LTFs?

Sioneva

This thread is dedicated to bragging about those caches you were the very last to find, before they got archived. Never mind this FTF nonsense... it takes special talent to be the LTF on a cache. :( I, myself, got co-LTF, and LTL on an earthcache just the other day... what are your favorite ones? :wub: (Caches archived because they were muggled after you were there are a whole separate category!)

At the request of a Reviewer, I removed one of Oregon's last movable caches. On May 23 I hiked across several inches of snow for about a mile to remove "Hide & Seek" (GC33E7). The cache lived for 4 years 4months & 4 days. The reviewer was kind enough to unlock the log for 30 minutes so that I could be the last to log. I attached a TB to the logbook which is named "Hide & Seek Lives On". The original cache box was returned to PabloMac at an event cache he was hosting. He had found it long before I started caching :(

Tom Fuller

This thread is dedicated to bragging about those caches you were the very last to find, before they got archived. Never mind this FTF nonsense... it takes special talent to be the LTF on a cache. B) I, myself, got co-LTF, and LTL on an earthcache just the other day... what are your favorite ones? :) (Caches archived because they were muggled after you were there are a whole separate category!)

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...03-8e64170b74d7

My LTF. It's fortunate I found it when I did, but it WAS my note to the owner that got it archived... B)

--MGb

Edit: Forgot my sig...

Edited by mgbmusic

We were out caching one day with old paperwork that we had printed off months prior. Found a cache that was on land with "Private Property" signs all over it. Normally wouldn't go after it, but we were only 25 feet away. Anyway, we found the container and signed the log, but when we got home to log on the computer we had discovered that it had been archived. Well, I logged it anyway. After all a find is a find and we did sign the log. Next day the log got deleted as the cache page had been archived. So I went out and retrieved the container itself so this wouldn't happen to anyone else. When and if my broken ankle and torn ligiment ever heal, I'm planning to go and try to offset the container in the hopes that it can be reborn. Of course then I would be the LTF anymore!

This thread is dedicated to bragging about those caches you were the very last to find, before they got archived. Never mind this FTF nonsense... it takes special talent to be the LTF on a cache. B) I, myself, got co-LTF, and LTL on an earthcache just the other day... what are your favorite ones? :) (Caches archived because they were muggled after you were there are a whole separate category!)
I've always felt (when my caches have been muggled) that it was the LTF that revealed the cache location to a muggle... B)

i tend to keep an eye on the caches i've done until i'm no longer ltf! then i know that someone else has the responsibility to have hidden it properly and that if it gets muggled then nothing to do with me!

Oh, I know that feeling! There's one in the city that I watched for two weeks before the next person found it!

As to Sioneva's question (remembering that sometimes I go looking for some very strange caches):

I see four that the owners decided to archive even though the caches were in good condition. One archived all his caches; the other got bored with those particular caches.

One was archived for violating guidelines.

Five were in very poor condition when I found them (and were archived rather than replaced)

One was victim to construction

One is probably still there, but the cache owner couldn't find it, so he archived it.

Other than the one right next to the seating at a little league field (and which was muggled), my active LTFs are from a month ago.

not yet.

I had one that was disabled after I found it because it was missing.

I went out the moment I read that, and looked for it in the rain. It was still right where I had found it, but apparently it had been moved. (not by me, I never even picked up or opened the container. it was the second cache I'd found and I just went to make sure in advance I could find it before bringing my gf along to try and get her hooked on caching.)

What about being LTF on a cache that was already archived? Reflections Cache was last found on 08-24-04, disabled on 06-07-05, archived on 10-07-05, and found, (and logged!), by me on 02-07-06. After the August '04 find, it sat quietly through 3 hurricanes, and was submerged under about 2 feet of water for at least 4 months of that 1.5 year time between loggings. The contents were still bone dry. Gotta love an ammo can! I took the cache home with me, and it is still sitting on a shelf waiting for the day that the owner gets back into caching.

What about being LTF on a cache that was already archived? Reflections Cache was last found on 08-24-04, disabled on 06-07-05, archived on 10-07-05, and found, (and logged!), by me on 02-07-06. After the August '04 find, it sat quietly through 3 hurricanes, and was submerged under about 2 feet of water for at least 4 months of that 1.5 year time between loggings. The contents were still bone dry. Gotta love an ammo can! I took the cache home with me, and it is still sitting on a shelf waiting for the day that the owner gets back into caching.
Very cool! :D

I've got a few LTF's. Typically they are because I removed the cache. Either they were remanants of a cache bulldozed over by urban growth or as requested by the cache owner when new land management policy wanted caches removed.

Hey, I was along with you when you removed a cache (Encouragement), and thus I proudly claim LTF on that one! :)

I've only had one LTF... and at least it's guaranteed it wasn't my fault.

When I found the cache, it was open, devoid of ALL contents EXCEPT the logbook for some reason, and sitting beside where it should have been hidden. The lid was the first thing I saw actually, followed by the container. The logbook was soaked wet (what with it being open and all), but I managed to sign it after attempting to dry it. I closed it up, tossed in my signature item, and re-hid it as best I could.

The cache owner said this was the third time it had been muggled, so they archived it. But yeah... LTF, purely because the thieves had left the container and logbook, but stripped the swag from the container.

I was the last to find this virtual cache. The signs with the required information were being taken down as I stood there reading them.

Several people posted finds on the archived cache, and from reading their logs they clearly didn't have the required information.

I wasn't the last to log a find, but I was THE LTF!!!!!

It is clear from the logs that cybercat is the LTF for that cache. The cache owner is, for whatever reason, allowing the late logs to stay. Are you trying to say that the cache owner is wrong about his own cache?

I was the last to find this virtual cache. The signs with the required information were being taken down as I stood there reading them.

Several people posted finds on the archived cache, and from reading their logs they clearly didn't have the required information.

It is clear from the logs that cybercat is the LTF for that cache. The cache owner is, for whatever reason, allowing the late logs to stay. Are you trying to say that the cache owner is wrong about his own cache?

No, cybercat was the last to log, but he didn't find the information asked for on the cache page. I was the last to find it, as it was removed by city workers as I was reading the sign.

I didn't say anything about the owner.

I had details with me that were printed out long before. I tracked it down and found it. I thought it was pretty tough getting through the poison ivy TREES that were all over the place. I did find it. When I checked out the web, I discovered that it had been disabled a while back...due to poison ivy. Maybe it will get enabled later. I don't know.

No, cybercat was the last to log, but he didn't find the information asked for on the cache page. I was the last to find it, as it was removed by city workers as I was reading the sign.

It is the owner of the cache, not you, who determines what qualifies as a find on his cache. The owner of the cache makes it clear in the description for this cache he will delete any logs that feels are not legitinate. The owner has been recently active and the logs are over a year and 9 months old. It is clear to me that the owner feels that those logs are legitimate as they stand.

Your Found It log was on the 9th. Cybercat's Found It log was on the 14th. Call me simple but cybercat is clearly the last to find. To further my point there was a total of 3 Found It logs (including the one by cybercat) made after your Found It log.

It is the owner of the cache, not you, who determines what qualifies as a find on his cache. The owner of the cache makes it clear in the description for this cache he will delete any logs that feels are not legitinate. The owner has been recently active and the logs are over a year and 9 months old. It is clear to me that the owner feels that those logs are legitimate as they stand.

Your Found It log was on the 9th. Cybercat's Found It log was on the 14th. Call me simple but cybercat is clearly the last to find. To further my point there was a total of 3 Found It logs (including the one by cybercat) made after your Found It log.

It's a VIRTUAL cache. The cache description clearly leads you to a sign where you're supposed to "find" information. You're not supposed to "find" a house on a trailer or any of the other things that the people "found" after I was there. Cybercat was the last to log a find, but I was the last to find the actual cache.

It's like you logging a find on a cache where the ammo can (and log book) had been taken away 5 days before you got there. Just because you log it, doesn't mean you found it. See the difference?

Again, I didn't say anything about the owner. I didn't say he was wrong. I didn't say that the logs after mine should be deleted. I only said that I was the last one to find the information requested on the page, the virtual cache, and that the information had been removed before other folks got to the site to look for it.

If they want to log it as found, and the owner wants to let them keep the logs, more power to them. I'll raise an eyebrow and even question why they did it, but it's no skin off my nose if they want to play the game different than I do.

If you want to go log a find I'm sure the owner will probably let it stay too.

Just last night I requested an archiving of a cache I was LTF on in September. Drove through the area yesterday to check on it after a DNF. It was poorly placed to begin with (in the middle of a pasture, not concealed in anyway other than tallgrass prairie which was quickly tamped down.) It's coords were never placed right. Several very experienced cachers put DNF's on it before it was found because the coords were off by 100' or more. Not sure how that could happen in an area with no trees or anything within 200 yds. Fresh coords were posted periodically to keep them on the front page. The cache owner moved and hadn't logged in since May (plus had left a note for anyone to who wanted to adopt). The grassy area it was in was in a public hunting area, so I'm guessing hunters found it and grabbed it as it had no camoflage whatsoever (a grey plastic box in brown grass).

This one was just waiting to die. Glad there were no TB's in it when it did.

It's a VIRTUAL cache. The cache description clearly leads you to a sign where you're supposed to "find" information. You're not supposed to "find" a house on a trailer or any of the other things that the people "found" after I was there. Cybercat was the last to log a find, but I was the last to find the actual cache.

It's like you logging a find on a cache where the ammo can (and log book) had been taken away 5 days before you got there. Just because you log it, doesn't mean you found it. See the difference?

Again, I didn't say anything about the owner. I didn't say he was wrong. I didn't say that the logs after mine should be deleted. I only said that I was the last one to find the information requested on the page, the virtual cache, and that the information had been removed before other folks got to the site to look for it.

If they want to log it as found, and the owner wants to let them keep the logs, more power to them. I'll raise an eyebrow and even question why they did it, but it's no skin off my nose if they want to play the game different than I do.

If you want to go log a find I'm sure the owner will probably let it stay too.

For there to be a last to find there needs to be a first to find and usually some finders in between. Sometimes the first to find is also the last to find. However, not every one who finds a cache can be the be the last to find it. You can try and rationalize it however you want but it doesn't change the fact that there were others that logged a find after you.

If there is no standard then anyone can claim a last to find on any cache no matter when they found it. Dismissing someone else's find just because you feel like it doesn't seem to be reasonable to me. I guess I should chalk this one up to people playing to game how they want to play the game and realize that anyone can claim they found a cache last even if other have found it after them.

Funny topic...

I was FTF and LTF on the same cache on the same day. Turned out the cache owner entered coords incorrectly, placing it too close to an existing cache. We found it and emailed the cache owner. It was immediately archived. The cache owner asked us to go out and retrieve his cache container as we were the only ones to find it. Now, I just have to find a suitable location to move it to.

I was LTF (along with son, JuniorNimrod) at the GPS Check virtual (GC365D) before owner archived it due to many comments of suspicious (drug?) activity in the area. DragonsEar found / logged it after it was archived not realizing it had been.

I was the last to log Eagle's Enigma (GCD7DC) before it was archived, though I only found the remnants (base) of the intended object of this virtual cache. THE DAM TROLLS seem to have been the last to find before the home owner moved and took the item with them. Would love to find out if and where it may have been moved to.

Along with JuniorNimrod, I was also the LTF American Pride (GCPH8E) before it was apparently destroyed by muggles. I know that we hid it at least as well as it had been place when we found it, which I thought was well, but did doubt myself when I read cgcaxel's log that it had been destroyed. Falcon Loader then disabled the cache. There is an odd log nearly 2 weeks later by some one who sounds like they may have found a remnant. I don't know that cacher, but it's an odd log.

Other than my most recent finds, that's it. They were all within a month and I was begining to feel like I had a bad touch.

Going through some cache descriptions for an area I was going to visit soon, I read one that said "This cache will be removed and archived on (date)."

I was there the morning of that day, found it and signed the log as LTF. Whether the thing was actually ever removed or archived, I don't know, but I claim it as an LTF.