What would you do?

Woodlit

I searched some old topics, but peoples opinions change over time.

What would you do, if tomorrow you woke up and geocaching was no more. If for some reason we just had to stop. The website shut down, and so did the forums. (heaven forbid)

And there was nobody around to get answers from.

It really is awesome to see just how big a part of everybody's lives geocaching is. I find myself looking forward more and more to the weekends, to have enough time to get out there and do some caching. I'm sure other people do to, but I also find myself neglecting other things because i'm busy thinking about something caching-related.

Would everybody drift over to Waymarking? Or go out and buy bigger TV's? Or just take longer folding the laundry...

I don't know what i'd do. Work some overtime i guess, save for a nice house.

Wouldn't have any time to feel sorry for myself; I'd have to act as a grief couselor for my wife and friends. :surprise:

Seriously though, it was similar interests that got me in to this. I love to hike and camp, and I'd still do those things, and I've met lots of great people through this sport that I share other interests with, so hopefully I'd still keep in touch with those great folks based on our other common interests. I'd probably not hold off having a glass of wine with lunch though, since I wouldn't have to worry about it throwing off my searching ability.

I'd like to think i'd still go hiking, but it would be a difficult choice now. Cut the grass, or go hiking? In that case i think i'd cut the grass. But if the question was cut the grass or go caching? Caching would win by a long shot.

I know i'd still enjoy the outdoors, but i'm sure it would be a lot less often.

What would you do, if tomorrow you woke up and geocaching was no more. If for some reason we just had to stop. The website shut down, and so did the forums. (heaven forbid)

I'd simply continue on with the site I'm using to place my newest caches. I'd simply list the ones listed here on that site.

Besides, several new sites would pop up. These might be global ventures, but I suspect the most successful ones would be the regional ones. Really, how hard would it be to create a basic site to share cache data? I'd bet someone would create extensions to popular forum software in order to list caches and allow other sites to use it for free.

That's not to mention you can hide a cache and write it up directly in GSAK--then simply share your GSAK file with friends.

Oh, I'm sure there would be a huge contingent boo-hooing over the loss of massive numbers of easy, numbers-building caches. There would even be major "disagreements" on alternative sites as these folks try to invade communities that don't care for that sort of thing.

Regardless, I suspect Groundspeak failing would only weed out the less dedicated enthusiast in the long run. The rest would adjust and move on.

If, for instance, the satellites were no longer available for use from the general public and we could no longer get coordinates on our GPS's.

Then, I would probably end up doing letterboxing or its equivalent so that I could continue to search. You don't need a GPS to do a letterbox.

In any event, I would definitley have to find some way to do a hunt. It's the thrill of the chase.

I took the OP's hypothetical to be asking what we would do if the game itself was forced to end, not just GC.com. This would negate some answers like 'I would hire Jeremy's guys and start a website called NewGC.com.'

Rather, I think the OP asks us what we would do instead of geocaching.

Here's a hypothetical situation I can think of: what if you were to wake up tomorrow and Selective Availability were turned back on, meaning our GPSrs were back to 300+ meter accuracy? Would I do anything different? Aside from no longer finding caches along the way, I'd probably be enjoying the same locations I was before, hiking the same trails, and taking vacations in most of the same spots. It would mean I'd have to find another way to keep track of my travels, maybe a blog, a journal, or a map and highlighter.

If, for instance, the satellites were no longer available for use from the general public and we could no longer get coordinates on our GPS's.

Then, I would probably end up doing letterboxing or its equivalent so that I could continue to search. You don't need a GPS to do a letterbox.

In any event, I would definitley have to find some way to do a hunt. It's the thrill of the chase.

I agree and I didn't think of letterboxing when I posted my response. I need to update mine to:

• golf
  • Wherigo
  • letterboxing

All three are about looking for something that I don't know where is.

Kind of hard to understand how that could happen if Waymarking and Wherigo is still viable.

Let's not confuse Geocaching and geocaching.

Dude, it was hypothetical.

'What would you do if there was no geocaching?'

Terracaching? Navicaching? SissyCaching?

Also, "Let's not confuse Geocaching and geocaching."

That's not to mention letterboxing is not restrictive with its clues. There is nothing saying you can't post any clue you want to find the box, and that includes grid coordinates.

Edited by CoyoteRed
Kind of hard to understand how that could happen if Waymarking and Wherigo is still viable.

Let's not confuse Geocaching and geocaching.

Dude, it was hypothetical.

'What would you do if there was no geocaching?'

Terracaching? Navicaching? SissyCaching?

Also, "Let's not confuse Geocaching and geocaching."

That's not to mention letterboxing is not restrictive with its clues. There is nothing saying you can't post any clue you want to find the box, and that includes grid coordinates.

Why are you trying to suck the fun out of this thread?

The OP clearly stated 'geocaching'. This covers Terracaching, Navicaching, Sissycaching, Pepsicaching, Sortacaching, Alternacaching, etc.

Edited by sbell111

If GEOcaching is looking for caches on the earth that someone else has hidden, what is SISSYcaching?

I hope there's no charge to play.

Much to our embarrassment we recently discovered what "sissy" meant in a more adult, and a lot less family friendly, context. However, if one thinks of "sissy" in the context of the caches my wife likes to place and find, if you can't keep up...

For her, I don't think it's ever too deep, too high, too hard, too far, too wet, too dark, too late, too early, too hot, or too cold.

And, no, there's no charge, except for maybe being the subject of a bit of heckling.

I searched some old topics, but peoples opinions change over time.

It really is awesome to see just how big a part of everybody's lives geocaching is. I find myself looking forward more and more to the weekends, to have enough time to get out there and do some caching. I'm sure other people do to, but I also find myself neglecting other things because i'm busy thinking about something caching-related.

Would everybody drift over to Waymarking? Or go out and buy bigger TV's? Or just take longer folding the laundry...

I don't know what i'd do. Work some overtime i guess, save for a nice house.

In keeping with what I interpret the OP's intent - I'd prolly watch a whole lot more TV. The whole reason I started GC'ing was b/c it was hiking with a destination. If there's no longer a destination, I won't be hiking.

--MGb

I took the OP's hypothetical to be asking what we would do if the game itself was forced to end, not just GC.com. This would negate some answers like 'I would hire Jeremy's guys and start a website called NewGC.com.'

Thats the spirit!

I guess an alternate way of asking my question is, what are your other hobbies? lol :(:(

I just thought the first one would render slightly different results.

edit: to many typos

Edited by Woodlit

I think I will go hiking or biking or camping or something to, do to get me outside. :(

Thats the spirit!

I guess an alternate way of asking my question is, what are your other hobbies? lol :(:(

I just thought the first one would render slightly different results.

My sincerest of apologies. I read it a bit differently.

Besides sitting on my butt in front of the computer, I like to explore. Letterboxing and geocaching has helped me re-discover this desire. I've found some pretty interesting locations, many of which are simply not suitable for publication so you won't be seeing them listed. Staying on the more legal side of urban exploration is very rewarding. Just getting out and seeing what I can see is something I like to do. I don't need geocaching to do that, but it certainly helps when I am able to share.

My GAWD!

What a horrible thought!

No geocaching, well, I... guess... I ...could SURVIVE.

But close the FORUMS??!!! ARRRRRGH, Oh the HUMANITY!

:(:P:P:mad::(:(:o:P:(:P:mad:

THE FOLLOWING ERROR(S) WERE FOUND

You have posted a message with more emoticons that this board allows. Please reduce the number of emoticons you've added to the message

hey, when did that start?

easy for me since I only had a couple months of caching before winter came. :(

I've been hiking for most of my life. I've only been hiking with a box full of broken plastic stuff at the end for a short time. It'd be pretty easy to go back to hiking without the box.

I'm addicted to this thing, but I've found most of the caches in interesting areas within easy travel of here, so I can still go hike the same areas even if the GPS sats were all shut down tomorrow.

So, the short answer would be that I'd probably spend more time hiking out in beautiful areas, and less time fighting the bizarre urge to drive across town to find a soggy film canister in a parking lot because I feel the need for a +1.