Does the 60csx really float

Pxtyson

Now the question is does anyone have proof of their 60csx floating or is it all speculation.

has anyone lost there gpsr in the drink?

has anyone had to go for a swim to catch there gpsr?

I haven't seen anyone say they have tested it yet. I have only had my 60csx since Friday and I am not gonna be the one to test it!

A member of the Michigan Geocaching Organization (MiGO) dropped their 60cs into a river, it did not float. But it was water tight and they did manage to retrieve it and it worked perfectly.

Garmin makes no claims that the 60 series floats, but they are waterproof. I would not count on it floating under any circumstances.

I would use the lanyard to attach it to your backpack, or you somehow if you are in or crossing water, because you float, but your gps doesn't.

Also a point was made at MiGO, that if it had floated, it would have gone downstream, but since it sunk to the bottom it moved slower downstream and the did find it.

Some people attach an empty water bottle to their gps so that it will float when canoeing or kayaking with it..

Just one hour ago this video did not even exist on my Digital Camcorder with firewire, and now its uploaded to Gooooooooggle videos now.

Here it is-> http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2361118443564888241

Great test! Thanks for "taking the plunge"!

Funny thing...I was listening to your voice and thought you sounded like a guy I know that grew up near Detroit. After watching the video, I looked at your profile and saw you are from that area too! You guys have the same manner of speaking (accent, inflection, whatever).

Quick question regarding this though... does the GPS still work after having done that?

I hope so... because that's the exact model that I have :)

But aww... I use NiMh batteries... so mine would be a sinker.

... but these batteries are rechargeable in 15 minutes, so I'm not about to change to Lithiums... because even if THOSE were also rechargeable... I'd need to buy a charger too :)

That, and I'm in Manitoba... not all that much in the way of water around me :blink:

I tested my 60CSx a while back with NiMh rechargables in still, room temp tap water. Result: very slight positive buoyancy; only the top of the antenna breaches the water. I suspect that in the ocean, the increased density of salt water would result in more buoyancy. Warm fresh water, and/or a moderate current might present problems. Additionally, finding a dark gray and black receiver in dark blue or gray water would not be easy.

I then tested with the unit wearing Garmin's neoprene protective case (with the clear vinyl window). Result: decidedly positive buoyancy. I suspect it would float in still water at any temp or salinity, but strong currents might cause sinking, and visibility is still a problem.

For the final test, I attached a bright yellow key-ring flotation fob ($2 from West Marine). This gives the unit very positive buoyancy and high visibility. I am confident that this configuration would float in any still water condition with any type of battery. I suppose heavy whitewater rapids could tear the float off, but that's beyond the scope of my testing.

My preference when sailing is to use the neoprene case for protection, and the key fob for buoyancy and visibility.

Note, the testing also confirmed the waterproofing of the 60CSx. No water got past the seals in any test.

GW

Edited by Glenn W

Dude, I think you might want to scrub out that bathtub. :(

The bathtub has been completely destroyed by a sewer backup, with the glazing completely removed by draino or toiletbowl cleaner.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Very interesting but now, test it again in salty water ( 35 g. of salt for one liter pure water ) .... :P

I would not want to try the drop test using salt water on my $449 GPS unit, sorry.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Quick question regarding this though... does the GPS still work after having done that?

I hope so... because that's the exact model that I have :(

This is why I did not have my $449 Map60Cx turned on, and I left batteries out until I thought it was safe to put them back in.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Now the question is does anyone have proof of their 60csx floating or is it all speculation.

has anyone lost there gpsr in the drink?

has anyone had to go for a swim to catch there gpsr?

Photographic proof posted in these forums.

They float but barely with regular battries. They float better with lithium. They never float as good as the 76.

Never did try this with my older Map60C, but I had given that to a friend, so I can't compare it with my new Map60Cx, and I am guessing the x-unit might be a tad heavier with it's SiRFstarIII chipset, but I might be wrong, also I intentionally dropped it hard, to see if it would stay down.

Last summer some friends and I did the "tubing trip of death" down a river where the water level had become a little too low. I took the 60csx and lashed the unit to me -- a good thing because after a set of particularly hairy rapids it was hanging down below the tube. I reeled it in and it was just fine.

Total losses for the trip: 1 flask + whisky, 1 pr sunglasses, 1 titanium wedding ring, holed 2 tubes, and lost 2d6 San.