The Nevada Thread

Jeepstr

Looks like it's working now.

The hosting service has been upgrading servers so maybe there was a transitional problem. :(

Yeah! Now we can get back to planning for the Statewide geocacher gathering in Tonopah on the 20th of October. (Now, does that sound like a plug or what?)

:( How was the Tonapah Event? How many new caches there? We got distracted here and forgot to ask...sorry. Lots of workers from Nevada here on our mountain helping to restore order. Some are utility workers, and some are inmate fire crews helping to cut a fire break. Either way...thanks!

Edited by jahoadi and john

:( How was the Tonapah Event? How many new caches there? We got distracted here and forgot to ask...sorry. Lots of workers from Nevada here on our mountain helping to restore order. Some are utility workers, and some are inmate fire crews helping to cut a fire break. Either way...thanks!

The event was awesome!! 56 cachers showed up from all over the place - from Southern, Central, and Northern Nevada, plus sailscodgers from Sacramento and SoccarFanatics from Virginia!! There was even a local caching couple who stopped by for the setup but I didn't see them at the event. They generously donated a ton of Tonopah touristy swag.

A lot of people were able to finally put names with faces, and I heard over and over, "Oh, that's YOU?!?" The goal of the event was a huge success.

Dinner consisted of half a cow and full turkey dishes (actually steak and half of chicken-though the portions were huge!). My steak was excellent and I heard compliments around the room. The only hang up was the wind was so bad Saturday that Shaun kept having the coals in the Elk's BBQ blown out.

All these folks were treated Friday morning to approximately 17(?) caches placed Thursday afternoon and while the early birds had fun with those, Trekrr, 2-old, MM, b0neZ and myself spent all day (from 7am to near 11pm) placing the remaining caches. We introduced 66 new caches around 30 miles of Tonopah!!

The caches lead all around and through Tonopah - exploring dirt roads, remains of mining camps, desert oddities, and one in honor of a wild nighttime adventure-ish. Everyone who's logging enjoys the locations and the style of hides (though we did bring the SHM series down, plus the number of Bovine Barriers with caches increased substantially).

A great weekend and from the last day I've had people clammering for a repeat next year!

<snip>

:) How was the Tonapah Event? How many new caches there? We got distracted here and forgot to ask...sorry. Lots of workers from Nevada here on our mountain helping to restore order. Some are utility workers, and some are inmate fire crews helping to cut a fire break. Either way...thanks!

I think you'll have to show up at the next one so you can see for yourself! :)

Otherwise, I heard from a ferw folks that there are a lot of people that are coming in to help restore the infrastructure. I hope your place is doing OK and didn't suffer too much smoke damage.

<snip>

:blink: How was the Tonapah Event? How many new caches there? We got distracted here and forgot to ask...sorry. Lots of workers from Nevada here on our mountain helping to restore order. Some are utility workers, and some are inmate fire crews helping to cut a fire break. Either way...thanks!

I think you'll have to show up at the next one so you can see for yourself! :o

Otherwise, I heard from a ferw folks that there are a lot of people that are coming in to help restore the infrastructure. I hope your place is doing OK and didn't suffer too much smoke damage.

:ph34r: I (John of course!) just made a swing through Tonopah and found many of the caches you guys placed (yes, I DNFed a few too ;) ). Nice area. Ya'all did a very good job. If we make it an annual event, Jodi and I will try to attend. Our house isn't too smokey, so we really came out ok. Some others we know didn't.. including a prominent San Diego cacher who used to bring a keg to events.... :)

Edited by jahoadi and john
I'm still waiting to see those logs John, even if they are cut and paste.

Did you find "H Helium"? Did you get pics?

:D I'm about 150 caches behind in my logging. I haven't looged my finds from 26 Oct on except the DNFs and ones with trackables. I just cache (many miles to get to um) and work, no time for the administrative stuff. I'll try to catch up during Monday Night football tonight. :rolleyes: I don't think H Helium was one of my finds.

:D Yahoo!!! We got the DeLorme Challenge Final coords! Yahoo!

Yahoo!! Way to go you guys!!

John, when are you going to run out there to get that last cache?

:anibad: I'm going to try this week. It gets dark so soon right now... :)

Looking forward to completing the DeLorme Challenge Final coords with ya! Somebody has to drive![:anicute:]

B) Yahoo!!! We got the DeLorme Challenge Final coords! Yahoo!

:D I'm going to try this week. It gets dark so soon right now... :D

Looking forward to completing the DeLorme Challenge Final coords with ya! Somebody has to drive![ :) ]

:anicute: Oh no... You are NOT getting behind the wheel of my truck again! :anibad:

B)B)

B) Yahoo!!! We got the DeLorme Challenge Final coords! Yahoo!

:) I'm going to try this week. It gets dark so soon right now... :D

Looking forward to completing the DeLorme Challenge Final coords with ya! Somebody has to drive![ B) ]

:anibad: Oh no... You are NOT getting behind the wheel of my truck again! :D

B)B):anicute:B):D

For his Winter Break, kindergeek (a new cacher in every sense of the phrase) will be spending his time in Carson with his Dad and Grandfolks. Seeing as this youngin' has only a few finds under his belt and none of them an actual geocaching event - b0neZ and I are throwing a last minute, kick out the old year, and welcome in the new year in true Nevada style, event in Carson!

RoadRunner (bless his little feathered heart) just published the event: Kickin' it In Carson GC17Z2C

Come join us at Pizza Hut on Saturday, December 29th, beginning at noon. I hope that in between the stress of Christmas and New Year's Day you'll opt for some relaxing fun with your fellow cachers.

Happy holidays everyone, may the season bring you joy and good health and a prosperous new year!

For his Winter Break, kindergeek (a new cacher in every sense of the phrase) will be spending his time in Carson with his Dad and Grandfolks. Seeing as this youngin' has only a few finds under his belt and none of them an actual geocaching event - b0neZ and I are throwing a last minute, kick out the old year, and welcome in the new year in true Nevada style, event in Carson!

RoadRunner (bless his little feathered heart) just published the event: Kickin' it In Carson GC17Z2C

Come join us at Pizza Hut on Saturday, December 29th, beginning at noon. I hope that in between the stress of Christmas and New Year's Day you'll opt for some relaxing fun with your fellow cachers.

Happy holidays everyone, may the season bring you joy and good health and a prosperous new year!

:rolleyes: I'll be there tomorrow NevadaWolf and b0neZ !! Got back in town yesterday to the snow! I hope to see lots of other cachers there. B)

I just heard the news about the Levee Break in Fernley. Are any Geocachers affected? I sure hope everyone is okay . . .

There are only a handful of cachers from Fernley. I sure hope they are all ok too! The weather has been insane here the past couple of days. (1.5" of rain yesterday, which is crazy for here)We live about 25 miles west of Fernley, lots of small local flooding but nothing near that! The positive part is there have been no reported injuries or casualties so far!

Wow Karen, you keep up with things!! The first cacher who comes to mind is Nitro299. Also, a few of my sailors live there and I am now trying to find out if any are affected. The helicopter you see flying (the orange one) is a US Navy helo and is from Fallon. :o

hisgrace1 came to mind. They are the only ones I've ever met from Fernley. I've sent them an email, haven't gotten a response :laughing: But they also haven't been on GC.com in a while either. I have a muggle friend from work that lives pretty close to the damage, they are ok, she said it is pretty unbelievable on how much flooded. I'm really suprised the mortgage companies/homeowners insurance let them go without flood insurance. They said the majority of the homeowners didn't have it. We had to carry it for the first 10 years we lived here because we are so close to a flood plane. You would think they would make the same demands being so close to a levy. Of course we don't have earthquake insurance and I suppose the likelihood of that happening is about equal! :anicute:

Anyone know of a cache with a nice 3-4 mile hike? Really want to get out of the house for a while and go for an afternoon somewhere with a nice view.

This cold weather is irratating my bad knee a bit but I'll just take some Advil and slap a heat patch on it.

Sick of being stuck indoors! :) Want a nice hike where the ground won't be too muddy right now. Somewhere within an hour of Reno. Scenic views a big bonus! :D

Thanks!

Angie

Come on Teri! Where are you? :)

Well, the only caches/hikes I can think of are all snowed in at the moment. Along the Tahoe Rim Trail is where I usually went for the longer hikes. That's why I haven't replied.

Have you done Live and Let Die (Deadmans Creek) GCX31T yet?

I got 3.6 miles out of it, with a nice overlook of Washoe Lake and bits of Carson.

Dunno how the snow is since I haven't been up to Reno for awhile. I really need to get up there.

Or for a flat walk, come down to Carson and walk the blue line trail through the historic Comstock-era houses.

Have you done Live and Let Die (Deadmans Creek) GCX31T yet?

I got 3.6 miles out of it, with a nice overlook of Washoe Lake and bits of Carson.

Dunno how the snow is since I haven't been up to Reno for awhile. I really need to get up there.

Or for a flat walk, come down to Carson and walk the blue line trail through the historic Comstock-era houses.

Most but not all of the snow has melted. Don't know about Washoe Valley though. I'll just have to take a look and see. What snow is left isn't much so its not a big deal. The mud is my concern right now. I don't care about getting the shoes dirty, that's what they are for. I just don't want mud up to my ankles! I'm definitely interested in the Live and Let Die hike. Going to check that out now on the site.

How is the ground along the blue line trail? I have no idea where that is. Is there a cache near it that I can look up?

Thanks Teri!

:rolleyes:

Angie

How is the ground along the blue line trail? I have no idea where that is. Is there a cache near it that I can look up?

No cache specifically cause the main start points are either unaccessible to caches or have one too close not on the trail (Dash for the Cache and Stew-pendous are annoying in that aspect).

The Kit Carson trail is a walking tour of the historic Comstock-era homes. My favorite starting point is the Nevada State Museum simply due to the parking issue. They recommend starting at the Brewery Arts Center ("they" being the Visitor Center).

All you do is follow the blue line painted on the sidewalks all over the old town. There's about 35-40 stops depending if you walk downtown also.

You can get the map and the downloadable Podcast/MP3 files here

OK. Got it Teri! When you said blue 'trail' I took it literally! :D

Didn't realize its a walk in town. A friend of mine who lives out in Washoe Valley said it's not real good ground conditions for a hike there this weekend. I wanted something out of town so I'll go back and check out that bookmark list I found.

Please let me know if you come across any more of those good lists or caches.

Thanks!

Ang

New to this forum. I need to now if there are any small regional or city cache sites for northern Nevada. I would like to make one for, Dayton first, and then expand to Moundhouse, Virginia City, and Stagecoach. Any Ideas

Hello Rostropovich! Don't know of any regional sites with cache lists. You might be best off running pocket queries for those areas.

Anyone else know of a site like this??

Angie

New to this forum. I need to now if there are any small regional or city cache sites for northern Nevada. I would like to make one for, Dayton first, and then expand to Moundhouse, Virginia City, and Stagecoach. Any Ideas

Welcome to the forum!! Glad to see you've been putting out new caches in the Dayton area, two of which were placed a few days after me and b0neZ went 'exploring' out Dayton Valley Rd.

:) Just so I'm clear, what do you mean by "small regional or city cache sites"? I'm easily confused. :smile: But always willing to help!

Welcome to the forum!! Glad to see you've been putting out new caches in the Dayton area, two of which were placed a few days after me and b0neZ went 'exploring' out Dayton Valley Rd.

:smile: Just so I'm clear, what do you mean by "small regional or city cache sites"? I'm easily confused. :) But always willing to help!

"A small regional area or city wide cache site dealing with all cache sites. So it is referring to the size of area and not the cache size.

Edited by Rostropovich

"A small regional area or city wide cache site dealing with all cache sites. So it is referring to the size of area and not the cache size.

Um, nope, that's not what I was confused about. I'm puzzled by the phrase "cache site dealing with all cache sites".

Do you mean a website listing caches in towns/cities? - to my knowledge, there's no website for Nevada, aside from the mass national databases of gc.com, terracaching, navicaching, etc., etc.

Or do you mean a website for caching groups in Northern Nevada? - GBES (Great Basin and Eastern Sierra Geocachers) has a Yahoo Groups mailing list. Also NGA (Nevada Geocaching Association) has a forum. I don't know of any other groups in the state.

Or are you even talking about a website?

Edited by NevadaWolf

Hi, I am traveling in from Ohio to do some geocaching in the Vegas, CA, AZ and UT area. I will be in the area for four days. Can you all give me some neat, rental car accessible caches to go after? I am trying to hit a few in each state.

Thanks,

FyrMdc

Which days? You may also want to check on NevadaGeocaching.com.

Well, I was here earlier but missed you all. Told you I have crappy timing! :rolleyes:

Too much snow! I'm SICK OF IT!!!! They said this would end yesterday. They LIED! Yesterday they said it will end Friday. We'll see what they say on Friday.

I'm tired of being cold!!!! Why won't Ed McMahon just come pay me that long overdue visit and give me my check??? Then I could just go back to Jamaica and be out in the sun!!!!

Allright. Done ranting. Going to throw the clothes in the dryer and go to bed. Back to work in the morning.

What a life. :lol:

LOL!!

Hi, I am traveling in from Ohio to do some geocaching in the Vegas, CA, AZ and UT area. I will be in the area for four days. Can you all give me some neat, rental car accessible caches to go after? I am trying to hit a few in each state.

Thanks,

FyrMdc

Which days? You may also want to check on NevadaGeocaching.com.

I am flying in on 2/2 and leaving Vegas for Phoenix on 2/5.... I have a small rental car so I am looking for caches that I can get close to but will appreciate. I don't think that I am wanting to spend all day on just one cache unless it is truly "the one".

Thanks,

Dave