Diabetes TB--can't log

Team Mollymommy & ToyBoy

I have a tacking number on my diabetes T.B. but but no activation code came with it. How do I register it in my name so I can track it? Is there a universal activation code I've over looked.

Just go to the bug page, select Found It? Log it!

Select log type "grab"

entering tracking number, note, submit.

This will put the bug into your inventory.

That's it!

I have a tacking number on my diabetes T.B. but but no activation code came with it. How do I register it in my name so I can track it? Is there a universal activation code I've over looked.

Select log type "grab"

That's it!

Sorry to be so thick here but there is no "bug page" as yet. I just rec'd the diabetes bug today in the mail and unlike other bugs I have used, there was no activation code with it. What am I missing?

Select log type "grab"

That's it!

This is what I get when I try to search usingthe tracking number on teh bug:

"Trackable Item Details

The Travel Bug you requested does not exist in the system"

Select log type "grab"

That's it!

This is what I get when I try to search usingthe tracking number on teh bug:

"Trackable Item Details

The Travel Bug you requested does not exist in the system"

There must be a kink in the works...all of them should be coming pre-activated, so you don't need the activation code.

They should all be owned by the Unite for Diabetes caching account.

Once you log your tag, go back to it's main page, and add that one to your watchlist so you can follow it's travels.

In addition, you may find it fun to go to the Unite for Diabetes user account, click the list of trackables owned, and use the search feature to find tags destined for cities in your area. Add those to your watchlist so you know when they get close enough for you to help them complete their goals.

I hope that helps some...

I have tried the things suggested and the page still says I need an activation code to start the bug. Now what?

They are all activated so it's a matter of getting the tracking number to work.

Your choices are to let me try the number (I will not grab or log the TB, a simple look up will validate the number) Send me an email.

Have Eartha try the number. (She will not grab or log the TB, a simple look up will validate the number) Send her an email.

Or send an email to contact@geocaching.com.

I just got this in the mail, so I want to make sure that it's activated, or if I even need to do that. My wife opened the package and said all that was in there was the TB. Do I need a code or do I even need to activate this or just send it on it's way?

It has already been activated. You just need to "grab" it from the owner.

I would also suggest virtually "dropping & grabbing" it from the cache nearest your home to establish a starting point to calculate it's mileage. I have a cache about 1.5 miles from my house, so I posted a note to that cache stating I was just dropping & grabbing a TB there to start it's mileage.

If you don't do that, the mileage will start wherever you eventually drop it, which could be miles from your home.

Virtually dropping is a no-no. Try to only log bugs through caches they have actually visited.

Really? Why is it frowned upon? I didn't know that. I picked up that practice from reading this forum somewhere. I don't remember where though.

In practice, it makes sense, so I wonder why we aren't supposed to do it. The travel bug (any new TB or coin that I would be starting on a journey, really) would be starting it's journey from my house. If the nearest cache that I have not found yet is (for the purposes of my argument) 100 miles away. I (and the TB or coin) traveled 100 miles to get to it. Why shouldn't that 100 miles count in the coin or TB's mileage? I'd accept that if I didn't have to pay for that 100 miles of gas! :(

I guess since it the cache I use is only a mile or so from my house, and right off the road, I will just drive up to it and then the virtual becomes real.

There is nothing wrong with starting a bug out locally and then moving it 100 miles. All my TBs start near my house even if I when mail it oversea.

Virtual logging will get your bug locked down. Now some may think that Jeremy meant bugs that are moved through caches around the world in one day, but it's not a good idea to start interpreting what he meant. I've seen them locked without having moved very far at all.

If the bug didn't visit, don't log it.

There is nothing wrong with starting a bug out locally and then moving it 100 miles. All my TBs start near my house even if I when mail it oversea.

Virtual logging will get your bug locked down. Now some may think that Jeremy meant bugs that are moved through caches around the world in one day, but it's not a good idea to start interpreting what he meant. I've seen them locked without having moved very far at all.

If the bug didn't visit, don't log it.

First of all, sorry to the OP for hijacking your thread. :( At least it should be a learning experience for you!

Now to BlueDeuce... Thanks for the clarification. I will change my methods.

So, how do you start all your TBs near your house them. Just by going to a cache and saying you dropped and picked it up there?

I thought that mailing a TB somewhere was a no no. The TB is not actually traveling from cache to cache that way, so it is getting false mileage. I don't see where that is any better than a virtual drop & grab.

I have a cache nearby that I own. I just do a quick little maintenance run and take the TBs with me.

As an owner I can start my bug where I wish. I wanted my bug to travel Europe to that's where I sent it. The bug did go from cache to cache, it's just the mode of travel that changed. My bug really did go from here to there. Virtual logging is fake travel.

Another time I wanted my bug to stop traveling so I asked a finder to mail it back to me. All legal.

I've emailed the contact address and sent an email to the "bug owner" through the profile and no response yet so I'm posting here....

I received my UFD TB and the tracking number is what I'll call "double stamped". The "UN" prefix is fine, but the rest of the characters are a jumble. I believe I have figured out the correct code and the TB associated with that code has not been grabbed by anyone yet.

Can anyone at Groundspeak tell me if the TB that was sent to me is the one I think it is? Is this one toast? If so, can a replacement be sent out? Let me know how you want to handle it.

Thanks,

SQ

Edit to fix numerous finger-checks.

Edited by Semper Questio

I have a cache nearby that I own. I just do a quick little maintenance run and take the TBs with me.

As an owner I can start my bug where I wish. I wanted my bug to travel Europe to that's where I sent it. The bug did go from cache to cache, it's just the mode of travel that changed. My bug really did go from here to there. Virtual logging is fake travel.

Another time I wanted my bug to stop traveling so I asked a finder to mail it back to me. All legal.

Ok, I understand! Thanks again for the clarification. :(

Does anyone know how to activate the Diabetes TBs? I try on the regular link and it tells me I HAVE to have the activation code, but there isn't one anywhere on the TB. Someone below had asked the same question and somebody said they're already activated. Does that mean I have to go somewhere else to enter it into the system, where maybe already activated TBs get registered?

Does anyone know how to activate the Diabetes TBs? I try on the regular link and it tells me I HAVE to have the activation code, but there isn't one anywhere on the TB. Someone below had asked the same question and somebody said they're already activated. Does that mean I have to go somewhere else to enter it into the system, where maybe already activated TBs get registered?
It's already activated. You just need to log that you grabbed it! B)

The United For Diabetes TBs are already activated. You only need to grab it from its current location. If you are having trouble logging it, first make sure that the 0s are not Os and the Is are not 1s. If that doesn't work for you, send an email with both the tracking number on the tag, and the TB number on the page to contact@Groundspeak.com and put "U4D TB tracking# problem" as your subject line.

Just an update. I did contact the help site, and they are supposedly "submitting the bug for activation", no idea how long it will take. I even had to send a scanned picture of the bug, I suppose, to check that I wasn't misreading the serial code. But the letters are clear and unmistakeably what they are, so I guess I just got an unactivated one for some reason. I keep getting the page that says this bug is not in the system. Am I the only one? Maybe. Anyway..hopefully I'll get it registered soon. Thanks for all your comments.

Mollymommy

The United For Diabetes TBs are already activated. You only need to grab it from its current location. If you are having trouble logging it, first make sure that the 0s are not Os and the Is are not 1s. If that doesn't work for you, send an email with both the tracking number on the tag, and the TB number on the page to contact@Groundspeak.com and put "U4D TB tracking# problem" as your subject line.

Already activated? I answered about half the questions they were asking on the site to request a U4D-TB and quit. Smelled like someone building a charity mailing list, and I've been heavily educated to not answer those kind of questions on the internet. I wanted to support U4D, because I know diabetes too well and already support the cause, but will never complete this U4D request form. Now that I see that the TB is already activated, what is the point? If I can’t activate it, it will never be “my” TB. Makes me even more suspicious about those personal questions. Disappointing, as it would have made the best possible “first TB” for me. At 20,000 bugs, we will all be tired of them soon enough, anyway.

By the way: even the guys hammering out license plates as a “living” (or is that “for life”) know not to use the letters “I” and “O”, too confusing (yes, some states now are permitting them on vanity plates; for money they will tolerate the confusion they use to avoid).