Best GPS for dual purpose Auto/ Trail

jacook

I am searching for a GPS unit which will meet my dual purpose needs 75% AUTO [road maps, voice prompts and blue tooth] and 25% trail use [geocaching - trails - downloading waypoints]

I would really appreciate some suggestions from the folks who have experience with this! thanks very much!!

IMO, you should get a dedicated auto unit unless you have a riding partner. Using a handheld for trips is an invitation to crash. Then, for trail and such, get an inexpensive unit with no bells and whistles (live compass and barometer), like a Magallan 210 or various Garmin units. Be sure it has a PC interface.

IMO, you should get a dedicated auto unit unless you have a riding partner. Using a handheld for trips is an invitation to crash. Then, for trail and such, get an inexpensive unit with no bells and whistles (live compass and barometer), like a Magallan 210 or various Garmin units. Be sure it has a PC interface.

I second that enthusiastically!

I second that enthusiastically!

Not only that -- it's often much cheaper to buy two devices! The 60csx with maps for both uses costs much more than one simple for geocaching and one for the car. At least in Sweden.

I'd get a handheld and some form of dash mount (I personally use the Garmin beltclip button back for the GPSr and a universal beltclip dash mount).

The screens are smaller, but I have no issue in reading off the direction when prompted to by the beeps or watching the feet count down when getting close to a park and grab :(. The ease with which you can park and grab the GPSr off the dash, switch maps if need be, and go hunting is great.

I recommend the 76Cx or 60Cx. I've had a 76C and now a 60CSx and find them to be great units for dual use. I don't miss having the voice prompts for directions since I find the zoom-in turn diagrams to be more accurate and faster to comprehend. I also don't like having to deal with two separate devices. I never leave valuables in the car so one GPS unit is preferable.

And finally, the SiRF chip is superb for under canopy use, so it's ideal for hiking, 'caching, and fourwheeling.

The main benefit I see with auto-only units with large touch screens is that it's easier to type in search criteria when finding stores, services, and other geographic points. Their larger screen size is nice but I've found the 60's screen to be large enough.

GeoBC

This question comes up regularly and I always have the same reply: If you want a car unit with voice prompts (and you should) that can also work well as a hand-held for caching or other trail use, your only options are the Garmin Quest and Quest 2. Fortunately, these are excellent units at remarkably low prices. I prefer the Quest original as I do not mind loading maps and I like having the option of loading maps into an additional GPSr at no additional cost. It is also faster at POI searches as it has a smaller database to search, and it is much less expensive. Sorry, no Bluetooth. Several other newer features are also missing, but the Quest is a very serviceable device in and out of a car and, for now, there are no other options if you want voice prompts.

I have a Garmin 60CSX and a Streetpilot C330. I have City Select, Topo, Blue Chart and Topo 24K all loaded on the 60CSx (2gb card).

It's a toss-up whether you need both. If I were to start all over again I'd probably simplifiy my life and just get the 60CSx. It's okay for driving but the larger touch screen and voice prompts of the Streetpilot are really nice. One problem, however, in having two separate units is that you have to buy separate mapping software updates.

Another person here commented on getting a good mount. I couldn't agree more. A cheap vibrating mount makes any GPS virtually unreadable. Stay away from the type that use a flexible arm; they're awful if you're on a road that's even slightly rough. The Garmin windshield mount for the 60CSx is marginal in this regard. The windshield mount for the Streetpiot is much more stable.

In the end, it's all about how much money you feel like spending.

IMO, you should get a dedicated auto unit unless you have a riding partner. Using a handheld for trips is an invitation to crash.

I disagree. I use my Garmin 60csx with no issues and works great. One warning though that if you get a handheld get a mount - juggling it or having it propped up in an inconvenient place is asking for problems. It has to be mounted so it is conveniently visible for you.