USA who doesn't know about McDonalds ... but they advertise like crazy because at that critical moment in time when you make the decision to grab a burger they are hoping that their restaurants will edge out the competition in your mind because they were able to leave the last or best impression. Same with this promotion.

Diabetes is becoming an epidemic in the US, and presumably the world. It is growing by factors, and yet we are fairly complacent because of the high tech treatments we have here in the US. Insulin pumps, oral meds, early detection etc. that the rest of the world may not enjoy. Read some of the stats on how fast diabetes is growing and you will feel doubly good about your efforts to promote awareness.

My bug may not make it to Romania, but it may touch a lot of lives wherever it goes. That is the true goal!

Todd

Look at it this way: There are 10's of thousands of us talking about diabetes. We are telling our friends and loved ones and coworkers about this effort. That is recruiting more geocachers and opening up a discussion about diabetes. A few thousand more summertime geocachers will pick up these bugs long after these discussions have died down and they will look up the bug and talk to people about diabetes.

So what happens next? Maybe a percentage of these people will open their checkbook the next time they give to charity and they will give to diabetes. Maybe when a letter comes from a research foundation we will be more likely to send a few bucks.

This was a good reminder. Thanks

SBC retrieved our 'Unite for Diabetes Travelbug' from the PO Box today. I wasn't really certain if we would receive one or not, but I'm happy that we did. I have read most of the logs, and it's likely that some of them won't reach their goal, but I also agree, that awareness is the primary goal of all of these TB's. The one that we received, has the destination of "Kanzaki, Japan". It might actually have a chance of arriviving there too, because a personal TB that was supposed to stay in the Kansas City area, :) travelled to Japan, so we'll see. A geocacher in Japan, saw this TB's goal, and it is back in the KC area again. :P Anyway, I think these travelbugs will be moved along. Most of geocachers I've met, are good people, and will help to move these along. We think it will be fun to track their progress where ever they go, and see how many reach their goals. This is a unique opportunity for all of us, to launch these TB's, and make this small contribution towards Diabetes Awareness. Thanks from SBC.