Painting over duck-style tape?

LCAS-271

While cleaning out some cabinets I found a couple of plastic peanut butter jars lying around. After throughly cleaning them I thought I'd try to make them into caches. I have a nearly full roll of camo duck-style tape but would rather paint them.

Has anyone tried painting over tape and if so how did it hold up. I'm looking to make the jars a little bit sturdier and also add abit of a personal touch like my other camo painted containers. Is it a good idea or should I stay away from it?

LCAS-271

Standard DUCT tape does not really hold up very well when exposed to UV & weather as the plastic outer layer will peel off of the webbed backing . . . the cloth material camo tape serves well here AND it can be painted.

Another idea is to find some weather resilient spray-on glue/adhesive and attach the material to the container that way. One might roll the container on the ground while the glue is wet to make it match surroundings perfectly . . . hmmmm, custom camo!

Vital to ensure that NO odor of original contents remain as critters with very sensitive noses will tear you cache apart looking for p-nut butter, they love it!

(DUCK tape (trade name) does not work well for duct work)

the greater problem may be with the fact that you are reusing peanut butter jars - if you are not VERY careful to clean them thoroughly of any trace of the peanut oil - including traces you may not be able to detect - they are likely to become the victims of critters seeking food. Be sure to soak them for at least 24 hours in a solution of bleach (a couple of tablespoons per gallon should be sufficient)

If I were you, I would skip using the "feather covered tape" altogether.

(DUCK tape (trade name) does not work well for duct work)

the greater problem may be with the fact that you are reusing peanut butter jars - if you are not VERY careful to clean them thoroughly of any trace of the peanut oil - including traces you may not be able to detect - they are likely to become the victims of critters seeking food. Be sure to soak them for at least 24 hours in a solution of bleach (a couple of tablespoons per gallon should be sufficient)

My Owl Cache used a peanut butter jar, and a Bear mauled my Owl, as well as the PB Jar.

If you want a far more effective technique for painting plastic containers, try this:

I clean the outside of the container with glass cleaner.

I spray the entire container with Dupont "Spray Adhesive."

I coat the entire container with dirt/sand from the area i'm placing the cache.

I spray an additional coat of adhesive onto the cache container, and repeat the "dirt stage."

Final Results, with added mosses and grass:

1378cbbd-6da6-41d3-b021-4635bd46ab09.jpg

While cleaning out some cabinets I found a couple of plastic peanut butter jars lying around. After throughly cleaning them I thought I'd try to make them into caches. I have a nearly full roll of camo duck-style tape but would rather paint them.

Has anyone tried painting over tape and if so how did it hold up. I'm looking to make the jars a little bit sturdier and also add abit of a personal touch like my other camo painted containers. Is it a good idea or should I stay away from it?

LCAS-271

I have been using the Krylon Fushion paint made for plastics and it seems to work awesome!!! This particular paint really does bind well to plastic surfaces. I have used the dark green color on several different brand plastic containers and have been very happy.

Since you have multiples, make your own experiment. Use duck (brand!) cammo tape on one, spray paint another, glue dirt on a third. hide them all and see how it goes.

I personally prefer the duck brand cammo tape on a PB jar. It adds an extra level of protection, and in most environments that stuff makes a container almost invisible. Spray paint has a tendency to flake off from plastic after it's been out for awhile.

How does the glued dirt hold up? I imagine that after a few rains, all you have is a PB jar with glue on it.

It works fine after getting wet. The first layer of dirt bonds to the glue, creating a textured surface. After spraying the textured surface with more adhesive, the first layer will hold even more dirt. Now I have a nice surface that I can paint with drab camo colors.

It is far more resilient than paint on plastic, which always flakes off when my containers get removed from their brushy hiding spots.

right now I am experimenting with concrete patch compound to make 'rocks' out of plastic containers - the idea is to make them less obviously round or square - once that is done, I will probably try to paint them to look like natural rocks - this kind of approach may work well with your jars - once the peanut butter smell is well cleaned out.

(oops - spelling errors!)

Edited by OHMIKY