Garmin PC Interface Cable

saopaulo1@hotmail.com

Easily transmitting waypoints is a big plus. The first time you key in the wrong coordinates and spend a long time searching the wrong place you'll see the benefit in that. Its also nice to be able to load a bunch of caches into your unit at a time if you're out for a day of caching. If you become a premium member, you can load geocache waypoints in batches of up to 500 via pocket queries.

You can also back up your waypoints to a PC, so if you break the unit or accidently delete the waypoints you have a backup.

You can also upload detailed maps to your unit. As you already know the base map that comes with the unit is virtually useless, so if you want better maps you can purchase something like Garmin Mapsource Topo and you will have much more detailed maps on your Legend.

If you have the detailed mapping software you can create tracks on your PC and load them to your Legend, or create tracks on your Legend and have them show up on your PC. You can also create your own cache maps by loading the waypoints to your PC. On person I know of has his own map that shows caches he hasn't done yet and those he has already done. It shows up on a street map using City Select.

You can load firmware upgrades to the unit. Firmware upgrades will fix some problems with the unit and sometimes add features. When the Legend went from 500, to 1,000 waypoint capacity it was via an upgrade that current owners who had a cable could load to their unit.

okay, question, and this is gonna sound really dumb or really funny. i started a thread a few days ago about easy gps and loc files and got some great answers, so i downloaded it and went to connect my legend via the cable that came with it to my laptop and...uh...er...i do not have a serial connection on my laptop. there is something that looks like it, but it isn't. i thought the whole time it was. so what are my choices for connecting my legend to my laptop? is there a serial to usb cable or something?

okay, question, and this is gonna sound really dumb or really funny. i started a thread a few days ago about easy gps and loc files and got some great answers, so i downloaded it and went to connect my legend via the cable that came with it to my laptop and...uh...er...i do not have a serial connection on my laptop. there is something that looks like it, but it isn't. i thought the whole time it was. so what are my choices for connecting my legend to my laptop? is there a serial to usb cable or something?

Yes there is, look on Ebay for a good deal, or pretty much any CompUSA type store will have it as well, I use one to hook my Garmin into my laptop, great gadget!