Memory Map on Pocket Pc ?

dgc808

Hi All, I have just purchased a Pocket Pc and i am in the process of trying to get memory map installed and trying to load some maps of my local area for Geocaching purposes (wanting to go paperless). Manged to install Memory Map OS version 5 onto my Pocket Pc but not sure how to transfer maps to the Pocket pc ? Would like to get a map with all the caches in my area ! Any help greatly received.

Cheers DGC808

Hi PopUpPirate, I tried what you have suggested and it says it will take 7 hours to transfer the current map to Memory Map on my Pocket Pc (Surely this cant be right) ?

Cheers DGC808 :santa:

All in Memory Map on the PC :

First time :

Click PDA > Install Pocket Navigator

Then to send maps :

Click PDA > Send Map To PDA

To send waypoints, caches, routes, tracks :

Click PDA > Export Data To PDA

You will probably want to do :

Click GPS > Export to GPS > Marks

Hi PopUpPirate, I tried what you have suggested and it says it will take 7 hours to transfer the current map to Memory Map on my Pocket Pc (Surely this cant be right) ?

Cheers DGC808 :santa:

I saw this issue on a PDA the other day - turned out the SD card in the PDA was a "normal" speed card, not a hi speed card.

So we tried a comparison, using the same laptop and PDA, the normal speed card said it was going to take 3/4 hour my hi speed card coped with the same transfer in 2 mins !!!!!

The speed of upload can depend very heavily on how you formatted the SD card. If you used 512 byte clusters, then it can take a very long time, several hours (because the FAT chain gets very long, and it's rewriting the entire chain after writing each cluster). If you format it with 64kb clusters, the same map can upload in 20 minutes.

If you're planning to store a lot of tiny files, then 64kb clusters will lose a lot of space. But if you're storing large fies (like maps, or anything that's hundreds of kb), then you don't lose much space.

To control the cluster size, I use "Storage Tools". When you format the SD card, you lose everything on it.

Also be aware that if you send an entire map, the PDA may be unable to open the file when it finally gets there. Most PDAs have a maximum file size somewhere around 300 - 400Mb, caused by time it takes to open such a large file.

To get round this, using memory map 5, you can define a "closed" route and then send the enclosed map area to the PDA. (route starts and ends at same waypoint)

Memory map have defined a series of closed routes that cover the entire UK and divide it into files sizes that

are small enough to be reliably loaded into a PDA. You can download this file from their website.

I have MM5 and load whole maps to my PDA memory card. Depending on the size of the map it usualy takes about 10 to 20 minutes.

You can load a whole region, (sometimes two Regions), onto a 1Gb SD card in about 5 mins using a card reader. I have the whole of the UK Regions on SD cards and just choose the appropriate card wherever I am.

Edited by Lost in Space