A question for those who have made coins?

Team JSAM

I have been reading more and more on the process of making a coin at the factory and see that the most commen base metals are Iron, Bronze and Copper. My question is what is the best choice and why?

Thanks,

Jake

Bronze is best. It's nonferrous and relatively inexpensive but has weight and makes a comforting sound when it hits an ammocan.

Iron is ferrous and would stick to anything magnetic in the cache causing chips and scratches.

Copper is expensive and would drive the cost up.

prices for these metals are..

Iron, about $.21 per pound

Bronze, about $1.50 per pound

Copper, about $3.75 per pound

Here is information I received from a mint when Isked what base metal was in the coins they were making.

...zinc alloy metal, because the brass cost is very high.

Any issues with this as the base metal?

I'm confused....

Brass is a zinc/copper alloy. What metals do they use in your "zinc alloy metal"

Here is information I received from a mint when Isked what base metal was in the coins they were making.

It is very light weight. I don't like the feel of them.

Yes all the coins that I have/had that I know are/were zinc all felt very light almost plasticy (new word) I like the bronze because it feels like you have something that has actual value. Bottom line zinc may be cheaper but it feels its price. Thats just my opinion. :(

I'm confused....

Brass is a zinc/copper alloy. What metals do they use in your "zinc alloy metal"

I haven't made any coins from this mint. Just looking into it. I have questions to my current mint as far as the base metal. They seam heavy and nice. Got a response from my current minter. One of my coins base metal is zinc alloy and the other is copper. I will have to look closely when I get home. They both seem very nice.

Edited by Atwell Family

I have been reading more and more on the process of making a coin at the factory and see that the most commen base metals are Iron, Bronze and Copper. My question is what is the best choice and why?

Thanks,

Jake

Bronze is best. It's nonferrous and relatively inexpensive but has weight and makes a comforting sound when it hits an ammocan.

Iron is ferrous and would stick to anything magnetic in the cache causing chips and scratches.

Copper is expensive and would drive the cost up.

prices for these metals are..

Iron, about $.21 per pound

Bronze, about $1.50 per pound

Copper, about $3.75 per pound

What is the price for zinc alloy or depends on the mixture?

It's been pointed out that the real answer is "It depends".

In coins that we normal geocachers can afford it's Bronze. It's got the balance of durability, hardness, and inerntess - to and extent. It's not going to survive well in a shipwreck or a cache that's lost for 2000 years and found by archaeologists.

If you want the coin to last forever but it's going to be stored and cared for...Gold. It's the most inert metal. Just soft. This is the coin that they will dig up in 2000 years and find it intact.

The best balance of durability, hardness etc. is likely Cupro-Nickel. But the odds of being able to afford having coin made in this is low. Not unless you are someone like the US mint.

Aluminum lasts well, but it's not very hard. You will be it up quickly if you actually stick it in your pocket and wait for a good cache to drop it in. It doesn't stop some countries from using it.

Try a google on "coin Metals" and there are a couple of good pages that turn up.

The three main metals used for most Geocoins and Challenge coins are:

Brass: most expensive, nice weight, smooth edges, Very good detail in 3-D.

Iron: least expensive, nice weight, rougher edges, less detail in 3-D.

Zinc alloy: middle of the road for expense, there are two different alloy's we use to manufacture (one is equal in weight to Iron and the other is significantly lighter, Very good 3-D detail because it is a liquid poured into a mold.

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions feel free to e-mail me directly.

Edited by CacheHunters42

In coins that we normal geocachers can afford it's Bronze. It's got the balance of durability, hardness, and inerntess - to and extent. It's not going to survive well in a shipwreck or a cache that's lost for 2000 years and found by archaeologists.

Hey - not to split hairs or anything - but I have several bronze coins in my collection that are over 1000 years old, and they don't look too shabby! Bronze holds up extremely well - even underwater (yes - it may be pitted and corroded after a few thousand years underwater - but it would be there!). In fact - modern silica alloy bronze holds up a lot better than the lead-alloy bronze of ancient times.

As far as copper goes - it is a rather soft metal (not as bad as gold - but still a tad soft). That's why it is commonly mixed with other metals to make bronze or brass.

Silver is a great metal for coins - but the problem with minting in precious metals (becides the price) is they commonly get melted down in later years to cast into other things (ingots, jewelry, what have you). Hence the rarity of ancient gold (and to a lesser extent) silver coins.

and that is my (copper plated zinc) 2 cents!

Tiki B)