Looking to buy a street pilot which ones are the best

I just bought a refurbished/ newly overhauled Streetpilot 2610 from TigerGPS for about $380 a couple weeks ago. It's nothing fancy (no MP3, live traffic, satellite music), but it is waterproof and you can load the entire North America detail maps on a 2GB compactflash card. No hard drive means no worries if you're going to mount it to a motorcycle like I'm going to. Touch screen and remote control are handy to use, and it will take some time figuring out to use it, but it's a solid street routing GPS. It comes shipped with Version 7 City Navigator, but you get a free upgrade to Version 8 from Garmin (released April 2006). I haven't hooked it up to my bike yet, that'll have to wait until spring, but so far using it in the car it works great.

I just bought a refurbished/ newly overhauled Streetpilot 2610 from TigerGPS for about $380 a couple weeks ago. It's nothing fancy (no MP3, live traffic, satellite music), but it is waterproof and you can load the entire North America detail maps on a 2GB compactflash card. No hard drive means no worries if you're going to mount it to a motorcycle like I'm going to. Touch screen and remote control are handy to use, and it will take some time figuring out to use it, but it's a solid street routing GPS. It comes shipped with Version 7 City Navigator, but you get a free upgrade to Version 8 from Garmin (released April 2006). I haven't hooked it up to my bike yet, that'll have to wait until spring, but so far using it in the car it works great.

I just ordered this same unit from TigerDirect.com...haven't received it yet. I was looking at TigerGPS as well, but they are in-state for me and thus I would have had to pay sales tax.

Incidentally, I asked the TigerDirect salesman if they are an "authorized Garmin dealer" before making my purchase because Garmin requires you to purchase from an authorized dealer for warranty and software update purposes. The salesperson said that TigerDirect is in fact an authorized dealer, so I placed my order.

Just to be sure (obviously, a little late) I contacted Garmin and much to my surprise TigerDirect is NOT an authorized Garmin dealer. The Garmin CS rep however said they would honor the warranty and allow me to upgrade to V8 at no charge!

I should have the GPS by the end of the week. This will be my first non-aviation GPS.

By the way, here is the list of Garmin authorized online retailers. TigerGPS is not listed.

Did you have any problem registering and upgrading the City Navigator software?

TIA.

Tipsy

I am looking to buy a street pilot for my husband for christmas, any ideas or suggestions which ones are the best? Im not looking to spend tons of money, but would like a good one. Thanks!

We really like our SP 2620. The 2gb hard drive holds the whole CNV8 with room left over. They should be way down in price with all the new ones on the market now.

We really like our SP 2620. The 2gb hard drive holds the whole CNV8 with room left over. They should be way down in price with all the new ones on the market now.

Just be aware if you plan to use the unit on a motorcycle, the 2620 is not a good choice because the hard drive does not do well with the vibrations.

The 2610 is essentially the same unit except it stores the database on a compact flash (CF) card rather than an internal HD (this is why I chose the 2610).

Tipsy

According to this link from Garmin TigerGPS is an authorized dealer. I did have a problem setting up the software on the computer and using the unlock code, which was probably my fault, but a quick call to Garmin solved it. The tech said the the DVD and GPS serial numbers matched, I got the program loaded, and he walked me through the steps to order the upgraded City Select V8 software. I haven't received it as Garmin was expecting a new batch to come in around Dec 3-4.

According to this link from Garmin TigerGPS is an authorized dealer. I did have a problem setting up the software on the computer and using the unlock code, which was probably my fault, but a quick call to Garmin solved it. The tech said the the DVD and GPS serial numbers matched, I got the program loaded, and he walked me through the steps to order the upgraded City Select V8 software. I haven't received it as Garmin was expecting a new batch to come in around Dec 3-4.

Yes, you're right. I was looking on the wrong list.

My unit should arrive tomorrow, but I'll be traveling until Friday. Looking forward to setting it up and trying it out.

Hopefully will have no problems with the registration and update :surprise:

Tipsy