The Nevada Thread

Jeepstr

I was hoping to meet you folks at any of the 4 events that were happening this weekend. Perhaps you can make it to Tonopah in October? I hear rumors this event and it might go Mega.

:angry: If that M word get's anywhere near my event, you and I are going to be having a long discussion very soon on just how two people are going to pull off overrunning a town of only 2030 people.

Speaking of CharlyBaltmore - just before I called you for help on that <bleep> micro at Stage 1, I got a call from them asking for helping in locating an ammo can (turns out the can is gone).

When I asked where they were, they replied "Um... well, Oregon."

"Oregon?? I've only done two caches in Oregon."

"Yep, and we're at them."

CONGRATS TO CHARLYBALTIMORE FOR THEIR 400th FIND!!! AT THE ORIGINAL STASH TRIBUTE PLAQUE!!!

CharlyBaltimore.jpg

Edited by NevadaWolf

Hello everyone just a update on how us newbie are doing....we have been geocaching every chance we get...we have covered mostly the I-80 caches...boy those SOY caches are something else...we have been stumped now several times and are determined to find them so we keep going back...it has been awesome we went on the exit 22 hunt ...we had never been back there it was so beautifull..but spent over an hour looking for the one at long valley creek and found nothing...I fell on my kazoo...trying to get down under the bridge...That Byjer sure is good at hiding those things..will have to go try again...Nevada Wolf you are one dare devill...I've seen some of your pictures...painted rock never got found either so we are going to try and tackle those again this week-end...going to have to invest in some hiking boots...got any suggestions...and a walking stick of some kind....we are up to 45 now and loving every minute of it...sometimes I can understand the couples on The Amazing Race and how they get in disputes...we have had our share... :laughing: Hopefully some day will have to meet up ...whats is the tonapah thing....

Hello everyone just a update on how us newbie are doing....we have been geocaching every chance we get...we have covered mostly the I-80 caches...boy those SOY caches are something else...we have been stumped now several times and are determined to find them so we keep going back...it has been awesome we went on the exit 22 hunt ...we had never been back there it was so beautifull..but spent over an hour looking for the one at long valley creek and found nothing...I fell on my kazoo...trying to get down under the bridge...That Byjer sure is good at hiding those things..will have to go try again...Nevada Wolf you are one dare devill...I've seen some of your pictures...painted rock never got found either so we are going to try and tackle those again this week-end...going to have to invest in some hiking boots...got any suggestions...and a walking stick of some kind....we are up to 45 now and loving every minute of it...sometimes I can understand the couples on The Amazing Race and how they get in disputes...we have had our share... :rolleyes: Hopefully some day will have to meet up ...whats is the tonapah thing....

I love my profile/gallery! :laughing: I get soooo many comments on them.

The one under the bridge in Lockwood is tough, we ended up calling John on that one (he's a good lifeline!) before we were able to find it. Event then it took some creative reaching.

My boots are Nevados (from Big 5), solid leather and waterproof and run around $50-$60. Big and clunky at times, but have really good grip and lasted me a couple years before the tread wore down and the sole seperated from the shoe. Those boots helped me get the unofficial nickname of Gazelle from GeoJeepers and Mamma Gravy. Though I prefer Mountain Goat.

The Tonopah thing is going to be my Statewide Meet & Greet to give all Nevadans and our neighbors a chance to get together in one central location (since Reno and Vegas tend to be north / south heavy). It'll be Saturday, October 20th. The event page isn't listed yet as RoadRunner advised that *all* important information must be on the page from the get-go. So I've got a friend calling and finding out info on food for me. I hope to get it up by mid-July.

#*$@&! I am going to be one week too late. 10,000 has been found. As previously mentioned, this has been on my to do list as an FTF for quite a while and I won't be in Elko until this weekend. :o Oh well, there is still the STF! ;)

:D Sorry someone got it. At least I didn't beat you to it. Go for STF! I am going for two caches tomorrrow, both over 9900 feet and in two different mountain ranges. One will be an FTF try (GC13CX4 Saddle between the Twins) and the other has not been found since Jun 2004 (GCJG3F Mt. Augusta's Mile High Club). Wanna come?? 0600 start! :D

#*$@&! I am going to be one week too late. 10,000 has been found. As previously mentioned, this has been on my to do list as an FTF for quite a while and I won't be in Elko until this weekend. :laughing: Oh well, there is still the STF! :blink:

:laughing: Sorry someone got it. At least I didn't beat you to it. Go for STF! I am going for two caches tomorrrow, both over 9900 feet and in two different mountain ranges. One will be an FTF try (GC13CX4 Saddle between the Twins) and the other has not been found since Jun 2004 (GCJG3F Mt. Augusta's Mile High Club). Wanna come?? 0600 start! :laughing:

Thanks for the offer, John. If I leave now I might just make it in time, but if I'm not there, don't wait. :blink:

I don't know how many of you browse the other threads in this forum, but check this out.

Congratulations jahoadi and john on this most deserved honor.

Yea that's a cool card,I hope I am so lucky to have my own card.

Trying to contact John , Are you going to make the CITO/CAMPOUTin Oct? It is on the 27th and 28 at SKILLET'S place. Hope so.

Take care :rolleyes::lol:

I don't know how many of you browse the other threads in this forum, but check this out.

Congratulations jahoadi and john on this most deserved honor.

Yea that's a cool card,I hope I am so lucky to have my own card.

Trying to contact John , Are you going to make the CITO/CAMPOUTin Oct? It is on the 27th and 28 at SKILLET'S place. Hope so.

Take care :D:D

:o Thanks you for noticing about the card Mr. Don Coyote! It is a big honor. I believe we know who was behind it. I hope we can get our hands on one!.

Team Fatman, we don't know right now if either of us can make it to the CITO/campout in October. We really like camping in our tent out there and the kind of fun events that are put on out there. So this is a maybe! :(

Awesome card J&J! (Maybe they can make one for my Jeep?)

:angry: Thank you MM. It is quite an honor to be on a card. For a bit of history on the card series, look at the Yrium's Geocacher trading Cards thread. The last few pages have been talking about the history and about Yrium himself. There are some pictures of other cards. There are a few key people in San Diego who work very hard on the cards. There is always a race to pick up new cards as they are printed and released (just like an FTF race). You just don't t end up on a card, someone finds the nomination card in a cache (there is always a race for that too) and nominates a cacher or cache or an event or something else to be on a card. Then they work with the "key" people to get the card through the draft and final stages. This is a San Diego thing, but I recently found one of the cards in a cache here in Nevada (near Washoe lake). Jodi and I almost have a complete collection. :D

Success at last 10,000 is mine! We had a wonderful day in Lamoille Canyon. You can read about it here.

Why is it that the first four finders are all from outside Nevada? :laughing:

Course you folks from San Diego are secretly invading Nevada on a scouting mission for a California take-over? FTF hunts are just a cover. :blink:

Congratulations on the find, sounds like it was a beautiful hike - but, what? No pictures? :blink:

Success at last 10,000 is mine! We had a wonderful day in Lamoille Canyon. You can read about it here.

Why is it that the first four finders are all from outside Nevada? :anibad:

:P Congratulations, you did well Mr. Don Coyote! Nice log. Too bad that after all that waiting you couldn't be FTF...

It doesn't do him justice, but I took my inspiration from Yrium and his log entries.

Congratulations on the find, sounds like it was a beautiful hike - but, what? No pictures? :anibad:

My wife burned about half a gig-stick on pictures. They will be available once I return home.

The pictures have been posted. This is the first or lower Dollar Lake.

4cda1eac-c3db-45fd-87e9-6dcb80929e03.jpg

This is the second or upper Dollar Lake.

69aa35bf-4d89-4f7d-80e1-f0370723a062.jpg

And two views of Lamoille Lake, The first looking toward the snow at the end of the lake and the second looking across the lake in the opposite direction toward Lamoille Canyon.

d7406c08-b937-4942-b2bb-e2502032989c.jpg

1832064e-edd0-4885-be35-2e5bbfa910e4.jpg

There are more, but I'll leave them for another time.

Hot August nights starts this weekend right? What day is and where is the best place for me to go and see the old cars?? :laughing:

The hoards of people will start showing up this weekend. It usually starts really going about Weds. (8/8/07) Downtown Reno is horrible, you couldn't pay me to go down there! Especially after the tear gas incident of '98. Usually we go to Victorian Square in Sparks or the Peppermill or Atlantis to check out cars. All three places have plenty of stuff to do and see.

Hot August nights starts this weekend right? What day is and where is the best place for me to go and see the old cars?? :D

The hoards of people will start showing up this weekend. It usually starts really going about Weds. (8/8/07) Downtown Reno is horrible, you couldn't pay me to go down there! Especially after the tear gas incident of '98. Usually we go to Victorian Square in Sparks or the Peppermill or Atlantis to check out cars. All three places have plenty of stuff to do and see.

:( Thanks Lost, I won't try to go this weekend then. :D:DWolf, I may try to hike Mt. Rose Sunday. Got a cache starting point for me? :D

Edited by jahoadi and john

Hot August nights starts this weekend right? What day is and where is the best place for me to go and see the old cars?? ^_^

Registration starts Tuesday at what used to be the Hilton. From that point on, their parking lot is usually a great place to walk around and see cars. There is a pre-kickoff party this Sunday along Virgina Street that usually has a large turnout. Monday afternoon/evening is the official kickoff party out at the peppermill. If you want to watch cruising in a more comfortable relaxed setting, head for Sparks, not downtown. I'd steer clear of the Atlantis. Over the past 2-3 years, most of the trouble has been out in that area.

As for the tear gas incident of 98. I believe the police have learned from the shear stupidity that they demonstrated that year as we have seen nothing even close since that year.

Hot August nights starts this weekend right? What day is and where is the best place for me to go and see the old cars?? ^_^

Registration starts Tuesday at what used to be the Hilton. From that point on, their parking lot is usually a great place to walk around and see cars. There is a pre-kickoff party this Sunday along Virgina Street that usually has a large turnout. Monday afternoon/evening is the official kickoff party out at the peppermill. If you want to watch cruising in a more comfortable relaxed setting, head for Sparks, not downtown. I'd steer clear of the Atlantis. Over the past 2-3 years, most of the trouble has been out in that area.

As for the tear gas incident of 98. I believe the police have learned from the shear stupidity that they demonstrated that year as we have seen nothing even close since that year.

^_^ Thanks, looks like middle of the week will be good (and of courst next Saturday at the cache event.) I'll probably head for Sparks. I can always stop at geospyder's for a refreshment! :unsure:

Thanks, looks like middle of the week will be good (and of courst next Saturday at the cache event.) I'll probably head for Sparks. I can always stop at geospyder's for a refreshment! :unsure:

Always welcome for a cold beer. Never can tell what kind. This week I have a mix of Mexican beers - Tecate, Dos Equis Lager Especial, Dos Equis Amber and Del Sol. Is this a hint that I shop at Costco :blink:

Thanks, looks like middle of the week will be good (and of courst next Saturday at the cache event.) I'll probably head for Sparks. I can always stop at geospyder's for a refreshment! :laughing:

Always welcome for a cold beer. Never can tell what kind. This week I have a mix of Mexican beers - Tecate, Dos Equis Lager Especial, Dos Equis Amber and Del Sol. Is this a hint that I shop at Costco :D

Did someone say beer? :D

Mmmmmm......Beeeer! Yo quero Dos Equis! (yeah, my espanol sucketh!LOL)

If you guys want to meet up to look at cars some night after work, let me know!

Hard to believe that was 9 years ago! I don't know if they've really learned from it, I think they've just lucked out. We were actually at the Peppermill when it happened, they tear gassed us there too, which was completely unnecessary. The poor people in the car in front of us, as we were attempting to leave, dropped thier tranny right in the middle of the street. We were kind of stuck in the middle of it in an overheating '70 Mustang. Not one of our more fond HAN experiences. We usually go to the stuff during the week, we haven't been to any of the weekend cruises/events in probably 5-6 years. I heard on the news they were expecting between 500-700,000 people this next weekend. Crazy stuff!

Thanks, looks like middle of the week will be good (and of courst next Saturday at the cache event.) I'll probably head for Sparks. I can always stop at geospyder's for a refreshment! :blink:

Always welcome for a cold beer. Never can tell what kind. This week I have a mix of Mexican beers - Tecate, Dos Equis Lager Especial, Dos Equis Amber and Del Sol. Is this a hint that I shop at Costco :laughing:

Cost-co needs to start carrying Modelo.

Bump :huh:

;) This weekend (I think on Saturday the 15th) The GBES folks are getting 7 caches published. These caches are the lead in for the GBES poker run event cache (GC15BRD) that is on the 22nd in Reno. You get a different colored stone out of each cache and your seven stones help you get your poker hand at the event. Sounds like a great idea. B) I'm all in!

Edited by jahoadi and john

Bump :D

:rolleyes: This weekend (I think on Saturday the 15th) The GBES folks are getting 7 caches published. These caches are the lead in for the GBES poker run event cache (GC15BRD) that is on the 22nd in Reno. You get a different colored stone out of each cache and your seven stones help you get your poker hand at the event. Sounds like a great idea. :anitongue: I'm all in!

Wow! Haven't seen this thread in a while. Thanks for the mention John! I just placed my cache this evening for this. Wont be posted until Saturday though! No, I will not tell you where it is! :angry:

::Road Runner I did leave you a note not to post till Saturday!::

Bump :)

:) This weekend (I think on Saturday the 15th) The GBES folks are getting 7 caches published. These caches are the lead in for the GBES poker run event cache (GC15BRD) that is on the 22nd in Reno. You get a different colored stone out of each cache and your seven stones help you get your poker hand at the event. Sounds like a great idea. :D I'm all in!

Wow! Haven't seen this thread in a while. Thanks for the mention John! I just placed my cache this evening for this. Wont be posted until Saturday though! No, I will not tell you where it is! :P

::Road Runner I did leave you a note not to post till Saturday!::

:D Found all seven caches (FTF on one of them), now if I can only pull the correct cards at the4 event this Saturday!! :D

I have been having trouble with that site all day. I hope it returns before too long.

Hope is not a stratagy, what are ya doing about it?? :laughing: OBTW Are you going to be in town this weekend?

It was odd that NGA was having troubles and GC was going through upates on the same day.

And yes, I will be in town (i.e. home - Las Vegas). Are you going to be in the area?

I have been having trouble with that site all day. I hope it returns before too long.

Hope is not a stratagy, what are ya doing about it?? :laughing: OBTW Are you going to be in town this weekend?

It was odd that NGA was having troubles and GC was going through upates on the same day.

And yes, I will be in town (i.e. home - Las Vegas). Are you going to be in the area?

:yikes: Yup..any MM caches we NEED to get? John wants a few more quads checked off....

How about this MM cache. We can get the new and improved GJTB a new layer dirt and dust?

I have an appointment Saturday afternoon, Sunday and Monday are clear.

:sad: We will have a rent a car so we can't go where your awsome machine can go..... :sad: On Sunday we will probably be trying to drive all over getting some more Delorme challange quads, but Monday early would be good.. We will E mail you. :grin:

How about this MM cache. We can get the new and improved GJTB a new layer dirt and dust?

I have an appointment Saturday afternoon, Sunday and Monday are clear.

:sad: We will have a rent a car so we can't go where your awsome machine can go..... :sad: On Sunday we will probably be trying to drive all over getting some more Delorme challange quads, but Monday early would be good.. We will E mail you. :grin:

Snagging quads is also a good option, especially if you want something more than a drive by.