Took something, Left nothing

Double-dbs

As a relatively new cacher, I have a question. In a recently found cache, I found an item which I

really would have liked to keep, but I had forgotten to bring any trade items. Therefore I

felt wrong in taking the item I wanted, so I only signed the log.

Would it have been OK to take the trinket I wanted?

As a relatively new cacher, I have a question. In a recently found cache, I found an item which I

really would have liked to keep, but I had forgotten to bring any trade items. Therefore I

Nope. You did the right thing by leaving it behind. You can always go back later with something to trade, if you want!

Money is an acceptable trade if you have nothing else to leave.

As for taking it without leaving anything, I think that would depend on the value of the object taken, I would not feel right taking something of value for nothing, but if it was convienent enough I might take it and return later with a replacement.

If it was one of my caches and there was an item in it that you really wanted that would make you happy, I would have absolutely no problem in you taking it, even if you didn't leave anything. If you got enjoyment out of the item and had a positive experience, then that is more than a fair trade.

I'll admit that sometimes if there is an item one of us wants and don't have a trade item with us, or it won't fit in the cache, then we'll just leave our trade in the next cache we visit later that day. In the end it all comes out the same.

I'd say you did the right thing. Head on back out there tomorrow and trade. I keep my GPSr in my "Swag Bag" filled with little toys and whatnot, for just such an occasion. I ususlly leave something w/o taking tho because I have a lot of crap from over the years...So, anyway. you did the right thing. Happy caching!

--MGb

I have often forgot the bag in the car and left cash as a trade (usually $1 bills). I would have taken the item and returned later to replace it with a as good or better item. I once went to a cache and found a 1 ounce silver coin in it. I traded very unevenly for it as I thought it was a fake trinket. When I got home I realized it's value and headed back to the cache to trade evenly by adding a much better item.

Granted I have traded down on occasion as well, but every situation is different...how much other stuff was in the cache? Was all of it trash save for the item you took? Every situation is different. I think if you honestly try to trade evenly 99% of the time you are doing OK.

Edited by Lostby7

I usually don't trade unless I have my kids with me, but on occasion I do run across something really cool.. If I don't have anything to trade, I'll usually drop a dollar bill in the cache.

I think it's okay to take something and leave nothing if the following are true:

- It's a travel bug

- It's inappropriate (garbage/food, etc.)

- It's dangerous

Otherwise I think equal or better trades is a good rule to follow.

B)

I usually don't trade unless I have my kids with me, but on occasion I do run across something really cool.. If I don't have anything to trade, I'll usually drop a dollar bill in the cache.

I think it's okay to take something and leave nothing if the following are true:

- It's a travel bug

- It's inappropriate (garbage/food, etc.)

- It's dangerous

Otherwise I think equal or better trades is a good rule to follow.

- It's inappropriate (garbage/food, etc.) Like a unused Condom / Bic Lighter (like I found in one cache)....what was those cachers thinking when placing these things B) ??

- It's dangerous- like pocket knifes and loose sewing needles...uggh..do people (cachers) have a moment of

Dunt-DaDah :) ! when they place these things in a cache...just my opinon: knifes and needles don't have a place in a geocache what so ever B)

put you did the right thing.

Edited by Capt Biggins

This is done in both directions all the time. Take something/leave nothing or take nothing/leave something. I wouldn't worry about it. I've seen logs both ways.

I wish people would start taking without leaving from one of my caches. "Empty lot, full cache" It gets so ofull of crap every few weeks I have to go take stuff out of it. Most is just crappy stuff too. Cach would be nice. hehehe. So if anyone wants some stuff without leaving anything, come see me!

Ty

I'll bet most people have done that at one time or another. I've found caches so full that sometimes I can't get everything back into it and I'll have to take something and leave nothing. If I don't have enough to trade I will trade down then leave more the next time I go out so to "create balance in the universe". I also wonder about those things that are of greater value rusting and wearing out in a cache because no one wants to trade up for them.

You should trade even or trade up. I think the most important thing is to leave the cache in good condition like you would like to find it.

OK, new one for ya. In our area, it seems popular for people to put in a sticker of a little ribbon with there team name on it.

My 5 year old son is very fond of these little ribbons. Today I let him take 2 of them, but now I am wondering if I should of left em..... what do you guys think?

P.S. we normally don't take anything, and if we do, we leave something equal or better. sometimes we just leave stuff.

i was in your boat once and i really wanted a custom button left behind by a player. however i had nothing to trade so i had to go with my morals and leave it behind. it was tough but i made it. o well i learned my lesson. always have something to trade.

This was someone's sig item? Do we need to trade for those? <_<

I wouldn't make a habit of it, but 'zen caching' is better than 'angst caching'! You can't enjoy the game if you are worried about every move and what folks will think of you for it!

If you find something you really want and don't have a trade, take it and make it up on the next cache - leave something nice or leave two things, whatever balances... especially if you can find a cache by the same owner.

I have done that on occassion, maybe 5 times in ~2k caches. As long as you don't make a habit of it you should be fine.

Surely you could have found a rock or a nice pretty leaf around to trade for.

Ok, I'm kidding, but I have seen it done...

Is that really why I've seen small rocks in caches?

I sometimes wonder if they aren't put there by muggles (not cachers) who found the cache, read the insert about caching and taking something and leaving something and so that's what they do.

another thing with leaving money

http://www.whereswilly.com/

http://www.wheresgeorge.com/

it's trackable :(

Rules for using Where's George? with Geocaching

Once any bill has been found in a Geocache, it is marked as such on this site and is removed from the summarizations and other Top 10 reports found on this site. Once a bill is tagged as a "Geocache Bill", it will not be untagged as such, even if it is returned to normal circulation.

it's trackable :D

Once any bill has been found in a Geocache, it is marked as such on this site and is removed from the summarizations and other Top 10 reports found on this site. Once a bill is tagged as a "Geocache Bill", it will not be untagged as such, even if it is returned to normal circulation.

the rules have changed since I last played this game thanks for the info :(

it's trackable :o

the rules have changed since I last played this game thanks for the info :o

But I still plan on leaving one of my bills someday! I just want to see where it will go!