Bubble Bottle GOO In Caaches

TexasGringo

Have you found bottles of Bubble Solution or Hand Cream in Caches? This might be good down South where it is warm...but up North where it freezes, these containers break and that crap gets all inside of the Cache.

Just the other day I had to clean out one of my Caches from this stuff. If I come across them in other Caches, I usually remove them to prevent future Cache owner's problems.

I'd rather people leave Nothing instead of a bottle of leaking Goo that makes a mess of everything else in the Cache.

Have you run across other problems like this?

:(:(

Also, the perfumy odor of soaps and lotions can attract small animals, which have a bad habit of chewing on a cache or tearing it apart to see what's inside when they think they smell something edible. You wouldn't think the floral smell would be appetizing to a rodent, but I've come across numerous caches that have been shredded or chewed up because somebody left a hotel soap (who would want to trade for that, anyway!) or even a scented candle.

Edited by DavidMac

There was this one I found: GCDBEE

February 17, 2005 by Cpt.Blackbeard (25 found)

Had a little time left after finding the Guy Thing so we came here, nice easy find. TNLNSL. A bottle of soap left in the cache has leaked and everything in that half of the bottle is covered with soap, fortuanatly the log is in the other half.

Spent a few minutes checking out the bridge, as well as the highway bridge that replaced it, constructed out of two old railroad cars. Crossed that bridge a thousand times and never knew how it was built. Thanks for the find.

Have you found bottles of Bubble Solution or Hand Cream in Caches? This might be good down South where it is warm...but up North where it freezes, these containers break and that crap gets all inside of the Cache.

Just the other day I had to clean out one of my Caches from this stuff. If I come across them in other Caches, I usually remove them to prevent future Cache owner's problems.

I'd rather people leave Nothing instead of a bottle of leaking Goo that makes a mess of everything else in the Cache.

Have you run across other problems like this?

:(:(

back in the early days of caching this probably seemed like a good idea. Several years later a lot of the original stuff was still in the cache mixed with a couple of inches of water.

As for the bubble juice, I have found dozens of caches with that stuff in it all the way from New England to Arizona. it becomes sort of a sig item for some folks.

I've found a few caches with bubbles in them. I hadn't really thought about trashing them out, but you're right, I'll be more aware of that in the future.

The worst I've found was some scented soaps that had actually been dumped out and chewed up by raccoons. But even worse than that....an open container of fish food sealed up in an ammo box that I opened on a HOT summer day.

Phhewwwwwwwwww....that was funky.

Bret

One of my favorite finds contained what is, so far, the nastiest thing I've ever found in a cache. My edited log from Key to the Wetlands:

Did a little Riffster dance to appease the cache Gods, then pawed through all the kewl stuff inside. There were a few things that caught my eye, then I found what appeared to be a mini canned ham. At least, it was shaped like a canned ham. The label was gone, so I didn't know what was in it. The can had started to rust, and was swelling, so I figured I best remove it before it popped. I checked the log, but couldn't see where anybody had placed it. What to do, what to do?...When in doubt, do what's right. Took the can of unknown contents, left the Angelsomethingorother Travel Bug, a 1952 French 50 Francs coin, a 1957 English 1 Shilling coin, a 1950 Nederlanen 25 Cent coin, a 1966 Canadian 25 Cent coin, an Italian 100 Lira coin and a 1954 Letzeburg 25 Cmes coin.

And now for the rest of the story;

Those who know me, know that I'm not the brightest bulb in the chandelier. I often do things that, in retrospect, were probably not very smart. This adventure was no exception. I got back to the hacienda, and the contents of the mystery can kept praying on my poor overworked brain. I had to know what was in there! At Viv's insistence, I took it outside, well away from the house, and yanked on the pull tab. OH MY GOD! The stench would've knocked a buzzard off a gut wagon at 50 paces! The contents looked like cut up squid parts, but I didn't look closely enough to be sure. After a few vigorous scrubbings, my hands have lost enough of the odor of rotten suishi to be allowed in the house.

Thank you Blue Man, for a mighty adventure! I look forward to many more.

Sean

A cache we refurbished (original owner had left the game) contained a can of vanilla-scented automotive air freshener. The can had popped open, and the cache container, a Lock-n-Lock, had cracked and filled with rainwater. The resulting gelatinous goo of phony vanilla scent and pond scum was disgusting.

Found something worse, though. I was searching a creekside cave for a cache when I found a small, fluorescent-green jar. The cache! I unscrewed the top to sign the log and was bowled over by a gawdawful stench. I trained my light on the jar and the label said "Bait Scent Attractant." I gather that fishermen smear this gunk on artificial lures to make them appetizing to fish. At some point, the water level must have been high enough to carry the little jar into the cave for me to find. Never did find the actual cache. Was tempted to write GEOCACHE on the side of the jar with a Sharpie and leave it for the next guy to enjoy :(

one that sticks (pun intended) in my head was a cache someone had put cough drops into. Some water was inside of course, so everything was coated with sticky goo. We spent at least a 1/2 hour rinsing off items that were savable, and baggying up the other stuff that were beyond hope.

batteries have also been found corroded and ruining other items by me on occasion. Recently found a package of Pez candy/dispenser I promply removed before animals got to it...or water melted it into syrup.

One of my favorite finds contained what is, so far, the nastiest thing I've ever found in a cache....

I found something even worse, left by a previous finder :( , in what ended up being one of my favorite cache sites.

To stay on topic, though, a few years ago the Birmingham, AL area was struck by a cacher who the locals nicknamed the "axe bandit" after they left sample bottles of that awful deodorant spray in caches. We found one that had rusted and leaked, and it took me two days to get that horrible smell off of my hands.

If I am going to put in something that I don't want to get ruined, I make sure its in a plastic baggie. Small-doll type items, items made of cloth, or other objects that may absorb odors or water all go in a baggie. Then when people are pawing through the cache, they can see what it is, but don't have to lay it on the ground, and I don't have to worry about leaky caches.

I have put bubbles (in a baggie) into a cache, and have found lots of bubbles in caches, and have never had a problem. But I could see where it could be a problem if it were to leak.