Venture/Legend Cx vs. GPSMAP 60c

Galasius

I'm thinking about getting a GPSr for my father for Christmas and have been leaning toward the Garmin eTrex Venture Cx or Legend Cx.

I have been using a GPSMAP 60C for about 9 months and have generally been very happy with it (a little more memory would be nice, but it's manageable).

Can anyone share some comparative opinion/performance between the Venture/Legend Cx and the GPSMAP 60C? Based on specs and features, they look quite similar. How is the Venture/Legend's reception with the internal patch antenna compared to the GPSMAP's Quad Helix?

And, does the Venture/Legend offer the same internal routing (and POI) capability at the GPSMAP with maps installed?

Thanks in advance,

Dave...

I'm thinking about getting a GPSr for my father for Christmas and have been leaning toward the Garmin eTrex Venture Cx or Legend Cx.

I have been using a GPSMAP 60C for about 9 months and have generally been very happy with it (a little more memory would be nice, but it's manageable).

Can anyone share some comparative opinion/performance between the Venture/Legend Cx and the GPSMAP 60C? Based on specs and features, they look quite similar. How is the Venture/Legend's reception with the internal patch antenna compared to the GPSMAP's Quad Helix?

And, does the Venture/Legend offer the same internal routing (and POI) capability at the GPSMAP with maps installed?

Thanks in advance,

Dave...

I have used a 60CS, 60CSx, and VentureCX, which is pretty much the same unit as the LegendCX but ships without the microSD or miniUSB cable. The 60CSx definately acquires faster and seems to hold a lock better under tree cover than the VentureCX, but it still gets squirrelly under cover just like any GPSr. The quad helix does seem to be better than the patch antenna but just how much better, or if the difference really matters, I can't say. I find I am leaving the 60 series units at home more and more and just going with the VentureCX. Take a look at my post here.

Thanks for the info and post link, media601.

Can you comment on routing functionality of the Venture vs. GPSMAP? Same setup and functionality?

Dave..

------

Thanks in advance,

Dave...

I have used a 60CS, 60CSx, and VentureCX, which is pretty much the same unit as the LegendCX but ships without the microSD or miniUSB cable. The 60CSx definately acquires faster and seems to hold a lock better under tree cover than the VentureCX, but it still gets squirrelly under cover just like any GPSr. The quad helix does seem to be better than the patch antenna but just how much better, or if the difference really matters, I can't say. I find I am leaving the 60 series units at home more and more and just going with the VentureCX. Take a look at my post here.

Thanks for the info and post link, media601.

Can you comment on routing functionality of the Venture vs. GPSMAP? Same setup and functionality?

Same functionality, same MapSource maps, slightly different means to setup and use. The 60 series has more "dedicated" buttons, such as Mark and Find. The VentureCX often requires an extra button push to do some of the same things as in the 60 series. The price of this convenience is added size, weight, and cost of the 60 series. For specifics, download the product manuals for each unit from Garmin.com.

I have used both units you are looking at, I own the 60C, and have used my friends legend c.

The mapping functions between the two are basically identical, The 60C being alittle easier to navigate menus due to the dedicated buttons.

I feel the big differences are in the screen size, the antenna systems, and battery life.

The 60 family have a larger screen, giving those of us with older eyes a bit of a break when trying to use it for autorouting (I have the dashboard mount for the 60 series)

When my friend and I go out caching together we have found my 60C to be consistently more accurate when we get close to the cache, often leading me to within a couple of feet, when her legend C indicates several meters. I find the 60C updates much faster than the Legend as well.

One draw back of the 60C is the battery consumption, I find that I am not getting anywhere near to battery life Garmin advertises. If I am using it with backlight on I will use up a set of batteries (NiMh) in about 3 hours. Without the backlight I get about 16 - 20 hours. If useing it in the car I really recommend the 12 volt adapter.

Good luck

jamie

Thanks for the good info.

Looks like the Venture Cx or Legend Cx will be a good choice.

Dave..

---------

I have used both units you are looking at, I own the 60C, and have used my friends legend c.

The mapping functions between the two are basically identical, The 60C being alittle easier to navigate menus due to the dedicated buttons.

I feel the big differences are in the screen size, the antenna systems, and battery life.

The 60 family have a larger screen, giving those of us with older eyes a bit of a break when trying to use it for autorouting (I have the dashboard mount for the 60 series)

When my friend and I go out caching together we have found my 60C to be consistently more accurate when we get close to the cache, often leading me to within a couple of feet, when her legend C indicates several meters. I find the 60C updates much faster than the Legend as well.

One draw back of the 60C is the battery consumption, I find that I am not getting anywhere near to battery life Garmin advertises. If I am using it with backlight on I will use up a set of batteries (NiMh) in about 3 hours. Without the backlight I get about 16 - 20 hours. If useing it in the car I really recommend the 12 volt adapter.

Good luck

jamie