GeoCoinClub December Issue

Go-mad-Cow

Looks Native American meets Mardi Gras.

I believe the fish are Northwest Indian symbols for dolphins and I think the face is supposed to be the moon.

The moon is the protector of the earth so that would explain the earth above.

I was thinking maybe Japanese theme to me.

Jayman11

Hmmmmm...I wonder....

The winter solstice marks the shortest day and the longest night of the year. The sun appears at its lowest point in the sky, and its noontime elevation appears to be the same for several days before and after the solstice. Hence the origin of the word solstice, which comes from Latin solstitium, from sol, "sun"

and -stitium, "a stoppage." Following the winter solstice, the days begin to grow longer and the nights shorter.

I thought Mike said more in the Blog entry, but he didn't.

Let's see what I can find...

I found less than I thought I would. What I know is that Rusty goes off with Libby for occassional trips around North America and he inevitably starts doodling and we inevitably see it in either one of his PersonalGeocoins.com designs or somethign we do in the club. If I remember right, the detail on the ROT-13 in January was such an inspiration as was the 2005 August FF Dance.

That probably isn't as philisophical as you'd like, but I'll do some thinking, put some of my pomo philosophy studies to work and give you a detailed analysis if you really want it, but I wouldn't listen to me and TMA should know better.

LOL. We may need to get the official word from Rusty, but here is what I think I know:

- Based on Native American themes because we were both impressed recently with that art form on independant trips

- Rusty's design is based loosely on a myth about how the seasons change in the upper northern areas. The "fish" (could be dolphins...) are actually eating the light and dark, symbolizing the change of seasons.

I'll get more info and post it. As for what kind of trip it was... it's a fun debate so let 'er rage on :santa:

It is colorful, back is nice also. Loved the little extras the Santas put in while packaging the monthly coin:)

Me, tooo! I want to get an extra set and turn them into earrings :huh: I wear a lot of different earrings and I haven't found a geocaching pair I like. But these would do the trick. And when I lose one, I can put the other in a cache. :surprise:

They would also make great zipper pulls. :(

It is colorful, back is nice also. Loved the little extras the Santas put in while packaging the monthly coin:)

Me, tooo! I want to get an extra set and turn them into earrings :huh: I wear a lot of different earrings and I haven't found a geocaching pair I like. But these would do the trick. And when I lose one, I can put the other in a cache. :surprise:

They would also make great zipper pulls. ;)

I don't know what my reaction would be if someone had my PT on their ears. That would seem to be showing some "stalker-like tendencies". :(

But I think you're right. I use them as zipper pulls on the front vents of my bike jacket.

Back to the coin, though...

It's Rusty from Rusty and Libby. Rusty's one of us "GCC Founder"-types.

(GeocacheOhio coins go in the store today...)

Well the site says:

Rusty's design is based loosely on a myth about how the seasons change in the upper northern areas. The "fish" (could be dolphins...) are actually eating the light and dark, symbolizing the change of seasons

Not sure that's what your looking for though.

Well the site says:

Rusty's design is based loosely on a myth about how the seasons change in the upper northern areas. The "fish" (could be dolphins...) are actually eating the light and dark, symbolizing the change of seasons

Not sure that's what your looking for though.

Thanks...I finally found that description at the store. Was looking at the club home page for answers all along. So, I guess the "official" name is "Northern Native Inspiration"

The name is just something we needed for the store. You can call it what you'd like.

Rusty did the design and hasn't spoken up about it. Maybe if we get the whoe room chanting, he'll have to tell us what he had in mind.

I like speculation more, though. What do "they" say about the artist, the art and the viewer/participant?