explorist 210 geocaching binary file format

bengtb

PLEASE DISREGARD OF THIS MESSAGE -- I GOT IT BACKWARDS. EVERYTHING IS OK.

(how do I go about deleting this message?)

I recently started to use a Macintosh and (naturally?) the Magellan Geocaching Manager does not work there so I started to look for alternatives. GPSbable looked good and has a passable GUI for converting files.

Though the files that gpsbabel creates when asked to create a magellan geocaching file is a textfile with lines staring with $PMGNGEO which is an extension to the NMEA protocol suit. This is indeed the geocaching manager file that is saved on the PC (using the .geo extension on my PC), but NOT the one saved on the GPS unit (using the .gs extension on my explorist).

The file used on the explorist 210 is a binary format. Do you guys know how to convert a $PMGNGEO text file to the .gs binary format used on the GPS unit? I cannot find any documentation for it anywhere.

/Bengt B

ps

gpsbabel doesn't handle 8-bit characters in the Latin1 alphabet such as åä and ö by the way. Both formats created by the Magellan software handles these characters very well. Being from Sweden this matters to me.

ds

Edited by bengtb