MeriGold Firmware troubles

BillyBean

It's been too long for me to remember how the process went. I take it that you do have a set of instructions telling you which steps to take?

One thing I *do* remember is that there is an alternative upload process listed under "Emergency firmware restoration" in the Meridian FAQs that I link to in my sig line (and is also permalinked at the top of this forum).

Also, if you were upgrading from a relatively recent version (I'm thinking the 4.06 although it may have required a 5.x), you can load the firmware .hex file on the SD card and do the upgrade near-automatically on power up.

I guess from what I've read and it seems right, when I hook the GPSr to the computer and open the magup.exe it will automatically recognize it and ask to start update, but I'm not getting anything.

Can computer communicate with GPS with a program like EasGPS... IT may be the the upgrade software can not "find" GPS unit because it does not know what "COM" port the GPS is using....

Dale

Edited by Dale_Lynn

To give a little more detail to embra's response, if you have an SD card reader, you can take the firmware file (i.e., mgold540.hex), copy it to the root directory of your SD card, rename it as firmware.hex, then turn the unit on. Works with versions higher than 4.xx already on the unit.

Edited by TeamCNJC

To give a little more detail to embra's response, if you have an SD card reader, you can take the firmware file (i.e., mgold540.hex), copy it to the root directory of your SD card, rename it as firmware.hex, then turn the unit on. Works with versions higher than 4.xx already on the unit.

Did that with 5.41 earlier this week and it worked like a charm. Lot better that the old way on my MAP 330 and MeriGold in the "early days". Man that makes me sound old...