3 Peaks Challenge

Papakas

Ben Nevis -> Scafell Pike -> Snowdon

That's the challenge! We've had a number of events now taking on the mountains individually so is anyone, apart from myself of course(!), interested in take on all three? I'd like to open this up now so that I can pick up on any potential interest and once Christmas is out of the way get cracking on necessarily arranging something. Here's my considerations:

I suggest avoid going for a 24 hour in order to open the challenge up to more participants. However if there's enough interest.....!

Two events, one logable as those who complete the challenge, the other for those who participate either on individual mountains or meet/support along the way.

Primary event would start at Achintee for Ben Nevis ascent and finish at Pen-y-Pass for Snowdon descent. Each participant must reach the trigpoint pillar on each summit!

If there's enough interest I would look into funding for the hire of a minibus and ask for a supporting volunteer to drive.

I have already engaged in discussion for the provision of web based satellite tracking whereby people can view progress of the challenge on each mountain and along the route in between. This would greatly help supporters physically link up along the way.

A date would need to be set in consideration of one day to meet in Scotland, two days for the event and one day to get home from Wales. So a Public Holiday weekend perhaps?

To help your consideration here is a rough outline of a typical 3 peaks challenge:

Ben Nevis ascent 7.8kms climb 1300m (43->1343m) 4hrs, descent 2hrs

Achintee to Wasdale 5hr

Scafell Pike ascent 4.3kms climb 920m (57->977m) 2.5hrs, descent 1hrs

Wasdale to Pen-y-Pass 4 hr

Snowdon ascent 5.4kms climb 794m (291->1085m) 2.5hrs, descent 1.5hrs

Total time 22.5 hrs but then we if we're not going for a 24 hour challenge we'll have time to bag one or two caches along the way!

What's your thoughts?

Achintee to Wasdale 5hr

Sounds like a great idea Paul, but I'm a bit dubious about your ascent and descent times - if you remember it took about 7 hours to get a group of 14 up and back down Scafell - only very fit cachers would be able to do it in 3.5 - most mortals tend to plod!

The times are about right. I took a mixed group of people from my work up Snowdon in June from Pen-y-Pass. We did it in two hours and 5 minutes and we had a good rate of ascent so I think 2.5 is accurate. I am definitely up for this. Put my name down for it. A definate. I'd suggest the bank holiday at the end of May. Weather a bit better, and its my 30th!! :( But you're the organiser. You say when, and I'll be there!

A great idea!

Thanks for your initial response, what’s the response to Summer Public Holiday weekend Fri 1 Jun to Mon 4 Jun 07?

Don't be put off by the timeline I've posted, it is an example of a 24 hour attack on the challenge but I'd prefer to work to a realistic timeline that would widen attendance. However, using the timeline posted here's putting it into perspective based on the above possible date:

Sat 2 Jun

08:00 depart Achintee ascend Ben Nevis

12:00 depart summit

14:00 depart Achintee for England

19:00 depart Wasdale ascend Scafell Pike

21:30 depart summit

22:30 depart Wasdale for Wales

Sun 3 Jun

02:30 depart Pen-y-Pass ascend Snowdon

05:00 depart summit

06:30 arrive Pen-y-Pass

Again that’s based on completion in 24 hours. For it to be viable as a “challenge” I believe it must keep rolling through to completion. Take a look the timeline, add the odd hour in here and there and it will be clear that Scafell Pike will be a night ascent. Given that the whole event would be subject to safe weather conditions, a night ascent on Scafell Pike in favourable conditions should be no cause for concern! Something that becomes a lot clearer is there are many physical and technical challenges to this proposed event! Given that we would be going at a more sedate pace Snowdon would clearly be a daylight ascent!

Thanks Hazel for your reply. Should the Summer Public Holiday weekend be accepted, a camping event in Snowdonia would provide a starting point on the Friday to park a few cars and arrange a minibus to depart for Scotland. Could we have some response please from our Geocamping community?!

That is the same weekend as the Carry On camping event.

I'm aware that some might wish to go to both. Then again, weekends, especially bank holiday weekends are at a premium!

HOWEVER... there IS ALREADY a camping weekend planned for the 29th June - 1st July at Snowdonia Park Campsite... I know some folks were already planning an ascent of Snowdon that weekend...

Pop Up Pirate is organising that weekend - might be a better idea to combine the two???

Edited by HazelS

Sat 2 Jun

08:00 depart Achintee ascend Ben Nevis

12:00 depart summit

14:00 depart Achintee for England

19:00 depart Wasdale ascend Scafell Pike

21:30 depart summit

22:30 depart Wasdale for Wales

Sun 3 Jun

02:30 depart Pen-y-Pass ascend Snowdon

05:00 depart summit

06:30 arrive Pen-y-Pass

Pauls timings I think are a bit out as the party I was in a couple of years ago hit the summit of Scafell at around midnight. We also started the other side of Wasdale and the van then went to the large car park at Wasdale to pick up. We did however get 2 (fit)members of a 12 man team back down to Pen-y Pass by 8am so completing all three within 24 hours.

But we were not caching.

Also remember, that mini buses are not the fastest means of transport. Bring head torches as you will need them over Scafell. Book your self into a decent hotel in Fort William the night before....you will need a decent nights sleep beforehand.

Timeline comments agreed but I stress they are purely a guideline to put the idea into some sort of perspective. Accepted we'll not be running up each mountain nor travelling between in Subaru Imprezas!

Thanks again Hazel! I would like to go with the camping weekend of Fri 29 Jun til Sun 1 Jul as that will:

:) not clash with the carryon camping event effectively zapping some of the interest in the challenge event

:rolleyes: give us the benefit of the Friday park and return on Sunday

:anicute: generate further interest and participation in the supporting event

Interested in booking a long weekend holiday? We'll need to get the date squared away at this eary point to avoid any further potential clashes!

Edited by Pyoung1s

To suggest a slightly lower-pressure alternative; Another interpretation of the Three Peaks in 24 Hours Rules say you need to be at the top of all three mountains within 24-hours. Thus the clock doesn't start running until you leave the top of Ben Nevis, and so long as you reach the tops of Snowdon and Scafell Pike inside 24 hours, you've completed the challenge. So the climb down from Snowdon -as well as the climb up Ben Nevis- can be done outside the time limit. This would make the event more accessible to those who'd like to take part at a more leisurely pace.

Beginning of June was promising for me as I am off that weekend, would only have had to organise something for the wee yin as Mrs HH is working. The end of June beginning of July is however out, as not only am I working but so is Mrs HH.

:rolleyes::P:):anicute:

Edited to add that the 2nd of June is my daughters (HayLin) birthday, I wasn't thinking, I like to spend the time with her on her birthday.

Kewfriend, none of this is an excuse, I would really like to do this challenge, as I am capable of doing it. :)

Edited by Haggis Hunter

To suggest a slightly lower-pressure alternative; Another interpretation of the Three Peaks in 24 Hours Rules say you need to be at the top of all three mountains within 24-hours. Thus the clock doesn't start running until you leave the top of Ben Nevis, and so long as you reach the tops of Snowdon and Scafell Pike inside 24 hours, you've completed the challenge. So the climb down from Snowdon -as well as the climb up Ben Nevis- can be done outside the time limit. This would make the event more accessible to those who'd like to take part at a more leisurely pace.

In addition for snowdon attrition may be an issue, perhaps the rather boring but easy stroll from Llanberis would be an easier end to the day

We could all go to petes eats afterwards. If that was the final venue we may be up for the last bit yumm yumm

In addition for snowdon attrition may be an issue, perhaps the rather boring but easy stroll from Llanberis would be an easier end to the day

We could all go to petes eats afterwards. If that was the final venue we may be up for the last bit yumm yumm

I assume that if the two events are to be combined that the Sunday event will be at the Snowdonia Park pub where the original camping event was to be held, as it will be big enough for walkers, campers, general cachers and any lardies!!!!

Obviously I'm treadding on toes here, as this is Pop Up Pirate's event, and I'msure he'll be along soon enough to liaise with!!

Let's keep the events seperate! I wouldn't want to tread on anyones toes either! I see no requirement to amalgamate the events as each would be viable in their own right. Could I have verification from approvers that in principle the following would be acceptable subject to final approval:

1. Camping event 29 Jun-1 Jul

2. 3 peaks challenge event 30 Jun-1 Jul

3. 3 peaks support event 30 Jun-1 Jul

Thanks again for everyones input. I wouldn't want to put anyone off by pressing for a 24 hour completion albeit at the summits but given that the group would have to start from a car park and return to a car park the information given so far is good for end to end planning purposes. It's a challenge but I would like the whole group to achieve reaching each summit but most importantly to enjoy the 3 peaks experience! Going back to my opening post the basic rule of completing this challenge is that each individual participant must reach the summit trigpoints. I see there being time and opportunity for bagging some of the mountain caches we'll be walking past!

That's the challenge! We've had a number of events now taking on the mountains individually so is anyone, apart from myself of course(!), interested in take on all three? I'd like to open this up now so that I can pick up on any potential interest and once Christmas is out of the way get cracking on necessarily arranging something. Here's my considerations:

I suggest avoid going for a 24 hour in order to open the challenge up to more participants. However if there's enough interest.....!

Two events, one logable as those who complete the challenge, the other for those who participate either on individual mountains or meet/support along the way.

Primary event would start at Achintee for Ben Nevis ascent and finish at Pen-y-Pass for Snowdon descent. Each participant must reach the trigpoint pillar on each summit!

If there's enough interest I would look into funding for the hire of a minibus and ask for a supporting volunteer to drive.

I have already engaged in discussion for the provision of web based satellite tracking whereby people can view progress of the challenge on each mountain and along the route in between. This would greatly help supporters physically link up along the way.

A date would need to be set in consideration of one day to meet in Scotland, two days for the event and one day to get home from Wales. So a Public Holiday weekend perhaps?

To help your consideration here is a rough outline of a typical 3 peaks challenge:

Achintee to Wasdale 5hr

Total time 22.5 hrs but then we if we're not going for a 24 hour challenge we'll have time to bag one or two caches along the way!

What's your thoughts?

Got a real urge to do this, but once I had a lay down on the couch the urge went away. :)

Could I have verification from approvers that in principle the following would be acceptable subject to final approval:

Before I can move forward to establish a date could I please have clarification from our reviewers on this? The way I see it is the camping event is taking place in Snowdonia whereas the challenge is taking place across three countries albeit finishing in the same general location as the camping event. If the support event would not be allowed to run in parallel with the challenge then they would have to be almalgamated into one single event.

:D I have pencilled in the beginning and end of June so that work won't interfere. So you can definitely count me in!

As I live in Cumbria it would be great if I could either meet you in Scotland or be picked up on the way so that I don't have to travel down just to come back up again but as I will be leaving from Wales at the end I suppose it may be good to have a car there! :( mmm we'll see!

Could I have verification from approvers that in principle the following would be acceptable subject to final approval:

Before I can move forward to establish a date could I please have clarification from our reviewers on this? The way I see it is the camping event is taking place in Snowdonia whereas the challenge is taking place across three countries albeit finishing in the same general location as the camping event. If the support event would not be allowed to run in parallel with the challenge then they would have to be almalgamated into one single event.

For a Event to be Published it has to be able to stand on it's own merits. The camping Event and the Challenge Event can stand on their own merits, but the support one can not so would not be published.

Also please remember that the Challenge event has to be open to all, and not those actually taking part in the challenge its self.

So a suggestion might be to follow the current consensus for logging CITO events, were those doing the clean up log a Attended and those who just attend the Social log a Found. In the case of the Challenge, those who physically take part by attempting to complete the challenge log a Attended and everyone else logs a Found.

Would love to attend but as someone who's body currently resembles Mr Stay-Puffed the Marshmallow man after recovering from cancer surgery I would just slow you all down :(

By the way, my consultant told me that he thinks caching is the best invention since sliced bread :D:D

If I can find the way and means to get there, being car-less, I am happy to offer any help if so required. If you are all walking very slowly, I'll join in! :(

Many thanks for everyone’s input on this especially to Deceangi for clarification of event cache criteria. The challenge event will be somewhat coincidental to PopUpPirate's organised camping event but we can liaise closer to the date regarding promotion of Geocampers meeting/joining the challenge on Snowdon. Obviously I will be looking to support the camping event by presenting a heap of collapsed bodies at the campsite “well” on the Sunday for resuscitation!

I'll submit the event cache for approval in due time but it will follow this outline:

Fri 29 Jun til Mon 2 Jul 2007.

Start Achintee Ben Nevis finish Pen-y-Pass Snowdon.

The event will be open to all, the criteria to log will be to sign the event logbook which will be carried by one of the group throughout the event (please don't try and flag us down during driven sections!).

The challenge will be to complete Ben Nevis, Scafell Pike and Snowdon on a non stop journey over the weekend of the event and as part of the challenge group.

Completion of the challenge will be those who are present with the group at the summit trig pillar of each mountain.

The challenge will not be against the clock but starting from Achintee around 08:00 Sat 30 Jun the group would be expected to complete the challenge by having descended Snowdon by sunset Sun 1 Jul.

All those completing the challenge will get their names entered on the cache listing and I'll probably knock up some sort of cheap and nasty certificate!

Support:

Provisional arrangements are in place for web based satellite tracking providing the Geocaching community the ability to monitor the group’s progress throughout the challenge both on foot and in vehicle.

Subject to funding the provision of a minibus to transport from Snowdonia to Achintee and return, otherwise individuals will be responsible mutually within the challenge group to agree transport arrangements and drivers.

Seats on the minibus will obviously be limited and will be first come first serve basis, the list is already open! I will book and confirm the number of seats in good time nearer the date.

I would like a volunteer driver who will not be participating in the challenge.

Those for whom the above Snowdonia plan is not convenient, transport arrangements will be their own responsibility.

I would at this early point like to make it clear that the provision of the minibus is something I am personally prepared to fund out of my own pocket. Just because I've made the offer doesn't make me responsible for arranging transport for the whole group.

Get your boots on, you’ve got 6 months to months to get prepared!

I'll make a point of not giving blood three days before this one :wub:

Happy to pay my share of minibus rental and fuel. If I could get a lift from home (or the M1/M40, depending on which route you're taking up Paul) that'd be great. Also looking for corner of a tent to curl up and feel like I've been hit with sticks in :(

Not perhaps it because I am daft in the head (as well) but I like the idea of the challenge.

With months to prepare I trust I can be fit enough, but with such sleep deprivation someone else better do the driving. Perhaps we should look at renting a minibus (or two) so we can park at the either the first or last climb. If we can persuade a gullible mug (with an old style licence) to drive then it should not cost that much.

Anyway, subject to problems, count me in.

Support:

Provisional arrangements are in place for web based satellite tracking providing the Geocaching community the ability to monitor the group’s progress throughout the challenge both on foot and in vehicle.

How cool is that? How does that work then? Will someone have to walk with a backpack like soldiers from WWII with a massive bendy aerial and a bloke shouting down a phone / GPS thing? :)

Can't wait for the walk. Started telling people that I've signed up for it so there's no dropping out now!