Webcam Caches

But, isn't someone snagging a screenshot of you in front of the webcam equivalent to placing a record in the log? I mean, there's no more checking of the accuracy of log sheets than there is of webcam pics.

The only webcam cache I've logged also required you to send the cache owner an email with a word on a sign at the spot on which the webcam was pointing, as proof that you were there.

PS: I realize this thread is probably Yet Another Dead Horse Thread Topic.

Opinions, of course, differ. :surprise: I think that, in many cases, they are more difficult than many caches, and great fun. Logging a good picture can be quite challenging. But, of course, they do not have a log book. So what? I was all set to go for the last two within fifty miles, when they got archived. I was really bummed out. Oh, well. Enjoy your webcam hunt (and the icon).

I think webcam caches should be fine if there is a log to go with them. If you sign the log, you can take a webcam pic, just for fun. That's just what I think.

Yes, and by that token, I believe that so long as there is a container and a logbook, a cache owner is allowed to make a webcam pic an additional logging requirement (ALR), in which case it would be an ALR cache and must be classified as a ?/mystery cache.

BTW, I did my first webcam cache on March 2nd, just over a week ago. I was in Los Angeles for a week, and suddenly realized late one afternoon that my hotel was located mere yards from the Santa Monica Pier, site of a well-known webcam and also home of a well-known webcam cache. So, I called my wife Sue back at home, and hoofed it up to the webcam cache with my LA artist friend Moti, and in a matter of minutes, Sue had taken a screenshot of us from the webcam and filed a find log for the cache!

Some pretty neat ones listed on Waymarking.com

Problems on this site were several;

• hard to verify - the pictures were often at a distance and fuzzy

Who bothers to verify log signatures anyway?

• no physical container

And why is that a problem?

• difficult to "capture" a picture - needed a partner

Heaven forbid a cache should be challenging in any way.

• etc

etc what?

Hey,

I am kinda partial towards the webcams. My first cache less than two months ago was a webcam cache (2/19/07). I had to walk back from my car twice in the freezing cold because by daughter kept screwing it up and calling me on my cell phone to go back.

It was kind of a neat introduction to the sport (?) Hobby (?) obsession (?). Since then I have just found my 100th cache today, but I will always remember my first time with fondness (caching that is). :rolleyes:

PLMerry

Pete

I am a geocacher in Hong Kong. As of Febrary 2007, there were only 2 caches in Macau, a nearby small city yet listed as another region.

I asked a friend to help to take a picture using a webcam and tried to made a new webcam cache. Oops. Webcam caches are now grand-fathered. Nevertheless, I placed it as a waypoint in Waymarking.com.

But the feeling is just different, very different.

melodicbard

Some pretty neat ones listed on Waymarking.com

The OP never asked about a list of POI's, they were asking about webcam caches.

Unfortunatley webcams became a hassle for the reviewers because many tried to get caches placed where the picture was unusable, a little dot of a pic, etc. Virtuals had similar issues in that the type was often abused.

You probably won't see them back anytime soon, if ever. Jeremy was pretty firm on that. Enjoy the ones that are out their while you can.

Edited by baloo&bd

Hey all,

I have never done a webcam cache but i plan to this weekend. anyway, what do you think about them being taken off the list, never to be created again. i kinda wanna make one but i cant.

i dont know, just throwing it out there :rolleyes:

Via Con Ardillos (go with the squirrels in spanish)

I love this! You've never done a webcam but you also want to ban them but you also want to create your own???

Hey all,

I have never done a webcam cache but i plan to this weekend. anyway, what do you think about them being taken off the list, never to be created again. i kinda wanna make one but i cant.

i dont know, just throwing it out there :rolleyes:

Via Con Ardillos (go with the squirrels in spanish)

I love this! You've never done a webcam but you also want to ban them but you also want to create your own???

He wants to ban them? I don't see where he says that.

"What do you think about them being taken off the list, never to be created again" seems to me to be discussion of a ban.

I fixed your quote for you. You'd left off some words that changed the meaning.

He was asking your opinion on the fact that they've already been taken off the list of caches you're allowed to create, and no further web cam caches will be created (on this site).

I think it's a shame that they are disappearing, all good fun romping around looking barmy on a mobile (hey thats just normal in a days'caching for lots of us!) and a photo to remind you of it to boot. :P

Of course what does annoy me is seeing a webcam listed and finding it's not been working since October last year (October was an example). For me going and taking a pic cos the cam is down spoils these and the owners/reviewers need to monitor it and remove the non-working ones if the webcam is not going to be sorted out. Of the webcams I have done I think only 2 have really been proper up and running webcam pics. :rolleyes:

But then....

...this means we will lose the icons to go for completely. I wonder if the powers that be could come to a compromise and accept a change of coords if the owner of a non-working webcam can find another working one within a reasonable distance that the cache could be amended to keep them going. :rolleyes: