Which Coin Company

Cachanova

I'm sure this has been beaten to death. I'm working on a coin and am trying to decide between two coin company's to make it. They are allaboutchallengecoins.com and oakcoins.com If anyone has ordered from both I would love to hear what you that of them in comparison. Or even if you have used one and not the other I'd love to hear about the quality. My quote from oakcoins.com was less than allaboutchallengecoins.com and it is bothering me that it is so much cheaper. So i'd apreciate some feedback and comparison if possible.

Thanks

Cachanova

Edited by Flying Spaghetti Monster

I'm sure this has been beaten to death. I'm working on a coin and am trying to decide between two coin company's to make it. They are allaboutchallengecoins.com and oakcoins.com If anyone has ordered from both I would love to hear what you that of them in comparison. Or even if you have used one and not the other I'd love to hear about the quality. My quote from oakcoins.com was less than allaboutchallengecoins.com and it is bothering me that it is so much cheaper. So i'd apreciate some feedback and comparison if possible.

Thanks

Cachanova

You cannot go wrong with Oakcoins. Christian and Sara will answer questions, give you everything you need to make a quality and affordable coin and pin to boot.

Edited by Flying Spaghetti Monster

I'll have to say my exerperience with oak coins for my first coin was excellent. Sara stuck with me after I hammered her to death with question after question. LOL Coins turned out beautiful. I'm going to reorder through their service for my next coin for sure.

If I was seeing this post, I would choose Oakcoins. I will tell you though. I have had 2 coins made with All About Challenge Coins and both are very nice and the turn around time was good. Make sure to compare apples and apples. Al About has a few things included in price that others don't. Like all the design and artwrk, shipping and such.

I couldn't have done my coins without Steve at Hogwildstuff!! :) I really couldn't! I asked him to do a very unusual release with a lot of conditions. He took on the challenge & came up with ideas to make it even better. (Without it costing me extra.) He got me hooked up with an artist. He took care of all the details of minting. He got me an awesome quote. He really went above & beyond!!! His customer service can't be beat! I will use him again! Steve made the whole process painless for me! That was what I was looking for. Not only was it painless & easy, he would keep me posted at all times. He would answer questions before I could think of them! Does that pretty well sum up how happy I was with the job he did?! :blink:

While I appreciate your need for information, please do not use these forums as a battle-ground for price shopping.

I've removed your comments in the OP (Opening Post, in this case) about the pricing.

If you want to solicit feedback via these forums, you are free to do so. But keep the pricing information that you get confidential - I'm sure the manufacturers would appreciate it also. Posting quotes will only lead to price wars which are not allowed on these boards.

Thank you.

While I appreciate your need for information, please do not use these forums as a battle-ground for price shopping.

I've removed your comments in the OP (Opening Post, in this case) about the pricing.

If you want to solicit feedback via these forums, you are free to do so. But keep the pricing information that you get confidential - I'm sure the manufacturers would appreciate it also. Posting quotes will only lead to price wars which are not allowed on these boards.

Thank you.

I wasn't trying to use this forum as a battle-ground for price shopping. My main concern was comparing apples to apples.

Do you always slap hands in front of everyone? I'd think that it would be more proffesional to send me a private message, of course I just did the same thing.

Thanks for fixing my post..

Cachanova

Thank you.

I wasn't trying to use this forum as a battle-ground for price shopping. My main concern was comparing apples to apples.

Do you always slap hands in front of everyone? I'd think that it would be more proffesional to send me a private message, of course I just did the same thing.

Thanks for fixing my post..

Cachanova

Now don't be so sensitive. :)

It wasn't hand slap, you were slapped with a wet noodle. :blink:

That wasn't a hand-slap. A hand-slap would have been a PM with an "official warning" about posting.

This is something that comes up every now and then and needs to be addressed to the general posters on this board. It's a reminder to not post information like that. Your post was used to teach and help others - since it's that time of year :)

I don't doubt your intentions on the post (meaning, I don't think you were deliberately TRYING to start a price war) why is why you didn't receive a PM with a warning.

Finally, on something like this, it would cause a lot of confusion if I had edited that post without commenting on why.

So, take it for what it was. A clarification on what is and isn't ok to post.

No harm, no foul.

I hope you get the information that you are looking for.

- FSM

That wasn't a hand-slap. A hand-slap would have been a PM with an "official warning" about posting.

This is something that comes up every now and then and needs to be addressed to the general posters on this board. It's a reminder to not post information like that. Your post was used to teach and help others - since it's that time of year :)

I don't doubt your intentions on the post (meaning, I don't think you were deliberately TRYING to start a price war) why is why you didn't receive a PM with a warning.

Finally, on something like this, it would cause a lot of confusion if I had edited that post without commenting on why.

So, take it for what it was. A clarification on what is and isn't ok to post.

No harm, no foul.

I hope you get the information that you are looking for.

- FSM

Ya i'd hate to confuse the caching community any more than it already is. (LOL)

I tend to fly off the handle for no apparent reason. I'm under alot of stres lately. Team Jsam would probably vouche for me (they better).

I know I'm new but I will have a big announcement here in the next couple of days.

Thanks for the correction and I do believe I have aquired all the info I was trying to get.

Thanks

Cachanova

Well....here's a tough post!

I happen to be very fond of THREE coin companies! It's true - I'm a geocoin polygamist!

They are:

Coins and Pins

Oakcoins

Landsharkz

Not in any order - I like them all. This is based upon coins receieved and coins minted.

Coins and Pins - very good quality, early to jump into special geocaching needs (Geobone, Red-Handed)

Oakcoins - did the tracking for me for free on a coin I didn't even get made by them! This was in the "early" days and tracking wasn't as "set-up" as it is now - they helped a LOT. I also got my black nickel coins made with them very inexpensively and to a high quality.

Landsharkz - very good communication, nice products. They are very helpful and quick to answer questions and offer insight.

Sigh....I guess I'll have to create THREE new coins a year now!

Has anyone worked with the mint directly. I'm not interested in doing this but would like to know more about the people actually making the coins. Are there any places online to check the china mints out?

Thanks

We work directly with the Alaska Mint in Anchorage, Alaska, for the Alaska geocoins. The owners dabble in geocaching, too.

We have also worked with Oakcoins on geocaching and nongeocaching pin projects and were are very pleased with the results.

Workmanship in coins produced by many of the other companies listed in this post is also very nice. Contact a few coin makers, swap some e-mails with artwork ideas, get some quotes, and go with who you connect with best.

Odd how little things can sway how you go with. When I was working on my first coin I emailed every coin company I could find asking for details of prices etc.

Allaboutchallengecoins responded within minutes, with a proof that showed they totally understood what I was trying to portray. They have had the patience of Saints as we've changed our minds on a weekly basis and price wise I found little to choose between them and other companies.

Now to wait for the coins to arrive...

One think i've found in this search of information is that alot of these companys use the same Mint Company in China. After some serious conversations with different coin company's the important thing is to pick one you feel comfortable with. I think the key to a great coin is a good mint company and GREAT art work.

Thanks for everyones input. Tomorrow will be an exciting day for me.

Thanks

Cachanova

OK.. I spoke way too soon. The company I spoke so highly of....I've changed my mind...

Here's the gist of my email just before I paid. I've removed all prices form the e-mails below...

-------------------------------------------------

Hi Richard..

Can I confirm a final price..

Qty. 350 – 1.75" Custom 3mm Thick Challenge Coins - $ x.xx each

FREE - Artwork and Design Services

FREE - Setup

FREE - UPS Air Shipping

14-Day Production Time

$ xxx.xx Mold Fee

Total: $ xxxx.xx

On top of that there is a fee for tracking numbers? . Which I make

$xx.xx in total.

Making a total to pay you of.... $xxxx.xx

Can you confirm that please?

And have I missed anything obvious? !

Steve

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

And their response.

Hello Steve,

That is correct. There are no other fees involved with us.

If you have any questions please feel free to email or call.

------------------

Then today........

Customer service has brought to my attention that the free shipping does not

apply to orders outside the Continental United States. Howe ever you would

receive some credit towards you shipping. Cost for shipping is $xxx.xx to

your door via UPS insured. Package will weigh approximately 46-47lbs.

------------

Thats an extra $1 per coin almost, that I didn't account for.....

Off to write 147 Emails... and find a better supplier.... anyone know of a good one??

------------------

Ok they finally phoned back and agreed to honour the original price... even so... not too impressed.

Edited by Birdman-of-liskatraz