Dropping multiple TBs on a Mac

Bambography

For the first time I have just attempted to drop several TBs into a cache. Since I use a Mac and the TBs do not happen to be listed on the log page together I tried to use the ctrl key to select them throughout the list. Sadly on the Mac ctrl does the equivalent of the right-click on a PC.This makes it impossible (to my knowledge) to select items that are not consecutive in a list. :wub:

Therefore i'd like to request TPTB to make a small change to the log page in terms of dropping trackables.

If the page could be altered so instead of selecting items in a list a series of check-boxes were given. Therefore to drop a TB you just check the relevant box/boxes. This would make the site more usable without making a huge change or being confusing to users.

What is everyones thoughts on this?? ( :( I don't want to open the whole Mac vs PC can of worms here!!)

:( Hoorah! Been using a Mac for 8 years and never knew that!! (not really sure why I never tried it either!)

You learn something new every day!! Cheers guys.

The checkbox is an interesting way to go about doing it though. It makes the dropoff options more obvious.

I'll give this some thought. Neat idea!

You already have given it some thought... at wap.geocaching.com :D

It'd also score a handicapped-accessible point for the site (only one hand required).

One minor disadvantage I can see is that if you're holding 50 TBs, the list will take up a lot of space (but it is at the bottom of the page). But there again, when dropping off say 6 out of 50 TBs with the present system, it's a non-trivial matter to click, scroll, ctrl/click, scroll, ctrl/click, etc. When I do something similar with, say, a Windows directory listing (picking 6 files out of many), I often forget the ctrl on the last click and have to start over.

You already have given it some thought... at wap.geocaching.com <_<

It'd also score a handicapped-accessible point for the site (only one hand required).

One minor disadvantage I can see is that if you're holding 50 TBs, the list will take up a lot of space (but it is at the bottom of the page). But there again, when dropping off say 6 out of 50 TBs with the present system, it's a non-trivial matter to click, scroll, ctrl/click, scroll, ctrl/click, etc. When I do something similar with, say, a Windows directory listing (picking 6 files out of many), I often forget the ctrl on the last click and have to start over.

I'm with you on that one!!

It'd be great to see the check boxes!! I think it'll be so much clearer, thanks for looking into it Jeremy!

One minor disadvantage I can see is that if you're holding 50 TBs, ...

That seems like a major advantage to me. Why would anyone hold onto 50 TBs? TBs are supposed to move not be held onto. Perhaps it would encourage those selfish people who hoard TBs to do what they are supposed to with them.

If you were to say "but this includes all my own TBs/geocoins" then there are various ways to avoid getting irritated by the long listing such as marking them as being in an unknown location or dropping them into your own, not yet approved, cache that you keep for exactly that purpose.

That seems like a major advantage to me. Why would anyone hold onto 50 TBs? TBs are supposed to move not be held onto. Perhaps it would encourage those selfish people who hoard TBs to do what they are supposed to with them.

I agree. But I long ago learned that software which is designed to cope well even with the silly cases, works better with the normal cases. (And I bet there are plenty of people with 50 trackables. I know people zho own 50 geocoins and they seem to bring a lot of them to events as "discover-only" items.)

In general, most drop-down lists on Web pages can be replaced with radio buttons (for single-select dropdowns) or checkboxes (for multi-select dropdowns). One reason to prefer a dropdown is to save (vertical) screen space, when you can't know in advance how long the list will be. But when it's the last thing on the page, as here (well, apart from the all-important copyright notice :)), even that doesn't matter.

Or the SHIFT key to select all between 1st and last desired.

That's the same on both Mac and PC, but on the Mac you can't hold the control key to select individual items on the list, which was the reason for the original post. The instructions on a cache page for dropping multiple TBs suggest using the control key: "If you dropped off more than one, hold Ctrl down and click on each bug to drop off."

:)