How do you rate your 60 csx

Pxtyson

I have read every thread i could find on this model and it seems there are many issues with it.

Whether it is user error or just bugs in the software.

I have a feeling its the way of the man not to read the instruction book that could cause a few problems LOL. We know men dont like asking for directions and that is the whole point of owning a gps so we have one flaw fixed at least.

What do you like

what dont you like about this model

If you could change something what would it be?

Edited by Pxtyson

I have read every thread i could fin on this model and it seems there are many issues with it.

Whether it is user error or just bugs in the software. I have a feeling its the way of the man not to read the instruction book LOL

What do you like

what dont you like about this model

I love mine! I wouldn't change anything except maybe longer battery life.

I've had mine for about a month. I have City Navigator 8 for driving and use it straight up for geocaching. It is awesome for both. It aquires sats faster than my old Sportrak Pro and is more accurate getting me to the cache. Totally recommended as long you plan to purchase extra maps and a new sd card.

The basemaps don't cut it.

I love mine. I was previously using a Quest 2, and there's no comparison when it comes to performance for caching. I'd like to be able to set the orientation (i.e. uisng it sideways instead of upright when in the car). If I could do that, I'd get a mount for it for my work truck and use it for autorouting and just leave the Q2 in my personal truck.

Here is my list of suggestions I put together awhile ago.

1. A real geocaching mode. The current one is a complete waste.
  2. How about fixing the last 5 custom symbols on the 60 series so they can be assigned to waypoints?
  3. A one-button push (and hold) to toggle maps (from City Navigator to Topo and back).
  4. A one-button push (and hold) to turn off/on the data fields on the screen. I typically have 4 fields displayed on the map when driving, but then if I actually want to scroll around the map, I need to turn them off (Or else I'm stuck with this little itsy-bitsy-teeny-wheeny map).
  5. Have waypoints stored on SD card (so the number is only limited by the size of the card). POIs just don't cut it for geocaching (for me).
  6. Upping the number of characters in the name/note for waypoints. The POI limits are much more reasonable.
  7. Some kindof internal memory for the compass so I don't have to remember to calibrate it everytime I change the batteries.
  8. Customized order for the "find" menu. Right now I can only order it by "autoorder" which is ordered by the most recently used, or the default order....neither of which I like. I'd like to order it as waypoints, custom POI, Food, Gas, Exits...etc, and have it always show up that way.
  9. A better warning system for upcoming turns...I'd like it to beep 2 or 3 seconds earlier than it does now.

With all of that said, it's still a great unit.

Edited by ThePropers

Out of curiosity, have you let Garmin know of your suggestions? I've e-mailed them before with a coupe of my suggestions for both the 60csx and the Quest2. The say they are forwarded off to the appropriate places. Perhaps if Garmin gets enough of the same suggestions, They'll work it into a firmware update or into the next model.

I've had mine for about a month. I have City Navigator 8 for driving and use it straight up for geocaching. It is awesome for both. It aquires sats faster than my old Sportrak Pro and is more accurate getting me to the cache. Totally recommended as long you plan to purchase extra maps and a new sd card.

The basemaps don't cut it.

Just like BHTM, I upgraded from 3 years of using the Sportrak Pro and not knocking the Sportrak but this 60csx is a cachers dream. With Navigator V8, it'll take you to the parking spot turn for turn then off into the woods with a few button taps. If you added Topo which I have yet to do, you'll be unstoppable. The dedicated geocaching features make things that much easier in the field and logging at home. I'm never going back. :(

I like the fast acquisition and ability to hold a lock. I also like the way it draws power and auto-lights the backlight when plugged into USB.

Now if they could just make it look more like my etrex VentureCX... :(

Seriously, I started caching with a 60CS about 18 months ago. Since then I have upgraded to a 60CSx and also bought a VentureCX as a backup and for the kids when caching. I find I am using the VentureCX more and more because:

- It is smaller and lighter. (It fits in a cell phone case.)

- Turn alerts are loud enough to be heard in a moving automobile.

- Much easier to get into and out of the RAM mount cradle. (There is a topic thread dedicated to informing people how to file down the 60 series RAM cradle so you can get your GPSr in and out.)

- The lanyard attachment is at the bottom of the GPSr and the lanyard is long enough to slip over my head. I can just let it hang when I have a longer walk to a cache site while still being able to grab quick glances at it. the 60 series attachment is on the side and hangs awkwardly even if you get a lanyard long enough.

- The thumb stick on the VentureCX, while awkward and annoying at first, is actually faster than the rocker button on the 60 series once you get used to it.

- The back of the VentureCX is flat and rubberized. It doesn't tend to roll when you set it down on a round log (or fallen tree). The 60 series has a rounded back.

- I don't get psyched out by an un-calibrated compass with the VentrueCX.

Add the above features to the fact that:

- I find (or fail to find) just as many caches with the VentureCX as the 60CSx.

- After using both I am beginning to question whether the 60CSx is really that much more accurate under tree cover, even when it claims to have a stronger lock.

The 60CSx is a great unit and has some "nice to have" features, such as drawing power through a USB cable and automatically turning the backlight on when plugged in to USB, but considering the cost difference, if I was buying my first handheld today I'd buy by 2 VentureCX's instead of 1 60CSx.

The 60CSx has some quirks, but all GPSr's do. There is no perfect unit, but as far as I'm concerned the 60Csx is as close as we have for now. It won't lose a signal under tree cover - and often holds a signal inside 1 or 2 story buildings. It's pretty easy to learn and use. It's got a USB connection for speed as well as a serial connection for compatibility -- and both of them can supply power to the unit. It doesn't like brand new lithiumm batteries, but it will swallow them after you burn them in a flashlight for a couple minutes. It's decent, although not super on battery power. (about 18-20 hours average with alkalines)

It does auto routing well, although not perfectly. Always gets me where I'm going, eventually. Usually with the best route, but not 100% of the time.

Included 64 MB memory card is way too small, but only $25 or so to upgrade to 1GB, so not a big deal.

Maps are expensive, and the basemap is worthless. But at least up-to-date maps are available.

Yup, it's not perfect, but IMHO it's the best unit out there at the moment. Glad to own one.