Maybe We Should Start Calling Them Discover Bugs

Thot

For the first time yesterday somebody "discovered" one of my bugs. It was the first I'd heard of it. Apparently you can go to a bug hotel and get the numbers of 15-20 bugs and officially "discover" them. And after Jeremy outlawed virtual moves.

Here all along I thought the idea was to "travel."

I'm thinking of creating a "do nothing" bug. I'll keep it here on my computer table and log it as "doing nothing" every hour or so.

Discover bugs -- strange

For the first time yesterday somebody "discovered" one of my bugs. It was the first I'd heard of it. Apparently you can go to a bug hotel and get the numbers of 15-20 bugs and officially "discover" them. And after Jeremy outlawed virtual moves.

Here all along I thought the idea was to "travel."

I'm thinking of creating a "do nothing" bug. I'll keep it here on my computer table and log it as "doing nothing" every hour or so.

Discover bugs -- strange

Thank you Thot. I was beginning to think no one was going to say something that would give me my smug superior feeling for today. I would have gone to bed all cross. :)

G'day

I state on all my geocoin pages that discover logs are not allowed and I will delete them. When they pop up (not that often) I email the cacher and explain to them my policy and ask them nicely to remove the log or have me do it. Whichever suits. So far no real hassle over the request.

One cacher thought I was being a bit harsh. I just explained that I release my coins to travel and that if the team wanted the icon all they had to do was move the coin on to a new cache. Quite simple really. Got no response so far but the discover log has been removed.

Regards

Andrew

The discover option was put there so people could log bugs without having to drop and retrieve a nig, if they just wanted to log it. It helps the cache owner and TB owner know that the bug is still in the cache, and it helps when two people both would like to log a bug but only one can. It does make for a lot of unwanted (and most often boring) emails when your travel bug goes to an event. But it saves people from having to email someone when they grab the bug to just log it and never place it back in the cache.

The discover option was put there so people could log bugs without having to drop and retrieve a nig, if they just wanted to log it. It helps the cache owner and TB owner know that the bug is still in the cache, and it helps when two people both would like to log a bug but only one can.

I can understand that but I haven't seen such a discover log on any or my coins or bugs or the ones I watch. All the discover logs I have seen are either at events (where I personally don't want my coins anyway) or when the coin or bug is already in the hands of a cacher. Seems to me, from what I have observed as being just icon collecting.

My experience suggest that they are used to "get an icon," at least with the coins, but maybe others experience is different as you suggest.

Andrew

Edited by Aushiker

I've discovered a few TBs...some at events (the "discover only" TBs placed on the tables) sometimes while caching!! If the TB has a mission to go places that I'm NOT going, I'll discover it and leave it for the next cacher to help along...I shouldn't be penalized for being considerate to both the TB parent and the next cacher!!

Sometimes I have distributed all the TBs I had for trading with (yes, I know a lot of you think that the 'trade even" rule doesn't exist for TBs...I like to as it is just rude to take every TB out of an area if you've nothing to give back...I wouldn't want it done to me, I won't do it to others...this doesn't mean that if you don't have a TB, you can't trade...take one if you want..NOT all of them) so I'll dicover a TB and let another cacher enjoy finding it. I'd much rather be a considerate cacher than a TB hog!!

I do a lot of TB moving (#37 on the Larobley top 50 list), I've been out TB hunting many times and have come across caches that are supposed to be full of TBs, only to find that a previous cacher just visited and wiped out everything without leaving a single TB behind as trade. These may not be trade items to many of you, but the "trade fair" rule SHOULD be in place for TBs too!!

As for the icon collecting...that's wrong if that's what you're doing, but there have been instances while TB hunting with a friend that I was there to pick up the TB, but when we got home, I didn't get the opportunity to actually HAVE the TB in my inventory...i.e. we go out (a friend and myself TB hunting), find a large assortment of TBs (and replace them trading fairly). She goes home and logs them all, I wait for her to "drop" them into a cache so I can "grab" them up. SOMETIMES, there is another trade set up BEFORE I can get them in my inventory, so I might discover them (I was there to get them , I should be allowed to log them too) so they are still in her inventory for the next trade!! In that instance...it might LOOK as if we are SWAPPING TB numbers, but in reality WE AREN'T.

We shouldn't be penalized for this!!

There are a few reasons for the discovery option...and sometimes it is needed to be used...we SHOULDN'T have our logs deleted for this...it IS allowed!!

I have to say I really don't see the problem with "discovering" a travel bug. So it may give the owner a boring email and not move the bug along, but so what? I can understand some people not wanting there coins or bugs at events but once you release a bug or coin to the wild all bets are off as to what you want it to do. I would much rather have my bugs "discovered" once in a while so at least I know they are still out there some place. Seeing that "discovering" I cant see what all the fuss is. I don't think you should delete a discovered log just because you don't like that feature. If you really don't want any of your coins or bugs "discovered" don't release them, that way you will have total control over what happens to them.

There are some instances that "discovering" is a bad thing!! I worked at the TB tables at the '06 Geobash, a person was walking around all the tables "writing down TB numbers". That's NOT the intent of discovery!! I would NEVER discover a TB just because I saw it at an event or something like that (unless that's the TBs mission...to be discovered at events), but there are instances that discovery is the best way to go!!

edit to add...Aushiker...that's a slippery slope you're on!! This is the very rule that Tommy Trojan has in place for all his TBs and coins...and you probably know of Tommy's troubles because of it!! People most likely will politely follow your rules, but then, you MAY find someone that wants to "press" the subject. I followed the rules with TT and we are now good friends, but others may not decide to follow your rules and then you will make "enemies" in the cache community (as Tommy Trojan found out).

A cacher shouldn't have the power to delete logs...maybe there should be a review board for complaints and the decision should be made there. This would stop the problems and solve the hard feelings some may get if you delete their logs!!

Don't get me wrong...if you DON'T want me to discover your item, I likely won't, but there are some out there that just want to stir up trouble, so they MIGHT discover just for that reason. The next thing you know, a complaint is sent in to GC, and the problems begin. I wouldn't like it if someone deleted my log though...it has happened at a cache requiring answers to a question (this one was a song that you needed to quote)...I answered, but the owner thought it'd be neat to mess with me as I had trouble finding the cache...there were hard feelings there as I was trying to set up my 500th find to coincide with the '06 Geobash!! We're over it now, but it did make me mad at the time!

Edited by Rockin Roddy
I've discovered a few TBs...some at events (the "discover only" TBs placed on the tables) sometimes while caching!! If the TB has a mission to go places that I'm NOT going, I'll discover it and leave it for the next cacher to help along...I shouldn't be penalized for being considerate to both the TB parent and the next cacher!!

You seem to be taking my comments in respect of my trackables and making a blanket statement that implies my view is held across all trackables. Please understand that I don't talk on behalf of other owners and and have not suggested my views should hold in respect of others trackables. I was specifically referring to my OWN trackables when I made my comments on deleting discover logs. If I have misunderstood you please accept my apologies.

If I have not, you might want to check out the objectives of my trackables. All I hope have clear objectives, one of which is to move on to another cache, so all my trackables have at least the simple move on objective and likely a second more specific objective. This means that all my trackables should be able to be moved 98% of the time avoiding the need for discover logs. In respect of the 2% of cases where moving is not possible I would give any request for a discover log due consideration.

As to the "discover only" TB I don't release them so my comments can't be applied to them.

I don't personally have a problem with discover logs as such, I just don't want them on my trackables. I have in fact recorded at least one on a specific coin which was only allowing discover logs. I had no problem with that as it was per the owner's requirements. Requirements which I consider important to respect.

So I am sorry if my views in respect to my trackables offend you, but then I find your comments suggesting people like myself are TB Hogs offensive as well. Especially given I make every reasonable effort to move and distribute trackables around my area at least weekly if not more often, e.g., released for another cacher over 35 coins in my area in the past couple of months. Moved and released another five or six trackables this week alone. My perspective is to consider the owner and to try and keep their trackables moving which is what I like to see happening with mine.

Regards

Andrew

Edited for grammar and misspellings. The bane of my life.

Edited by Aushiker
but once you release a bug or coin to the wild all bets are off as to what you want it to do.

Well thankfully people around here and generally in my experiece to date have shown more respect to the objectives of bugs and coins than you seem to suggest. So I guess I am going to have to disagree with you here.

I would much rather have my bugs "discovered" once in a while so at least I know they are still out there some place.

That is great. If it works for you go for it, personally I have found moving does the same thing, but that is my take on it.

I don't think you should delete a discovered log just because you don't like that feature. If you really don't want any of your coins or bugs "discovered" don't release them, that way you will have total control over what happens to them.

Just because I don't like discover logs I shouldn't release coins and bugs? Is that a serious suggestion? :)

I am sorry but thankfully the majority of people who have found my coins and bugs have moved them on, and have enjoyed them it would seem, so I don't think knocking back three discover logs should result in them not being released and others being denied finding them and moving. Might be an over reaction I reckon.

Thanks for sharing your perspective.

Regards

Andrew

Edited by Aushiker

Sometimes I have distributed all the TBs I had for trading with (yes, I know a lot of you think that the 'trade even" rule doesn't exist for TBs...I like to as it is just rude to take every TB out of an area if you've nothing to give back...I wouldn't want it done to me, I won't do it to others...this doesn't mean that if you don't have a TB, you can't trade...take one if you want..NOT all of them) so I'll dicover a TB and let another cacher enjoy finding it. I'd much rather be a considerate cacher than a TB hog!!

I do a lot of TB moving (#37 on the Larobley top 50 list), I've been out TB hunting many times and have come across caches that are supposed to be full of TBs, only to find that a previous cacher just visited and wiped out everything without leaving a single TB behind as trade. These may not be trade items to many of you, but the "trade fair" rule SHOULD be in place for TBs too!!

As for the icon collecting...that's wrong if that's what you're doing, but there have been instances while TB hunting with a friend that I was there to pick up the TB, but when we got home, I didn't get the opportunity to actually HAVE the TB in my inventory...i.e. we go out (a friend and myself TB hunting), find a large assortment of TBs (and replace them trading fairly). She goes home and logs them all, I wait for her to "drop" them into a cache so I can "grab" them up. SOMETIMES, there is another trade set up BEFORE I can get them in my inventory, so I might discover them (I was there to get them , I should be allowed to log them too) so they are still in her inventory for the next trade!! In that instance...it might LOOK as if we are SWAPPING TB numbers, but in reality WE AREN'T.

We shouldn't be penalized for this!!

There are a few reasons for the discovery option...and sometimes it is needed to be used...we SHOULDN'T have our logs deleted for this...it IS allowed!!

My TBs are meant to move, not left sitting in a cache because someone thought they needed to ‘share’ the TB with other people. My TBs have missions; they are not hard to meet. Some are directional goals some just ask you to participate in the bug’s purpose. Discovering my bugs neither moves it or meet its goal. You don’t get a special icon, just a stat count for doing a whole bunch of nothing.

Now do I care if you ‘Discover’ my bug? No not really, I just don’t buy into the reasons for doing it. So don’t expect sympathy from me when you lose a stat count.

As for the “.take one if you want..NOT all of them” comment. If you can assist a TB towards its goal move it, whether it’s one or twenty. If anyone complains that somebody is hogging all the TBs, well that person needs to get off the couch and start caching more. There are plenty of bugs out there to assist.

I was just poking a little fun at the discovery concept in my OP. It seems to be at odds with the "travel" part of travel bugs, but my post wasn't intended to be a rant against, just me chuckling at it.

However, this thread has caused me to think about it and I can see one potential problem discovery may create.

My reason for releasing TBs is for them to travel. People who are into travel bugs as a numbers game no longer have to move the bug to add it to their numbers. So, it may inhibit many moves the bug would have gotten if it had to be moved to be added to a cacher's bug count. To me, it seems likely this will happen. It's much easier to record the number and not have to fool with the bug, and if you get credit either way . . .

How about a compromise. The discovered feature remains as a way to let the owner know you saw their bug but it doesn't add to the cacher's bug inventory. If you say, "nobody will take the trouble if it doesn't increase their count," it seems like you've made my point.

Edited by Thot

How about gc.com changes the discover log feature to an option. The owner can enable the feature for his/her bug or not. After all, it is supposed to be their travel bug, isn't it? Canceling a log causes ill will, but if the option isn't there it doesn't seem like it should -- at least not nearly so much.

How about gc.com changes the discover log feature to an option. The owner can enable the feature for his/her bug or not. After all, it is supposed to be their travel bug, isn't it? Canceling a log causes ill will, but if the option isn't there it doesn't seem like it should -- at least not nearly so much.

Works for me.

Aushiker...I wasn't meaning YOU when I said that the comment about TB hogs...I'm pointing out that we all need to be considerate toward the next cacher, if you were into the TB aspect, you'd understand. I go out and cache OFTEN...sometimes I go out merely for the TBs...if all the TBs are gone from a cache that I made a 100+ mile trip one way to get to, yes that I find to be rude. Placing limitations on a TB is the same as placing the "member's only" limitation on a cache...what, you can't find one if you don't pay the premium??? I'm not saying that you shouldn't be allowed to place some limitations on your Tbs, but deleting logs because you didn't get your TB moved isn't the answer. One limitation I use is "PLEASE KEEP ME MOVING" "THIS ISN'T SWAG" etc....but I don't REQUIRE you to move my TB to log it.

Blue Duece..I guess you misunderstood...I agree with you, if you can help a TB along...TAKE it!! BUT...if you are going out for a day of collecting TBs and you DON'T have any to give back, you are being hogish and inconsiderate to others!!! I would NEVER go to a cahce and wipe out every TB JUST because I want to log them in my collection (so the loss of a stat comment...way off)...if I can leave a TB behind for the next cacher (possibly a youngster who enjoys finding TBs in a cache) I DO!! I stride to be considerate and not HOG all the TBs!! If that means there are a few left that I could have taken, so be it, BUT, if there's a TB I want to log and I don't have a TB to leave (especially if I've been out trading the TBs in the area), I'm happy to discover and leave it for the next cacher...just being considerate toward others who are out for the sport and NOT the numbers.

AND...if you check my stats..I DO get off the couch!! The 500 caches in 5 months thing MIGHT suggest that!!

Is there no politeness left for this sport??? Is it sooo hard to be considerate to others around you?? Are pleasant comments in forums dead?? I'd think you'd feel differently if you were concentrating on TBs and they all disappeared before you got to the area...and the person didn't leave any in trade!! If it's because of the casual cacher who came out to grab a TB while hunting caches, fine, but if a TB "headhunter" comes in and wipes out an area...JUST WRONG!!

I don't mind it if, say for instance, the cacher before me takes 3 times the amount they leave, or even 4 times...but if you don't have any to leave, and you are out on a mission to remove every TB from an area, that's just wrong!! OH...and HOGISH!! If you're the casual cacher and want the last TB...great, go for it!!

Lastly...I don't need your sympathy, comments that are less than polite...not needed either..."if there's nothing nice to say"...as my mom would tell me.

Lastly...I don't need your sympathy, comments that are less than polite...not needed either..."if there's nothing nice to say"...as my mom would tell me.

If anyone comes into this forum and asks how many bugs they can take from a cache I am going to tell them to take as many as they can assist. Whether it's one or twenty.

If someone can hit 15 caches and moves the bugs, good for them.

Sorry if you are taking all this personally.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Don't get me wrong Thot, I wouldn't go out to just "discover" TBs...that's frowned upon by others in the top 50 list. You are judged by your peers, like it or not!

On the other hand, if I CAN discover one which I have no way to help in it's mission...i.e. we went to Ohio for a day of TB trading. There were a few TBs that had missions to "stay in Ohio". If I have more caches to go to after that one, I'll gladly take it and drop it in another Ohio cache. BUT one of the TBs in the LAST cache we did, wanted to stay in Ohio, so I discovered it and left it! I wasn't making another stop and I didn't want to upset the TB owner by removing it to Michigan. The same with a TB that would like to go in the opposite direction...I'm not going to take the TB in the wrong direction just to log it, but I'll discover it and it'll still be able to move on to it's destination!!

If I've used up ALL of my TBs and have nothing to give back, I might just discover a TB and let the next cacher enjoy it as well...just being considerate AND I did have the TB in my hands. I'm against just going out and logging discoveries because you're too lazy to make an effort though!!

Discovering is an option that helps for those purposes...but it shouldn't be abused either!!

I only take personally the comments like those I stated...I have thick skin, so no biggie! But, as happened with Tommy Trojan, I won't be mean just because I don't agree...I would rather be nice than rude! TT quit because of the "less than respectful comments many made toward him.

If that wasn't your intent, fine, but you could rephrase some of your comments to not be so harsh...that's how problems are created. Nice brings about nice!!

Maybe THAT's my problem...my mom taught me to be a nice considerate person!!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

I only take personally the comments like those I stated...I have thick skin, so no biggie! But, as happened with Tommy Trojan, I won't be mean just because I don't agree...I would rather be nice than rude! TT quit because of the "less than respectful comments many made toward him.

If that wasn't your intent, fine, but you could rephrase some of your comments to not be so harsh...that's how problems are created. Nice brings about nice!!

Thanks dad. :)

I was not saying that I would want a travel bug to just be "discovered" of course I would much rather have it travel then sit in some ones hands for months while he or she just lets folks "discover" it. But deleting logs does make for uneasy feelings. I can also under stand some one discovering something at an event I would hope some one would not only discover it but help it on it journey too. I did not mean to ruffle any ones feathers by any of my comments. I would of course do my best to help any bug or coin on its mission if I picked it up. As far as logging discoveries I have only done that with items people have asked me if I would like to discover them.

NOPE...If I was your dad, you'd have more respect and consideration for others!! It's all in the upbringing though, and this is the reason for all the killings in schools, at the jobsite etc...nobody thinks they need to be considerate!! FRIENDLINESS IS A THING OF THE PAST!

I'm the one with SYMPATHY for YOU. I live in a world where kindness and politefullness are the norm!!

I can handle all the snide remarks you want...wouldn't it be easier (and healthier) to be kind instead of rude??

Now then...back on topic!!

I have told you how I feel, there it is! If you disagree not a problem!! TBs ARE to travel, but sometimes other circumstances prevent this...deleting a log isn't the answer!!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

I agree completely. TB's are indeed to travel... however there's quite often only so many that can travel with you. For example... I generally only have a very small travel bag with me when I geocache... typically only room for one TB... and usually not a really big one (although, if I'm really wanting to move it, I'll just carry it to the car anyway).

Hence... if I come across multiple... I'll only grab one to migrate onwards.

Why bother logging the others you ask? Several reasons... as Eartha said, it lets the TB owner that it's still there, and hasn't been stolen. Second... I DO like to have a record of TB's I come across for the same reason I log finds. No, not for numbers. If I cared about that, I'd fight to log a 'smiley' if I only find the cache lid, instead of posting a DNF. I DO however highly enjoy going back every so often to geocaches or TB's I've done, and seeing who's found them after me, and what they thought of it. Now, I COULD set up a 'bookmark' list for every cache or TB I've found, but that'd be insanely long, and annoying as hell. Just 'discovering' a TB shows it in my list so I can easily click onto it (I also like knowing when I found it).

Y'see... I don't like leaving TB's unmoved at the best of times, but if I have to leave some behind (ie: many in a cache), I do like to check and see if they move on anytime. If I ever come across the situation (hasn't happened yet though) where I see a TB I've discovered hasn't moved in like... several months, I think I'll go and rescue it and migrate it along myself.

Travel bugs can have owner rules just like caches. Logs are subject to deletion. Angst will ensue. Any bug with a goal to travel that is discovered isn't traveling. Angst will ensue.

Thot could put a web cam on his desktop bug and have it disovered all the time. Then the discover log would be a bonus new way to play the game that doesnt' cause angst because that's what the owner wants.

Why bother logging the others you ask? Several reasons... as Eartha said, it lets the TB owner that it's still there, and hasn't been stolen.

I am curious as to why you stopped using a "write note" log in such situations. That is how do you see the discover log being better option?

Thanks

Andrew

Edited by Aushiker

Thank you Thot. I was beginning to think no one was going to say something that would give me my smug superior feeling for today. I would have gone to bed all cross. :(

I don't understand your point. Please clarify.

This thread is my point. It is very similar to the all micros suck mentality. Quite entertaining. I've gotten many smug superior feelings from it. Gosh, I hope it keeps running for awhile.

Just because someone enjoys the game a bit differently than you (the royal you) it does not make them wrong or to use the OP exact words "strange."

Check it, the Discovery Option exists. :D

"Everyone plays their own game. There is no sense in trying to police another's mindset as long as it falls within the general parameters of the game." Me (quoting myself from the poll that I posted on 10/23/03.)

I have found it disappointing when a bug sits for a "long" period of time without moving, while being "Discovered" a half-dozen times. There are those who are interested in building their numbers, but I just don't see it.

I have also had a bug picked up in Michigan, by someone who "discovered" it online. They then could not log it into the cache where they dropped it in Washington, since it was never in their inventory. Makes for gaps in the bug's history. This seems to be a communication issue that I would like to see addressed. It would be nice if it were made more clear on the log page what the different types (Retreived it, Grabbed it, and Discovered it) were for and how to use them.

Do I like "Discovered" logs? NO!

Will I delete them from my travel bugs or add logging requirements? No.

Will all you people compromise, be reasonable, and play the game my way? Evidently not...

Is it worth losing sleep over? No.

Happy holidays!

Dave_W6DPS

Thank you Thot. I was beginning to think no one was going to say something that would give me my smug superior feeling for today. I would have gone to bed all cross. rolleyes.gif

This thread is my point. It is very similar to the all micros suck mentality. Quite entertaining. I've gotten many smug superior feelings from it. Gosh, I hope it keeps running for awhile.

Is it your mission here to snipe insults and put downs at people who post lighthearted jabs at aspects of the game when you hold a different view?

Edited by Thot

As I have stated, I try to be considerate to everyone else. I try to see it your way as I would hope you'd see it mine...and I hope that everything can be carried on nicely. That's the only thing that annoys me...disagree with me, but be nice! No need being rude!

Since I can't control what others do, I don't let it bother me, I merely stated a point of view that apparently others disagreed with. I agree that the TBs should be moved if someone can help it along on it's goal, just as I disagree that someone should come in and clean out an area and claim they were being considerate to the owner.

In our area, most TBs sit a week tops, so we don't have that kind of problem (a TB sitting idle). If a TB is listed in a cache for an extended period of time, that's usually because it was muggled. With so many TB collectors in our region, a TB moves fairly fast around here.

And you are right Dave-W6DPS...no sleep being lost!! [;-)]

Happy Holidays to you as well!!

your name seems familiar, I may have moved one of your TBs!

The discover option was put there so people could log bugs without having to drop and retrieve a nig, if they just wanted to log it. It helps the cache owner and TB owner know that the bug is still in the cache, and it helps when two people both would like to log a bug but only one can. It does make for a lot of unwanted (and most often boring) emails when your travel bug goes to an event. But it saves people from having to email someone when they grab the bug to just log it and never place it back in the cache.

:( I guess I had it wrong :D , I thought the discovered it option was put there for coins. Discovered it makes it easier to pick up coin icons en mass. Such as sometimes is know to happen after events or other places at which people showed off their coin collections. Before discovered it people trying get credit for all the coins they seen would post litterally thousands of grab and drop logs which would drag the 'travel bug' server to a halt during peak logging times (like weekends after big events). Discovering a coin creates only one log, not two, and doesn't force the system to calculate the mileage from/to the new location since the location is not changed. Which is good for the website.

However, the 'discovered it' option also seems to lend itself to being used for logging regular (dogtag) travelbug not just coins. It seems some people are more into collecting 'finds' off travelers than actually working on moving it toward its goal. Yea I know, thats not everyone's intent for discovering TBs, but sheesh it seems like a for a good number it is. 'when two people both would like to log a bug but only one can' Thats a really good point, many would move the TB only one can... except for when the event is over and the host has the left over bugs that half a dozen people discovered, but None took went them to drop in another :(

Don't get wrong, i'm not saying discovered should be removed since some coins or TBs are 'event only' displays so it makes sense to make logging simple and easy (and totally removing the option would probably mean unneed slamming on the TB system, again). But to me it seems that for items that are actually out moving from cache to cache, the discover option doesn't really add anything of value. In some cases it even confuses those that did help it along in how to correctly log the movement :D

Thank you Thot. I was beginning to think no one was going to say something that would give me my smug superior feeling for today. I would have gone to bed all cross. rolleyes.gif

Is it your mission here to snipe insults and put downs at people who post lighthearted jabs at aspects of the game when you hold a different view?

You should have stated in your OP that ONLY people who agree with you should respond. :(

Please illustrate the lightheartedness in your OP. :D

I just planted my first travel bugs the other day and I was wondering why I was getting these discovered logs. Then my wife informed me that they get logged in as found/discovered.

At first I thought that was awfully cheap. I still don't know how to feel about it. To me it kind of seems like cheating. For example, I don't even like to drop travel bugs off in caches I have already found. When I find a travel bug, I try and take them to new caches to log them in. Since the wife and I have different accounts, we will often find a micro cache and I will "drop" it off and she will immediately pick it up, so we kind of use the micro as a transfer point. Other than that, that is the only thing I feel dirty about.

To me the point of travel bugs is to travel. I probably won't get into this discovery thing. If i don't pick the bug up and take it with me, I won't log it.

And that is when I realized that Geocaching is what we make of it. If you are all about numbers and want to drive them up, then go for it. If you are about trading items and trinkets, then go for it. That is the nice thing about Geocaching, it is what you make it.

Keeping that in mind, I will choose not to "discover" travel bugs. If I don't move it, I won't log it. For those of you who want to add to your count and "discover", I will go ahead and leave your log on my TB.

And that is the key that I think so many of the incredibly rude posters have lost in this thread. Really, I am surprised that for such a fun activity, there is so much nit picking on this board. I don't get on the boards much, but man are people touchy. I think we would all be best served to relax and make the game what you want it.

I look at it this way, I will never have as many logs as some of the people here. I will never catch up. So why worry about it? I don't need to inflate my numbers to make myself feel good. I am just going to go out and enjoy the hunt. I think all of us should remember that. YOU make Geocaching what YOU want it to be. Don't worry about others.

And with that said, although I won't participate, discovery seems to be here to stay.

Edited by elrojo14

I like the "discover" option for large bugs or the ones that you really can't move. For example, my bug "Mary Proppins" was put out for people to have fun with so anybody can discover it if they want to. It's too big for almost any cache (although it did get placed in a few) and really can only travel to events. Without the discover option this thing would get grabbed and dropped into every event or location where people could get it's tag#. Another example would be a human travel bug like Snoogans. While Snoogans is one of my heroes, if I "found" him at an caching event, I really don't think I would want to move him to another cache or event.

I don't think there's any reason to discover a small bug other than to get another number added to your stats or a new icon for a discovered geocoin.

I personally, would rather move, than discover a bug to get the extra number or icon.

I agree, why would you want to go through the trouble of just discovering an item? Why not just move it. I'll admit in the beginning, I discovered a couple of coins, but then I realized that was a waste of my time. It was much more fun to pick it up and move it. That being said, I don't really mind getting emails when my coins are discovered.

That makes me think of another thing.... Why do people obsess over collecting geocoins? Aren't they meant to be travel bugs?

Why do people obsess over collecting geocoins? Aren't they meant to be travel bugs?

Nope.

I guess I should rephrase it. I can see why people would collect personal coins...Not trackable items (Travel bugs included). I would much rather have a travel bug or geocoin move so my kids and I can see where it has been. No disrespect intended to the collectors. I just don't get it. :laughing:

Sorry to get off the thread!

I am fairly new to GC (6 mos) still consider myself a newbie of course, but it appears that there is always a catch 22.

The good people at GC.com took something interesting and gained quite the following.

It is intended to be fun for all, and they have implemented "rules" as necessary.

Noone is ever going to have a 100% solution in this world that will make 100% of the people 100% happy.

I enjoy the thrill of the hunt as probably (and I use this next term DARINGLY) ALL of you do, or else you wouldn't participate.

I myself have enjoyed it thoroughly, but have stepped on some toes too it seems.

As this thread started out, and again rementioned, discovering discoveries on the web.

Although the well intended picture can lead to bad feelings and angst or whatever else it may create, it happens. I don't see that it violates any "offical" GC rules, I am not out to collect icons or stats, just exploring another avenue of the "find".

Am I bummed that someone deleted some of my true discoveries? of course.

I feel they were legitimate per the logging requirements-- the CORRECT number and website for the TB.

Consider a different perspective:

What if the discoverer was handicapped? Can't enjoy the sport as many of you can. Sure, they get a few friendly caches, log a few travelbugs and move them along, but someone cooped up WANTING to be out there and killing time DREAMING about being out there starts discovering via owners pictures a way to amuse themself with the sport, and still have the "thrill of the hunt"

Is this wrong? Is this questionable? Do you take THEIR finds away because you don't agree?

I had one guy threaten to make a complaint if I didn't remove my logged discovery-only to find that he already did it.

The game/sport/pastime is what you make of it, but consider it also what you make it for someone else.

just my 2 cents. sorry if I offended anyone with it

Discovering is allowed, if you discovered the item properly (NOT fishing for numbers or taking them off pictures, AND be sure the numbers you entered are the right ones...bugs sometimes are improperly discovered/found by mistakenly putting in the wrong number and getting a different traveler than you have/saw), you should be allowed this action. The person who deleted your log may want to rethink their actions.

NO, taking numbers off pictures is NOT allowed and I would delete any logs like this (after contacting that person). I can't allow this action or I run the risk of my traveler being locked!! It isn't that I disagree (although I do) it affects me personally.

Plenty of other ways for a handicap cacher to participate!! Hide handicap friendly caches, visit events, parent TBs of your own etc...

edit for expanding thought!!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

at the risk of sounding smug, where are the "hidden rules" posted for the world to see.

I found these rules posted at the site, found many "suggestions" in the forums, but specifically no posted rules against quite alot of it out there that makes up the sport.

from http://www.geocaching.com/faq/:

What are the rules in Geocaching?

Geocaching is a relatively new phenomenon. Therefore, the rules are very simple:

1. Take something from the cache

2. Leave something in the cache

3. Write about it in the logbook

Where you place a cache is up to you.

at the risk of sounding smug, where are the "hidden rules" posted for the world to see.

I found these rules posted at the site, found many "suggestions" in the forums, but specifically no posted rules against quite alot of it out there that makes up the sport.

from http://www.geocaching.com/faq/:

What are the rules in Geocaching?

Geocaching is a relatively new phenomenon. Therefore, the rules are very simple:

1. Take something from the cache

2. Leave something in the cache

3. Write about it in the logbook

Where you place a cache is up to you.

I do understand your position that you posted eariler.

However Bug owners do have the right/ability to control their bug in regards to not allowing certain logs.

While I don't think Discovering is a necessity for travel bugs, and I won’t use the option, I’m not going to delete Discover logs on mine. I really don’t think requiring ‘move only’ going to assist my bug that much.

edit: due to bad editing.

Edited by BlueDeuce