60CX accessories questions

purdue1014

I have a few questions on accessories for the 60cx. I want to get a 1 GB micro (correct?) SD card. Is the Kingston brand reputable? I was going to go with the SanDisk, but I realized that I then would have to buy a new card reader as the Kingston comes with a "regular SD adapter." Is $30 a good price for a GB SD card?

Also, I want to get some sort of protection for the 60CX. I was going to go with the neoprene standard Garmin case; however I have heard that the buttons can be hard to push with this case. I have then heard from these forums that the invisible shield screen protector is amazing, right? My questions are; should I go with the Garmin case or the invisible shield? If I were to get the invisible shield, how does it attach? Is it like other screen protectors where there are bogus air bubbles? I assume, once you attach the invisible shield, you can't remove it? Am I correct?

Thanks a lot for your help, let me know if there is anything else that you think that I should buy.....

Thanks,

Purdue

Q. I want to get a 1 GB micro (correct?) SD card.

A. microSD, also known as transflash, correct.

Q. Is the Kingston brand reputable?

A. Garmin tests with SanDisk and Kingston, and therefore recommends those brands. I've never heard of any trouble with a Kingston vs sanDisk.

Q. I was going to go with the SanDisk, but I realized that I then would have to buy a new card reader as the Kingston comes with a "regular SD adapter."

A. Either comes with the SD adaptor in the retail package

Q. Is $30 a good price for a GB SD card?

A. Yes, but consider availability (in stock?) and shipping expenses. I was going to buy a $31.00 Kingston 1gb but then realized the $38.00 SanDisk was cheaper with free shipping.

Q. should I go with the Garmin case or the invisible shield?

A. I'm a big fan of the shield. Remember a case may also get in the way if you want to mount the GPSr in a car or on a bike, etc.

Q. If I were to get the invisible shield, how does it attach?

A. Take a look here.

Q. Is it like other screen protectors where there are bogus air bubbles?

A. Not if you install it properly. The above link has some good install tips.

Q. I assume, once you attach the invisible shield, you can't remove it?

A. It is easy to remove and reapply if necessary as many times as you need to while it is still wet. Once it dries you can still remove it but you may get stretch marks if you try to reapply it then.

Q. I want to get a 1 GB micro (correct?) SD card.

A. microSD, also known as transflash, correct.

Q. Is the Kingston brand reputable?

A. Garmin tests with SanDisk and Kingston, and therefore recommends those brands. I've never heard of any trouble with a Kingston vs sanDisk.

Q. I was going to go with the SanDisk, but I realized that I then would have to buy a new card reader as the Kingston comes with a "regular SD adapter."

A. Either comes with the SD adaptor in the retail package

Q. Is $30 a good price for a GB SD card?

A. Yes, but consider availability (in stock?) and shipping expenses. I was going to buy a $31.00 Kingston 1gb but then realized the $38.00 SanDisk was cheaper with free shipping.

Q. should I go with the Garmin case or the invisible shield?

A. I'm a big fan of the shield. Remember a case may also get in the way if you want to mount the GPSr in a car or on a bike, etc.

Q. If I were to get the invisible shield, how does it attach?

A. Take a look here.

Q. Is it like other screen protectors where there are bogus air bubbles?

A. Not if you install it properly. The above link has some good install tips.

Q. I assume, once you attach the invisible shield, you can't remove it?

A. It is easy to remove and reapply if necessary as many times as you need to while it is still wet. Once it dries you can still remove it but you may get stretch marks if you try to reapply it then.

Hey thanks......Would that be stretch marks on the GPS or on the screen?

Purdue

Purdue

When a shield is removed after it has dried it requires a bit of pulling. This can cause the corner of the shield to stretch, leaving a noticable ripple if its reinstalled. I believe shieldzone will replace this under warranty for $2.95 shipping cost only. Warranty requires product registration on their site.

Edited to note that removal of the shield will not damage the unit it is installed on. Just use a fingernail only--no tools.

Edited by media601

Do not use the invisble shield with the neoprene standard Garmin case. The neoprene sticks to the shield. I use the invisible shield and love it. I use the garmin case for the map76.

Does anyone know where I can get an invisible shield in Canada. In particular Alberta.

The only place I know to get them is to mail order from shieldzone.

Do not use the invisble shield with the neoprene standard Garmin case. The neoprene sticks to the shield. I use the invisible shield and love it. I use the garmin case for the map76.

Does anyone know where I can get an invisible shield in Canada. In particular Alberta.

Try gpscentral.ca or phone them, based in Calgary.

Or also GPScity.ca, based in Calgary.

Purdue

When a shield is removed after it has dried it requires a bit of pulling. This can cause the corner of the shield to stretch, leaving a noticable ripple if its reinstalled. I believe shieldzone will replace this under warranty for $2.95 shipping cost only. Warranty requires product registration on their site.

Edited to note that removal of the shield will not damage the unit it is installed on. Just use a fingernail only--no tools.

Thanks for the information, an invisible shield is on the way.....

Purdue