Olympic Geocaching

Since geocaching is such a growing sport/activity, what would you think if it were made an olympic event. I think that it would be pretty sweet if they had to find certain caches from all over the world for the duration of the olympic games. it would be kind of like the amazing race only the friend/family teams would be the country teams. i think it would be pretty intresting. what are your thoughts.

I doubt geocaching would even make to the exibition stage of the Olympics.

I remember when aerobatic flying made it in one year. It was really great, but quite a stink was made over a motor sport being exhibited in the Olympics.

Geocaching needs a GPSr. It's a techno-sport if there is such a thing. I doubt it would be considered for that and many other reasons as well.

Wow, no.

I'm all for geocaching. But really I don't view it as a sport. A sport is something you win or lose, something you compete at.

The olympics were established a long long time ago to bring people together and compete for a few days. Sure you could make geocaching a competition and throw it into the Olympics, but you could also do the same for hot dog eating and World of Warcraft.

Whilst I think it would fall somewhere betwixt competitive knitting and team oil changing in popularity as an Olympic event, I think it would make for a kewl, local geo-event.

Yep! Texas is about to have its' fifth such event.

Here is this past year's challenge.

Most of the crazy gallery pics were part of the competition.

Including the walking on water competition:

ef92aa6e-ada1-4bf1-9fa7-26d71398c316.jpg

And the standing on water competition:

d7e31796-4a69-4308-b7f9-045352c58798.jpg

Edited by Snoogans

Whilst I think it would fall somewhere betwixt competitive knitting and team oil changing in popularity as an Olympic event, I think it would make for a kewl, local geo-event.

In fact it does!

A couple years ago I hosted an Amazing GeoRace in Alabama where teams started out in Huntsville and drove south 150 miles to end at an event dinner in Birmingham, collecting 50 caches along their route.

Some were team challenges, some individual challenges, and some roadblocks.

It was a real hit and has now been done in several states, most notably the annual GeoQuest in Tennessee.

Competitive caching can be great fun every now and then, but it will never be a basic practice in the game.

Ed

Uhh Geocaching isn't a competition!?

Oh yea. Well I have more smiley thingies than YOU. I win. :(:wub::wub::(:D:D:D

Yea well Geowoodstock is East Coast this year baby so you know what that means...POCKET CACHES!!!! Watch your numbers dwindle compared to mine. Most of that has to do with my superior skills of course. Although I would consider making you an alternate on the next Olympic squad.

I lived in Salt lake during the 2002 winter olympics and there was a large body of dorks that tried to make Bridge an olympic event. That's right bridge the card game. I fully embrace my own dorktitude as a geocacher but it is not a sport. Neither is Nascar or bowling. Both take talent but neither are sports. Golf is questionable at best. Fun game though. :( While we're on the topic how did poker ever make it on ESPN? So wrong.

I lived in Salt lake during the 2002 winter olympics and there was a large body of dorks that tried to make Bridge an olympic event. That's right bridge the card game. I fully embrace my own dorktitude as a geocacher but it is not a sport.

BRIDGE??? Come on. Get real. UNO I could see but certainly not bridge.

I remember Ski Orienteering applying to be a demo sport. They were turned down because there was no way to have TV coverage of people going all different directions! I am going to stop training right now.

Previous olympic medal sports have included motor boat racing, obstacle swim and rope climbing.